• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail Marking

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: '06: SJPP -> San. '10 - '11: Pamplona -> Finisterre '12: Ponferrada -> San. CN: '12: Irun -> San
Hi Everyone
I did the camino Fances in 2006 and now I am trying to figure out if I should re-do it or opt for the Norte. I was wondering if someone could advise me on which guide book to buy? I have been hunting the web, but there ins't too much out there. Also, how well is the way marked on the north route? In '06 the "French" way was very, very well marked! Anyone out there who has done them both know how they compare in regards to trail markers, signs, etc.?
Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there, The Camino del Norte is very well marked, although if you expect it to be the same as the CF it doesn't compare. The waymarks on the CF can only be described as prolific whereas on the Norte I would describe them as adequate (and a few times - spartan - but there, nonetheless!). There are occasions when you will have to cast your eye around to find the next marker - but it should be there for you to find. There are discrepencies sometimes with the shells that are used as a sign, because different provinces have them pointing in different ways - somtimes it shows to follow the "pointy" end of the shell and in another province it is the opposite. You soon get used to it though and just adapt.

I have heard stories of people getting lost, but I never found this (unless it was my own carelessness), and successfully followed some interesting detours which were well signed.

It is a lovely way. Regards, Janet

We walked part of the Norte without a guidebook and did fine. You can pick up brochure guides in the albergues along the way that are very nice. I wrote a post about them yesterday, giving phone numbers to request information.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you both for info/advice! I was dead set on doing the CF again this year... but for some reason I am being pulled to do del Norte... should follow that inclination I suppose!
Thanks again!
:D

el nadador del sol said:
I was dead set on doing the CF again this year... but for some reason I am being pulled to do del Norte... should follow that inclination I suppose!

Do it - it's beautiful - sometimes by the sea over cliff paths with lovely views. In April the wild flowers were amazing. Some lovely places to visit - eg Santillana del Mar is not some Eastbourne type place (seaside resort) as I imagined but an ancient town with cobbled streets, a beautiful church and a lovely refuge in the grounds of a museum of the work of Jesus Otero - a 20 C sculptor. And it's near Altamira (get a taxi for 3 euros) so you can have art from 15,000BC, 1200AD and 20 C all in the same day!!!

Wow! You should write a travel guide -- this makes it sound absolutely beautiful! :)
(Thank you!)

Bridget and Peter said:
el nadador del sol said:
I was dead set on doing the CF again this year... but for some reason I am being pulled to do del Norte... should follow that inclination I suppose!

Do it - it's beautiful - sometimes by the sea over cliff paths with lovely views. In April the wild flowers were amazing. Some lovely places to visit - eg Santillana del Mar is not some Eastbourne type place (seaside resort) as I imagined but an ancient town with cobbled streets, a beautiful church and a lovely refuge in the grounds of a museum of the work of Jesus Otero - a 20 C sculptor. And it's near Altamira (get a taxi for 3 euros) so you can have art from 15,000BC, 1200AD and 20 C all in the same day!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back