• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail Runner Brands That Work for wide feet

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I did a search on shoes and got more results than I could ever read so please READ MY QUESTION BEFORE YOU RESPOND.

I'm looking for a trail runner for the Camino.
It is for a woman with large, wide feet. 9EEEE to be exact.
She cannot find New Balance.

What other trail runners run in very wide sizes that she might look into?

We are looking for a shoe with a deep, wide toebox and a narrow heel.

Please don't respond unless you have a suggestion for extra wide trail runners.
Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Altra is a well known manufacturer for wide an zero drop shoes. You might have to order a few pair to find one that works (for my wife and me it's the Lone Peak)

Inov8 also has a couple of extra wide models. I like their Roclite 290, but thats a bit more narrow.

Hoka has been mentioned as well in regards to wide shoes.

This shop seems to have a variety of wide models of even more brands: https://runrepeat.com/catalog/wide-trail-running-shoes

But in the end, all we can do is to give ideas. Shoes need to fit the foot, only way to find the perfect model is trial and error. I was lucky to find my perfect shoe after only 4 orders...

I have similar feet, and have a horrid time finding shoes that fit. Suggest she try the Oboz Sawtooth - the shoe, not the boot. It's a new shoe for me after walking in Keens for years (they discontined my shoe 😡).
So far, so good.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
La Sportiva, Nucleo High II GTX wide ... very nice! going against the grain, after the camino del Norte I decided that trail shoes are good but trail boots are better ;-)

but for a trail shoe ::
Ultra Raptor II Wide GTX == is my go to, bought a pair to replace my not good for
camino Hoka's ( too unbalanced because of height ) and never looked for another, I like the carbon fiber reinforcement, almost weightless , always wear liner and sock for break in, good luck

Last edited:
I'm walking this year in Altra Olympus 4 trail runners. In previous Camino's I wore Asolo boots, but I'm tired of the weight. As noted above Altra I'd known for their wide toe box. I've worn Altra Lone Peaks for the last 2 years and their wide toe box is very comfortable. The shoes themselves won't last as long as a rugged boot, but I think they will go the distance on the Camino.

Three points on the Altra options:

1. The Lone Peaks have less cushioning than the Olympus 4 model. My new pair of Olympus 4s feel like slippers and seem to provide more protection from trail surface irregularities.

2. The fabric uppers of Lone Peaks is waterproof while the uppers of the Olympus 4 is mesh that is designed to drain water from the shoe -- so it lets water in. Unless you wear them with waterproof socks, Olympus 4 will produce wet feet pretty quickly. (There are other threads on waterproof socks - I have three pairs from two brands and they all seem to work well as a work-around. The advantage of the mesh on dry days is enhanced breath ability.)

3. The weak point of the Lone Peaks is that in time small tears in the uppers seem to crop up just behind the toes where creases form as you walk. If I were walking the Camino in Lone Peaks I would carry a small tube of shoe repair goo. When cracks appear I've used the shoe goo to restore waterproof integrity. The goo spoils the cosmetic look of the shoe but seems to keep the water out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've just bought the Altra Lone Peak 6 and as mentioned above they have a really wide toe box which I need, they are super light and probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I did 20K's this morning, 15k's yesterday and they felt like slippers. I originally bought a pair of North Face ankle boots which were a bit more robust but they really started hurt just behind my right ankle. I opted for the Altra LP's as I figured less shoe, less to rub. I hope I am right! starting the Camino on April 18th so we will find out! Good luck.

If you are in the US, I recommend shopping at REI. You will get great help and can exchange what does not work. I ended up in La Sportiva ultra raptors. I went up several sizes as they run small. You want a shoe that is a 1/2 size up for swelling that will occur. I also added custom orthotics which help. I can also encourage trying Injinji toe socks, I loved the Cool Max best. I walked last year from Pamplona to Santiago without a single blister. Buen Camino

I have been using Nike Trail Wildhorse... They are very nice and wide up front. I recently got a new pair Nike Trail 1/2 size bigger and they are incredible comfortable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did a search on shoes and got more results than I could ever read so please READ MY QUESTION BEFORE YOU RESPOND.

Thanks.
I bought a pair of Solomons mens 9 extra wide at REI. They are wonderful. They have a thin wire system instead of the usual laces. They can be tightened up or fully loosened in a second. great support and sticky soles.

I'm looking at Brooks and Sketchers right now. They both come in wide/extra wide. Brooks can be found at REI and DICK's etc.... they are good looking shoes too. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just thought I'd toss this out there. . . Regular running shoes are more than adequate for a camino, depending on the specific model of a brand, and might open up more possibilities for finding a good match. For example, I use a Hoka Bondi because the last they use in that model is very roomy in an extra wide width.

