• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail Mantra

My first Camino will begin in a few weeks. I am looking for a simple mantra to recite each day for 20-30 minutes as I walk. I have an idea that this might provide a deeper spiritual element to this experience. Have any of you done this? What has been your experience? Is there a mantra you would share with me?
Thank You.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OMG Falcon, I am still rolling on the floor...

But i've found useful:

I AM PRESENT NOW.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I prayed the Rosary. It has a great walking rhythm, it´s practically autonomic, and it slips me right into meditative walking. Since I finished the camino a month ago I´ve kept the little thing in my pocket and use it randomly throughout the day. It puts me right back onto the camino, where I feel centered and well. Aside from that, it´s a powerful spiritual tool, capable of changing the world! You don´t have to be Catholic to use one.

All mantras aside, I find I often have songs "stuck in my head" when I walk, for days I´ll be hearing the same tune, over and over, even in the night when I´m sleeping. Thankfully, this time it was something suitable and nice: "Over the Rainbow."
A friend said she kept hearing "Highway to Hell!"

Reb.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are right, the song thing, I have it too, as well as a poem I learned at school in French Classes....C'est un trou de verdure ou chante une riviere, Rimbaud I think. I had forgotten the poem and spent several days piecing the bits together again, repeating the same words over and over again until I found the next part of the line. It sure distracted me from footpain and other things...Gitti

There was a point on the Meseta, not having seen another soul (nor a tree, for that matter) for the entire day, that I started singing, "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On the Bedpost Overnight)? at the top of my lungs for hours. I'm not sure it provided me with a deeper spiritual experience but I'd like to think the nearby cows quite enjoyed it.

Discovering the fact I'm hardwired for the Rosary (either a result of childhood conditioning which I thought I'd cunningly sabotaged or perhaps it's just genetic) though initially a little disturbing proved really useful and at the very least helped keep my mind off minor discomforts for some of the time.
Less orthodox mantras, developed en route, could generally be classed as very bad 'Variations on a theme/rant by Job'. One used on the more challenging sections (e.g up to O'Cebriero in freezing sleet and mud-and maybe the mud and blisters were a very pale echo of his sores and dung heap?) was with minor variants :-
"Every step a pilgrims hope every step a prayer offered up to Christ our lord/Jesus Christ.... I hope you're (bloody) there" (the latter phrase more or less 'sotto voce' weather/mud dependent): :oops:
Nell aka grumpy old pilgrim

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Beauty before me, I walk with
Beauty behind me, I walk with
Beauty above me, I walk with
Beauty below me, I walk with
Beauty all around me, I walk with

OR

Here and ow I take another step
Here and now I'm breathing in and out
Here and now I'm standing in this space
Here and now I see this flower
Here and now I put my face into the wind
Here and Now I'm OK

They worked for me :)

...in addition though I could never remember the whole thing as quoted below I did on occasion use the penultimate stanza of Faeth Fiada/St Patricks Breast Plate as a walking prayer . As a eighth century Christian adaptation of a (or possibly three) druidic incantation(s) for protection that also includes references to "Swiftness of wind,..Stability of earth, Firmness of rock...and God's strength to pilot me" it not only covers quite a lot of culturally diverse bases but seems to have a special resonance for pilgrims.

St Patricks breast Plate/Faeth Fiada

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through the belief in the threeness,
Through confession of the oneness
Of the Creator of Creation

I arise today
Through the strength of Christ's birth with his baptism,
Through the strength of his crucifixion with his burial,
Through the strength of his resurrection with his ascension,
Through the strength of his descent for the judgment of Doom.

I arise today
Through the strength of the love of Cherubim,
In obedience of angels,
In the service of archangels,
In hope of resurrection to meet with reward,
In prayers of patriarchs,
In predictions of prophets,
In preaching of apostles,
In faith of confessors,
In innocence of holy virgins,
In deeds of righteous men.

I arise today
Through the strength of heaven:
Light of sun,
Radiance of moon,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of wind,
Depth of sea,
Stability of earth,
Firmness of rock.

