• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail markers

KentuckyJay

Time of past OR future Camino
Hiked Leon to Santiago in May, 2014.
Hiked Porto to Santiago in May, 2016.
I'm a compulsive planner. Even though I won't be on the Camino until late April, I already have been making plans and studying the Michelin guide, as well as Brierly's. While both guides are obviously similar, Michelin's illustrates one route while Brierly's often gives several options. For those of you who have been there and done that, I have a question. Are the optional trails also marked with the familiar arrows or shells?
I have done 1800 miles of the Appalachian Trail in the U.S. and it is marked with white 2"by 6" slashes on trees, rocks, fence posts---. Alternate trails must be marked with a slash of another color. Anything similar on the Camino?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The alternatives I took on the CF were all marked. In most cases there was an indication at the point where the alternative route split off, and then the usual markers along the way

The alternatives I took on the CF were all marked. In most cases there was an indication at the point where the alternative route split off, and then the usual markers along the way

True, but the important phrase here is 'in most cases'. Of course we all look for the famous yellow arrows and/or stylized shells but they may be small or large, high or low, painted on a rock, nailed to a tree, etc. When the path is further hidden by fog, rain, mud or snow any marker can be especially hard to spot. Sections of the CF and the alternates are tended by various local groups. Hence, like everything else on the camino, and in life, there is NO CONSISTENT marking system. Enjoy the challenge!!

Margaret Meredith

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, the alternatives that I have been on are all marked with arrows. These alternatives are:
a. Between Uterga and Puenta La Reina. A beautiful little church at Eunate - highly recommended
b. Between Villatuerta and Estella, via Zarapuz. Not specially scenic except for the view over Estella, and you miss out on Estella. Not recommended
c. Between Irache (just after Estella) via Puenta and Luquin tp Cruce. Beautiful walk mostly through woods and with great views over the valley to the mountain range to the north. No food or drinks available on this route until you get to Los Arcos. Recommended.
d. Between Castanares and Burgos. The recommended route is on pavements beside busy roads. The alternative is beside the river and through parkland all the way, easy to find and follow although not many arrows at first but just keep going alongside the river. Definitely recommended.
e. Between Fromista and Carrion, take the recommended route through Villovieco. Very pretty. For some stramge reason, most people walk alongside the busy road all the way to Carrion.
f. Between Villafranca del Bierzo and Trabadelo. The recommended route via the hills which used to be an alternative route is beautiful. The initial hill climb is steep but not long and once up in the hills there are great views and you look down far below to see most peregrinos walking beside the busy road. In spring the hills are covered with wild flowers. Highly recommended. I have heard good reports also of the alternative route via Dragonte and I would like to try this on my next camino.
g. Between Triacastela and Sarria. I have walked both routes and it is a difficult choice because Samos Monastery is impressive and well worth visiting, and the alternative via San Xil is very beautiful and quieter.
I have only commentated on the routes in Brierley's book, but there are of course many more alternatives for the more intrepid peregrine with maps.

Not to forget the choice between Route Napoleon and Route Valcarlos if you start from SJPP:)

And that first important turn sharply right off route D933 out of SJPdP was marked last October with a very small strip hardly wider than two ice pop sticks! Other markers when crossing the stream known as le Nive d'Arneguy and then meandering eventually to Valcarlos were very varied!! Hope to check whether the signage has improved later this October.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for the responses. They are most helpful. Can't wait to become a CF alumnus.

I too have walked parts of the Appalachian Trail in the U.S and enjoyed every minute. The experience there has little relevancy for the Camino Frances. The bits of the Appalachian Trail which I walked put me into areas of zero settlement and most of the time we were only two, all alone, total self-reliance and a need every five or six days to come down find some food and go back up again. True I am not good at planning but when you are hungry you are hungry! With the exception of one or two very short stretches, the Camino Frances offers hospitality, food, drink, shelter, and lodging at very short intervals. Many places you will never be more than an hour and a half from a refreshing cup of coffee or other beverage of choice, you may prepare your own dinner or eat in style-that remembering a dinner on the West Virginia/ Virginia border of pre-cooked rice and -well-green things - that is - weeds I plucked just before it got dark. With the exceptions mentioned above you will find the Camino over-marked reducing some to a constant lookout for that next arrow straight in front of them instead of enjoying the view and you will almost always have company. Buen Camino you will love it.

Scuffy I would love to do the Appalachian Trail. Next time you plan a trip let us all know!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I too have walked parts of the Appalachian Trail in the U.S and enjoyed every minute. The experience there has little relevancy for the Camino Frances. The bits of the Appalachian Trail which I walked put me into areas of zero settlement and most of the time we were only two, all alone, total self-reliance and a need every five or six days to come down find some food and go back up again. True I am not good at planning but when you are hungry you are hungry! With the exception of one or two very short stretches, the Camino Frances offers hospitality, food, drink, shelter, and lodging at very short intervals. Many places you will never be more than an hour and a half from a refreshing cup of coffee or other beverage of choice, you may prepare your own dinner or eat in style-that remembering a dinner on the West Virginia/ Virginia border of pre-cooked rice and -well-green things - that is - weeds I plucked just before it got dark. With the exceptions mentioned above you will find the Camino over-marked reducing some to a constant lookout for that next arrow straight in front of them instead of enjoying the view and you will almost always have company. Buen Camino you will love it.
Your comments pretty well summarize why at age 67 I'm going to transfer my carcass from the AT to the Camino. :)

We've taken a couple optional routes and found them to be well-marked. We saw this marker on the option past Estella on the way to Los Arcos. Humorous, but it was clear which way to continue on. Buen Camino!ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1379865021.842607.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back