New Balance, has more offerings in the extra, EXTRA, wide widths than virtually any other brand, but many of those are with their regular runners.

Thanks.
Hoka speedgoat 4 I have wide feet, fantastic room in the toe box. I bought a size and half up to allow for swelling. Also check out alternate lacing techniques I lace mine up for a wide forefoot.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Peg and I shopped at a nearby New Balance Factory Outlet last week. I just got off a call with them because I wanted to praise the customer service I got from one of their sales people. I also brought up the 9eeee problem. I asked in case they might have a closeout or second that would no longer show up on their website or retailers' websites. They did say they make their wides in 2e and 4e but womens' only up to 2e (which makes me wonder about that ebay sale). The mens' equivalent I was told was a 7.5 4e, there being a 1.5 US size difference between mens' and womens'.

Not much help but that's all I've got to give.

I have recently begun to search out and wear Women's D and EE running shoes. I currently have 3 different models in use. Even within the same brand (e.g. New Balance) shoes of the same nominal size can fit quite differently. One person's wide foot is quite different from another person's - the widest point may just be a bump on the side of one foot. So, only by trying shoes on, can you accept or reject a particular model.

It is my understanding that very few women's trail runners even come in D or EE width (let alone EEEE) so I have virtually given up on them. But a number of regular runners do. So, maybe she needs to widen the search beyond trail runners to running shoes. A newish pair should last through a Camino.

My advice would be to shop for a men's shoe. As she wears a women's 9, that should be possible. Since I am a 7.5 women's, there are fewer men's shoes in my size.

Last edited:
Another vote here for Altra Lone Peaks. I've walked many many kms in them and they can't be beat. I'm also fairly wide of forefoot and fairly narrow of heel. The Lone Peak 6s actually come in Wide this year, too, which is new to that line; so an already wide toebox has an even wider option, which might be just the ticket. Olympus also gets high marks but I prefer the greater ground feel of the LPs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am with @antepacem about the new wide width on the Altra Lone Peak 6s. One caveat about men's shoes: my experience is that the heel width is wider than a women's last. I never found a men's shoe that fit my narrower heel well, giving me heel spurs.

I have no issues withe the Altras.

Topo Athletic Ultraventure 2, wide toe box, 4mm drop. Very comfortable.
Wore Topo Zero Drops for my last two 1/2 marathons... no toe problems and they were excellent shoes. First time I had not worn Nike Free for a distance event and was very pleasantly surprised by Topo's fit and feel.

Peg and I shopped at a nearby New Balance Factory Outlet last week. I just got off a call with them because I wanted to praise the customer service I got from one of their sales people. I also brought up the 9eeee problem. I asked in case they might have a closeout or second that would no longer show up on their website or retailers' websites. They did say they make their wides in 2e and 4e but womens' only up to 2e (which makes me wonder about that ebay sale). The mens' equivalent I was told was a 7.5 4e, there being a 1.5 US size difference between mens' and womens'.

Not much help but that's all I've got to give.
That's good info. Where was the outlet?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's good info. Where was the outlet?
It was the Lawrence, Massachusetts outlet. I believe that New Balance makes their shoes in Lawrence. They have a least one other factory outlet in Brighton, Massachusetts but in my search I saw a customer review from a regular Brighton shopper that the outlets carried the same stock. I shopped the Brighton store many, many years ago. It was not as big as Lawrence but Lawrence also has clothing.

Not everything new is discounted but the number of choices and sizes is large. A large percentage of the styles looked colorful and seemed to be made to appeal to the younger crowd. The trail runners I got were more colorful than I expected this boomer to like.

BTW, they had a gizmo like a scale that would measure your feet. I suppose women could use it but ask for mens' measurements to be output. Might be useful for instep arch and heel (ball) measurements that the old fashion devices don't give.
PXL_20220224_180703830.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I tried a pair of Salomon Speedcross in the wide version and found that rather being wide across the middle of the foot, the extra width seemed to be around the heel! Not what I was expecting. I kept stepping out of them. I gave them away. Disappointing, as I'm a big fan of Speedcross even though I find the toebox a tad narrow

I also plan to wear Altra LonePeaks. I’m testing out their Timps right now, and while they have more cushion, the LonePeaks are still more comfortable. I will have to try the Olympus 4 shoe. I’ll be walking in September/October this year.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This is more an expression of sympathy than actual help. On the local market (Canberra, Australia), I have only been able to find two brands with trail runners that have a genuine 4E fitting, New Balance and ASICS, and only in one or two models. More recently I have tried Hoka and la Sportiva, but their wide fit shoes were still too narrow for me. I have used walking shoes from Lowa, Scarpa and GriSport with a wide toe box, but not for long hiking days, and they are heavier, more solid shoes that have lasted many years, much longer than the typical life of a trainer or trail runner.