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me:
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me
From snares of devils,
From temptations of vices,
From everyone who shall wish me ill,
Afar and anear,
Alone and in multitude.

I summon today all these powers between me and those evils,
Against every cruel merciless power that may oppose my body and soul,
Against incantations of false prophets,
Against black laws of pagandom
Against false laws of heretics,
Against craft of idolatry,
Against spells of witches and smiths and wizards,
Against every knowledge that corrupts man's body and soul.

Christ to shield me today
Against poison, against burning,
Against drowning, against wounding,
So that there may come to me abundance of reward.

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

I arise today

Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the threeness,
Through confession of the oneness,
Of the Creator of Creation.

Nell

om mani padme hum
its the tibetan buddhist universal mantra
the 6 syllables are said to contain all of buddhas 84 thousand teachings
H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama's definition
"Thus the six syllables, om mani padme hum, mean that in dependence on the practice of a path which is an indivisible union of method and wisdom, you can transform your impure body, speech, and mind into the pure exalted body, speech, and mind of a Buddha
go to:
http://www.dharma-haven.org/.../meaning-of-om-mani-padme-hung.htm

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I often used a rosary or the Jesus Prayer:

Lord Jesus Christ
Son of God
have mercy on me
a sinner.

basta lomo basta lomo ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Bread of Heaven" - speeded up or slowed down, depending on terrain and/or energy levels.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Nice topic!
Out of nowhere the phrase "now is now" came into my head and I would find myself repeating it over and over. It really forced me to focus on the moment, each breath and each step. If I stopped and started to look at my map/guide book or wonder "how long until XYZ?" I would become anxious or, for that matter, even tired.
"Now is Now!"
:D

Can I just say that I really enjoyed reading this thread, the mix of deeply meaninful spiritual thoughts mixed with the hilarious shorter mantras is brilliant, a real sample of how we respond to and deal with the Camino in different ways, all valid but very different.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
ps I showed my wife this thread and she suggests Poco Poco, Poco Poco

To a little tune I made up, in my head (and sometimes out loud) I sang:

I can I can I can,
I can I can I can,
I can I can
I can I can
I can because I am.

I didn't think of this as a mantra but as I started walking each morning I repeated "I am a spiritual being trying to learn to be human. How can I bring those two states closer today?" Sometimes I had an answer and sometimes not but it did give a focus for the day.

My mantra though was definitely 'cafe con leche ahorita por favor". (apologies to anyone who doesn't know that this means 'coffee with milk - right now, please')
Cecelia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My younger son was at a school for physically disabled and their school song was the poem "You can Smile" by A.H.Ackley. All I had to do when I felt like complaining was sing the song and picture those children, some hard of hearing, many in wheelchairs or on crutches, some with terminal disorders and my little aches and pains disappeared!

There are many troubles that will burst like bubbles,
There are many shadows that will disappear;
When you learn to meet them, with a smile to greet them,
For a smile is better than a frown or tear.

Chorus:
You can smile when you can't say a word,
You can smile when you cannot be heard;
You can smile when it's cloudy or fair,
You can smile anytime, anywhere.

Tho' the world forsake you, joy will overtake you,
Hope will soon awake you, if you smile today;
Don't parade yur sorrow, wait until tomorrow,
For your joy and hope will drive the clouds away.

Chrorus:

When the clouds are raining, don't begin complaining,
What the earth is gaining should not make you sad;
Do not be a fretter, smiling is much better,
And a smile will help to make the whole world glad.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
ggilmer1@nc.rr.com said:
My first Camino will begin in a few weeks. I am looking for a simple mantra to recite each day for 20-30 minutes as I walk. I have an idea that this might provide a deeper spiritual element to this experience. Have any of you done this? What has been your experience? Is there a mantra you would share with me?
Thank You.

