A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

Trail into Portomarin

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
Hi. I’m in Morgade with limited internet.

Last week or so, someone posted a map of the two trails into Portomarin; the old and the new one to the left.

Can someone help me find that and give me a link? I’ve searched but can’t find it.

Thanks.

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
On the high ground above Portomarin is a big map on a board. It shows the 3 routes, as the junction where you need to choose.

Mark McCarthy

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2014 2015
Lourdes 2 SdC 2016
Sarria 2 SdC April&Oct 2016 & (April 2018)
Camino Baztan June 2017
There are three routes. The new route to the right is very steep and brings you out on the south west side of the bridge. The other two routes bring you out to the south east of the bridge. The leftmost C. Complimentario route adds a few hundred extra metres but is by far the most comfortable route. The middle most "direct" route is shortest but takes you down a very rocky path which is difficult when dry and treacherous when wet. I much prefer the leftmost C. Complimentario route.

cathn

Camino(s) past & future
Completed one 550 Miile and six partial caminos
There are three routes. The new route to the right is very steep and brings you out on the south west side of the bridge. The other two routes bring you out to the south east of the bridge. The leftmost C. Complimentario route adds a few hundred extra metres but is by far the most comfortable route. The middle most "direct" route is shortest but takes you down a very rocky path which is difficult when dry and treacherous when wet. I much prefer the leftmost C. Complimentario route.
At age 74 I took the shorter path which , although difficult at times was yet another good hurdle to overcome.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - central from Porto (2018 - planned)
We took the leftmost (longer but less steep and rocky). My knees were completely shot at that point and it seemed the wisest course.

Camino(s) past & future
2012 SJPP-Burgos, 2014 Burgos-Leon, 2018 Leon-Santiago
The right is not rocky at all and less steep, imo.
Agreed. For me in this case the Complementary route was the way to go. Sometimes it’s not, as when the rains end and the river crossing is no longer washed out.

Regards,
Paul

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.6%