Last edited:
I also plan to wear Altra LonePeaks. I’m testing out their Timps right now, and while they have more cushion, the LonePeaks are still more comfortable. I will have to try the Olympus 4 shoe. I’ll be walking in September/October this year.
The original Timps were the widest.
Now it seems the Lone Peak is wider.
I have gone through Timp1, 2,3 and Lone Peak 3,4,5. (9 pairs total) I'm hearing LP 6 is very nice,, but haven't tried yet.. All last about 600-700 miles (1000k) and then become "work shoes" for me. Once the sole has collapsed, they are no.longer my friend for long walks even if she'll is staying together.

I do support work on an Ultra Marathon each year. 165 miles. 75% of the runners are in Altra. HOWA is the balance. These people know shoes....

I walked in HOKA trail runners in 2018. The come in wide sizes & I had no problems what so ever. Highly recommend them

€46,-
I just want to echo what others have said... I feel the same pain! I have similar size feet and so far Lone Peak men's are my only option. A few years ago I tried other Altra's but the fit was wrong. I love Solomon GTX Ultra but a few years back they changed and became more narrow in the toe box and sadly even the new Wide Fit has not gone back to what it was.

I get so frustrated with shoe manufacturers... for one because their shoes are all different lengths, regardless of what the size is... and two they make them to a shape that doesn't match anyone's foot... I'm just hoping that one day things will improve... but so far the choice is super limited 😢

I've just bought the Altra Lone Peak 6 and as mentioned above they have a really wide toe box which I need, they are super light and probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I did 20K's this morning, 15k's yesterday and they felt like slippers. I originally bought a pair of North Face ankle boots which were a bit more robust but they really started hurt just behind my right ankle. I opted for the Altra LP's as I figured less shoe, less to rub. I hope I am right! starting the Camino on April 18th so we will find out! Good luck.
Hi
Do you know if the Altra shoes are true to size? I take a US 10.5 in Asics running shoes but a US 10 in Solomon ankle boots - which strangely enough I had the same problem as you describe having with your North Face boots. Due to the problems on the bone just above my right ankle I can no longer consider them as an option and need to look for a new shoe to see me through the camino. So very hard to know what size to order online. Any advice welcome. Thanks Linda

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hoka speedgoat 4 I have wide feet, fantastic room in the toe box. I bought a size and half up to allow for swelling. Also check out alternate lacing techniques I lace mine up for a wide forefoot.

I walked the Camino in 2015 in only 1 pair of Asics but these days I basically only hike distances in Hoka Speedgoats. Very very very comfy over distances. Takes a couple weeks to get used to all the extra cushion but it's very worth it over distance. I will be using a new pair for my Camino this year.

I’ve looked up the brands suggested and all seem to be in the high $100-$200. Anything under $100? $50’s preferably. ASICS womens gel venture 7 running shoes Are under $50. Are they good for the camino Frances?

I’ve looked up the brands suggested and all seem to be in the high $100-$200. Anything under $100? $50’s preferably. ASICS womens gel venture 7 running shoes Are under $50. Are they good for the camino Frances?

If you can walk or run good distances in Asics the Camino is absolutely doable in them. I walked with Asics GT2000s in 2015.

I think everyone would agree, though, that if you are going to splurge on any gear at all for the Camino it should be footwear. Keeping your feet as happy as possible is tough for everyone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi
Do you know if the Altra shoes are true to size? I take a US 10.5 in Asics running shoes but a US 10 in Solomon ankle boots - which strangely enough I had the same problem as you describe having with your North Face boots. Due to the problems on the bone just above my right ankle I can no longer consider them as an option and need to look for a new shoe to see me through the camino. So very hard to know what size to order online. Any advice welcome. Thanks Linda
I actually can't remember what size I bought, I'm out right now but will look when I get home. I really don't think I've ever worn anything so instantly comfortable. Re the Northface, they were fine for a while but when I ramped up the training they failed me

I have wide feet with narrow heels. Finding shoes to fit can be a nightmare. The new wide fit Lone Peak are the first time I've been able to wear any Altra shoe. (There is a big difference between a wide fit and just a wide toe box.) I bought a size bigger and could fit Injinji toe liner socks plus merino light hike socks. Plenty of width and I measure 3.5X wide. When lacing I use a runners heel lock this keeps my heel secure while allowing my forefoot to be as comfortably loose as I choose (depending on terrain). The heels of the Lone Peaks are very soft and that is where I have seen wear occur in this newer generation of LP's. Note of caution: these are zero drop shoes and can take time to get adjusted to. I absolutely love these shoes and have worn flat the bottom of my first pair though I've not had the opportunity to try them on a Camino yet.