The Lord's Prayer
Our Father which art in heaven!
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth
as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil:
For thine is the kingdom,
power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

I have to confess to endless repetitions of beatles songs and others of that vintage. Over and over again drving any walking companions crazy. Or indeed all some of the above suggestions - I now know how many decades of the Rosary cover 1 kilometre! To be used in difficult cricumstances :)

Mostly the words which go around and around in my head on the Mesta are:

One more step along the world I go,
one more step along the world I go;
from the old things to the new
keep me traveling along with you:

Refrain:
And it's from the old I travel to the new;
keep me traveling along with you.

Round the corner of the world I turn,
more and more about the world I learn;
all the new things that I see
you'll be looking at along with me:

As I travel through the bad and good,
keep me traveling the way I should;
where I see no way to go
you'll be telling me the way, I know:

Give me courage when the world is rough,
keep me loving though the world is tough;
leap and sing in all I do,

You are older than the world can be,
you are younger than the life in me;
ever old and ever new,

There is a tune to this which is now fixed in my mind! Google it if you want to find it but beware once it is in there it takes some time to leave :)

ps - on second thoughts, here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhtSwx7c ... re=related

A selection of Camino Jewellery
nursery rhymes can drive you scatty
try the grand olde duke of york
The grand old Duke of York,
He had ten thousand men;
He marched them up to the top of the hill,
And he marched them down again.

And when they were up, they were up,
And when they were down, they were down,
And when they were only half-way up,
They were neither up nor down
if you can get a crowd of pilgrims belting this out at the tops of their voices, you might shift a few milarios

I wore the Tibetan script of Om Mani Padme Hum on a silver chain round my neck during my Camino. I also found that I enjoyed reciting poems. Many moons ago :roll: in my schooldays we had to memorize a different poem every week and some have stuck in my memory. Trying to remember them correctly and repeating them over and over to find an elusive word helped to distract me from pain and tiredness.

Sandra :arrow:

Interesting to read a little of what's going on inside.....

There's a clear division between East and West, I think.

In the East, in Hindu India anyway, a mantra is not a word but a sound, which seeks to eliminate or sidestep thought; it has no intrinsic semantic value. It is intended to invite the unconscious, or the absence of thinking.

In the West, what some now call a mantra, is really a prayer- it has words and thoughts and is something to think about. Therefore, it isn't a mantra; it's a contemplation on the conscious level, and goes no further.

This is a prayer
"All you need is love,
love is all you need".

"Nothing you can do that can't be done...
Nothing you can (sing) that can't be (sung)..." etc, ad infinitum.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know about mantras, but I think I will be thinking a lot about my mother, who died 11 years ago at age 62. When I stepped into the chapel at her memorial service, I had to work really hard to control my emotions, because I was afraid I would fall completely apart. It took every ounce of effort I could muster to maintain my composure when I stood up to speak about her life. I basically haven't been able to cry since that day ...

This is a day the Lord has made. Rejoice, & be glad in it.

(particularly helpful when slogging through rain & mud)

Another thing to do is find your high school (or college) fight song & put it on your iPod. I made record time one day by playing my high school's fight song, as well Sousa's "National Emblem" which was also used by my school, over & over & over again on my iPod.

Or just get a collection of Sousa marches to walk to. There's a reason marches are, er, marches. :)

Kelly

"And, in the end, the love you take
Is equal to the love you make."

(needless to say for Boomers : Beatles' lyric from Abbey Rd)

buen camino
Peter

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the reminder...I used to count my steps. I'd count to 100 and then start all over again.
I also used the word "Camino" as a mantra. One "Camino" for every 2 steps works perfectly. Singing worked too except I didn't know a lot of the words so I just hummed those parts. "Smile and the world smiles with you."
Sue

I was thinking about that too, and the one I may decide to us is from James Twyman
"Love be in me, love be as me" Hope you find one that resonates with you, if not trust and one will come when you are not looking for it. Failing all let the camino help you decide when you get there. Happy days

Hola!
You would be finding your rhythm for sure if you committed this Love Sonnet to memory....
Spreading and deepening this unchanging and eternal heart "force" for oneself, for the path, for the earth, for one's god...for all ...that is...(and more!)

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Shakespeare (whoever this maybe...)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have not gone yet, but I expect my favourite will fast become "God is power, God is power" which, btw is the same I use when I cant sleep...

