• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail markers from 2001

kimgaspesie

Quebec, Canada
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2001 and 2022.
Portuguese June 25, 2024
Would anyone happen to have photos of any trail markers on the Frances around 2001?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Would anyone happen to have photos of any trail markers on the Frances around 2001?

It was before I had a decent digital camera and no "cloud" in which to store photos, but I managed to find this one. If you enlarge the thumbnail and look carefully you will see a yellow arrow painted on the drainpipe on the right side of the photo. It was in 2001, in September.

Young hiker Ian (1).jpeg

There were some simple mojones, and in some towns metal scallop shells embedded in the footpath, but I don't have any photos. The yellow arrows were prolific even then. They were by far the most common trail marker.

It was before I had a decent digital camera and no "cloud" in which to store photos, but I managed to find this one. If you enlarge the thumbnail and look carefully you will see a yellow arrow painted on the drainpipe on the right side of the photo. It was in 2001, in September.

View attachment 138650

There were some simple mojones, and in some towns metal scallop shells embedded in the footpath, but I don't have any photos. The yellow arrows were prolific even then. They were by far the most common trail marker.
Thank you for that. I walked in February 2001 and for the life of me can only remember the arrows and not what the stone markers looked like. Pre-digital camera days definitely made for fewer photos!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked my first Camino in 2000 and have some pictures with both painted arrows and the mojones. I have an actual picture album (which I haven’t looked at for ten years or so, probably, so thank you!) but nothing scanned, so here is a bad picture of one of my pictures.

8A873A3D-21BD-47BF-B162-19545B1D6691.jpeg

A few years later, back on the Francés, there were awful signs of that goofy guy stick figure, I think it was the official symbol of the Xacobeo, maybe for 2004? There are still a few of them around on different caminos, but thankfully they are pretty much gone. A quick google search isn’t bringing it up and I’m sure I never took a picture! But they probably wouldn’t have been around in 2001.

Edit — Aha, I found him — there were markers all over the place with this guy and an arrow.
8212244F-9608-4749-AF00-37A04C7C17DE.png

Last edited:
I walked my first Camino in 2000 and have some pictures with both painted arrows and the mojones. I have an actual picture album (which I haven’t looked at for ten years or so, probably, so thank you!) but nothing scanned, so here is a bad picture of one of my pictures.

View attachment 138652

A few years later, back on the Francés, there were awful signs of that goofy guy stick figure, I think it was the official symbol of the Xacobeo, maybe for 2004? There are still a few of them around on different caminos, but thankfully they are pretty much gone. A quick google search isn’t bringing it up and I’m sure I never took a picture! But they probably wouldn’t have been around in 2001.

Edit — Aha, I found him — there were markers all over the place with this guy and an arrow.
View attachment 138653
I remember him. He/she looks like a take on Miro.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, he was there even on my first camino, 2001. Was it only in Galicia? I can't remember.
In 1993, he was all over the Francès. Some places began sidelining him even as early as 1994, but it was a slow process, so that even today, you can still come across him here and there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found a few examples of some trail markers from my time on the Frances in October-November 2001. I hope these bring back some nice memories for you, like they did for me! I recall the Frances was so well marked that I found my way without any guidebook, maps or apps 😊

Attachments

• B4A85D38-BE00-48BC-8F03-8E61ADA3411B.jpeg
    B4A85D38-BE00-48BC-8F03-8E61ADA3411B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20451DC3-09D6-4059-B7A4-89A9B4F82B7C.jpeg
    20451DC3-09D6-4059-B7A4-89A9B4F82B7C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 7BBC5866-949A-425A-BC83-8B7025EAEDD2.jpeg
    7BBC5866-949A-425A-BC83-8B7025EAEDD2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
I found a few examples of some trail markers from my time on the Frances in October-November 2001. I hope these bring back some nice memories for you, like they did for me! I recall the Frances was so well marked that I found my way without any guidebook, maps or apps 😊
Haha 2001 'Apps' 😂

Thank you! I wasn't sure if the concrete markers had colour-you've answered my question. Yes, it was well-marked, yet I still managed to get lost on two occasions! 😄

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

View attachment 138652

Look what I saw on my 2022 Geira. Since the Geira wasn’t marked in 1993, I’m not sure where this came from.

View attachment 138740
A-ha! Here he is. Upper right-hand corner of the sign.

Attachments

• 16724350808115671117789493389289.jpg
    16724350808115671117789493389289.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back