Buen Camino

Caminando said:

In the East, in Hindu India anyway, a mantra is not a word but a sound, which seeks to eliminate or sidestep thought; it has no intrinsic semantic value. It is intended to invite the unconscious, or the absence of thinking.
In the West, what some now call a mantra, is really a prayer- it has words and thoughts and is something to think about. Therefore, it isn't a mantra; it's a contemplation on the conscious level, and goes no further.

But repetition of a prayer -and I'm not talking here of saying a decade or so or the whole Rosary or any simple daily office just once or twice- has the potential to take you outside of yourself in a similar way. When walking and saying the Rosary I found that if I was interrupted I couldn't 'start up where I left off' as I wouldn't be able to recall where I was in the cycle....so I'd just start off with the Joyful Mystery all over again. My walking partner tells me I was praying in sequence and leading off with the right introductions but was obviously on 'auto pilot'.
Long term "contemplation on the conscious level" is difficult and therefore the repetitive nature and length of say a novena will almost inevitably bring many people 'off road' to that place of unconscious/ absence of thought. I found a sort of daily ebb and flow- with prayer morphing into mantra and back again. And, if I'm honest, in many instances I was actively seeking that 'removal' from the immediacy of the physical (mud,sleet,heat etc) world :oops:

nellpilgrim said:
Caminando said:

.... with prayer morphing into mantra and back again.

Nice phrase! East meets West?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"A simple mantra to recite each day....."

"Where's the next yellow arrow/waymark?" :mrgreen:

I took these words by Lynne from this very Forum with me on a little piece of paper, and when the going got tough up I used to put the piece of paper in my pocket and read from it:

"......concentrate on only the next step; and keep walking.
Think about what is working well
- not about your aches and pains.
Don't think about the total number of kilometres you are walking.
Only think about what you are walking today.
Right now.
Step by step, hill by hill, rest stop by rest stop
- that's how you accomplish your goal."

So I used to tell myself- " Only think about what you are walking today. Right now. Step by step, hill by hill, rest stop by rest stop" and it always got me up the next hill, and somehow I felt as if Lynne was walking beside me, encouraging me!!!

I have turned this quote from Lynne into a blog post: http://kiwinomadsphotos.blogspot.com/2010/06/step-by-step.html

Margaret

PS: And for the climb up on the Napoleon Route I found myself singing "Climb Every Mountain" from Sound of Music. It was a remarkably effective marching sung when sung slowly in time with the feet!!! "Climb every mountain- ford every stream- follow every rainbow- till you find your dream". And amazingly enough, the first night of the Pyrenees climb, at Orisson, we had an unforgettably beautiful rainbow stretch across the evening sky in front of the mountains.

I carried a pouch full of prayers that my friends and family had written. I carried it to the tomb of Santiago. I had over eighty prayers. I would recite the names of every person who wrote a prayer that I carried, and would get it blessed in Pilgrim masses along the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are several things that ran through my thought processes a lot of the time.
One was whenever I encountered rude, lousy, noisy, disrespectful pilgrims and locals I would need to remember to breathe deeply and smile without getting frustrated.

The other, for the seemingly endless days of walking alone, was to address some of my 'problem areas' in my life by verbalising and literally talking my problems through out loud (important to do this alone, as you'll be taken as a mad-person!) I found it not only relaxing, but felt like at the end of the day I had solved a few things.

I liked making up songs too, just singing what you see can be fun, especially when walking in small groups. This can really break up the monotony of some of the longer, flatter Meseta days.

My mantra, it turned out, was a mash-up of two hymns, both with the same tune...

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught is all else to me, save that Thou art
Be there at my waking, and give us we pray
Peace in our hearts, Lord, at the end of the day

It popped into my head at the top of the Alto de Perdon, and I sang it either out loud or in my head for the rest of the journey. I even sang it to my dinner companions one evening, in exchange for their songs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love this topic as I am mad about mantras - I use them every day.

I will be walking in September and I have bought myself the Brierley guidebook, which I see has a section for reflections every day. I have written down a small mantra and a prayer for each day in this section, which I will read before I start walking.

There are also 72 sacred names for God - I will use these as well.

If anyone is interested, Henry Marshall and The Playshop Family have cd's of mantras (check out their website) - these are absolutely super.

My favourite daily (gratitude) mantra is :

Dhanyavad Dhanyavad Dhanyavad Ananda

which means : Blessed thanks, blessed thanks, blessed thanks, Bliss. (It comes off the fabulous cd called : "Mantras to Change your World II" by Henry Marshall.

Lovely to hear that so many folks use positive mantras while they walk.

Jane

Like an advertising ditty you cannot get out of your mind:

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.

I started this thread and am grateful to everyone who inspired me. For me using a mantra is very helpful. I created one of my own and find using the mantra at the beginning of each day as I start walking keeps me focused and reminds me of why I am doing the walk. It also helps when the going gets tough. Good luck everyone with your mantra.
tijax :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I guess you may need to be French to sing the song Ultreya:

Tous les matins nous prenons le chemin...

We learned it in Conques, and sang it pretty all the way to Santiago, where we made fools of ourselves by singing it on top of our lungs. Oh, dreadful French pilgrims.
But now, it comes in handy when I start the day.

I also like a litany to all my favorite saints:
St James walk with me, or help me walk today, etc.

The Rosary is also great for some of us. I never got quite into it. Maybe because I did not carry one. This time, I will :) Thanks for the inspiration!

claire

I,too, sing when the going gets tough on the trail. You Lift Me Up, Seize The Day, Servant Song and little songs I make up to keep my feet going. I suspect I will employ these when I walk the Camino in Sept.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One prayer that I use often is one that I took from the Jesus prayer; for me it works better when I walk:

O my Father and my God,
Have mercy on me, a sinner,
I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Hours can pass by very quickly for me when using this. It helps me pick up my pace and lighten the load.

The Divine Mercy found me years ago and transformed my way of thinking, being and loving. Even the most hardened sinner, if he recites this Chaplet even once, will receive grace from God's Infinite Mercy. Read more: http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/d ... z1W9Y8hN3g!

There is a chaplet using the rosary beads, but I am pretty slow, so usually said:-

For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

If any person came to mind, from my past, family, a local, fellow pilgrim etc I would insert their name where "us" is.

It's hard to explain but by mid afternoon your breathing as you say the prayer, your walking steps and your heart are all in synch. You become at one and at peace, your physical body, psyche and spirit are united in saying it. The intensity and depth of prayer was profound.

The Jesus Prayer is very hard to improve upon - "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me, a sinner."

The Ave is always also good - "Hail Mary, full of grace, blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death." and from that you can do a full Rosary or just the Angelus.

These are tried and true. Been working for Christians for centuries. :D

€149,-
"Breathing in, I arrive. Breathing out, I arrive." (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Looking forward to trying this one, and some others, on my walk in a few weeks!

pilgrimyogi said:
"Breathing in, I arrive. Breathing out, I arrive." (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Looking forward to trying this one, and some others, on my walk in a few weeks!

What a cool mantra!

claire

michaelwalker said:
The Divine Mercy found me years ago and transformed my way of thinking, being and loving. Even the most hardened sinner, if he recites this Chaplet even once, will receive grace from God's Infinite Mercy. Read more: http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/d ... z1W9Y8hN3g!

There is a chaplet using the rosary beads, but I am pretty slow, so usually said:-

For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

If any person came to mind, from my past, family, a local, fellow pilgrim etc I would insert their name where "us" is.

It's hard to explain but by mid afternoon your breathing as you say the prayer, your walking steps and your heart are all in synch. You become at one and at peace, your physical body, psyche and spirit are united in saying it. The intensity and depth of prayer was profound.

Michael, this is excellent; thank you for sharing. I had never considered using these, but they would be wonderful on pilgrimage.

€46,-
hi,

i have no idea about matras, but i know from experience that reciting the prayer of the heart:
"Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of David, have mercy on me, sinner."
has a great power.
one week on the camino with this prayer changed my life.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back