Hi
Just checked mine, I wear a UK 11 and these are a UK and fit like a glove. Like someone else mentioned, these are zero drop but I have found no problems adjusting.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the Camino in 2015 in only 1 pair of Asics but these days I basically only hike distances in Hoka Speedgoats. Very very very comfy over distances. Takes a couple weeks to get used to all the extra cushion but it's very worth it over distance. I will be using a new pair for my Camino this year.
Does take a couple of weeks to get used to the extra cushioning but when alot of the trail is on tarmac this is a must.

Update on New Balance womens' 4E shoes. Good news.

Peg and I took a walk with friends this afternoon and I was talking with our friend Kate and somehow the topic turned to New Balance. Kate has two pairs of New Balance 4E shoes, one for walking and one for running. She passed on that New Balance makes 4Es but does not sell them (which might have let to a misunderstanding between me and a sales person and an incorrect statement made by me in an earlier post). Apparently NB has a contract with a reseller that they get all the womens' 4Es. Kate mentioned https://wideshoes.com which is the website for Hitchcock's Wide Shoes so they must be the outfit. They carry a good number of brands for both women and men.

Kate said that New Balance must use at least two different lasts (essentially foot model) as her running shoes have wider toe width than the walkers. I noticed on the website that the last identifier for the NBs was given in the shoe descriptions. Also you could see that some of the walkers had leather construction and others urethane. I recommend staying away from the urethane models. Kate was wearing a pair of them and I couldn't see how they could breathe. She didn't wear them for long walks though.

Kate mentioned that there was a good shipping to and fro policy but I might have gotten confused between Hitchcock and NB. Check for the shipping policy and information on differences in the lasts with Hitchcock. I didn't look for this information on the website myself.

The forum's gear guru, @davebugg, has said that using runners should be okay on the camino in place of trail runners so I hope you excuse me for straying from the exact details of the OP's request.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have walked in that same Asics women's model and they served me well on one of my long Caminos. In fact, I wore them at home on my local trail for another year hoping to wear them out.
That said, I have fairly normal feet with no real issues.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked in that same Asics women's model and they served me well on one of my long Caminos. In fact, I wore them at home on my local trail for another year hoping to wear them out.
Thank you!! I’ve been training with these (10 miles a day) and feet are holding up. Good to know they worked for you. I’ve got new ones for my March 20th CF. Buen Camino!

Thank you!! I’ve been training with these (10 miles a day) and feet are holding up. Good to know they worked for you. I’ve got new ones for my March 20th CF. Buen Camino!
Wow, it's just around the corner for you! Lucky you to be going so soon!
Good luck and Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll repeat the LUCKY YOU !!!
Buen Camino

I also struggle to find shoes that are wide enough.

Here's my current list of solutions actually owned, ranked from widest to narrowest (though still in various "wide" versions):
  1. Altra Lone Peak 5 wide. (The zero-drop took some getting used to, but a great last for my particular feet)
  2. New Balance Fresh Foam More Trail 10.5, 4E (I know you said you couldn't get these, but just listing for comparison purposes)
  3. Hoka Bondi 7 ultra wide (4E). I don't believe Hoka makes the 4e for women.
  4. Hoka Speedgoat 4 wide. Barely tolerable with a thin sock
  5. Hoka Bondi 7 wide ... not wide enough
The Hokas only seem to widen enough for me after the fifth metatarsal head - the base of the little toe. The Altra and New Balance models stay wide through that spot.

I do agree with @davebugg that a sneaker is fine for the Camino, although I would use one of my trail runners for the next one - probably the New Balance, which is almost as plush on the foot strike as the Bondis.

I don't believe I have as wide a foot as you described, but I have a "wide" need. I have stated before that I now depend on Altra and Keen as "go to" shoes - to include trail runners. Lots of options. And, as an aside, I don't trust all the people at REI - especially for shoes. Clothes / packs, mostly, but never again for shoes. (Ok, I know some will say that's a local issue - it is - but it's true for me). Stick with the advice from here and check it out for yourself. Buen Camino / Bom Caminho.....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks.
The Hoka Stinson ATR runs wider than other Hoka models, and does come in wide width... I wore these this past summer/fall on the Via Augusta and Via de la Plata. They stood up very well and carried me almost 1300 km. I really should have taken a second pair with me though as they were thrashed by the time I got to Santiago.

Too many replies to read them all but just in case no one mentioned it: there are different lacing techniques that will snug up the shoe for a narrow heel. Check on YouTube or ask the salesperson at a reputable running shoe store or REI.

Thanks.

I will be walking the Camino this year in Altra Lone Peak 6 Wides. The wides aren’t really much wider but there’s definitely more volume in the shoe than the standards

I couldn’t buy them in London but they arrived in a few days from the States

Today I walked 25 km on pavement in my standard width LPs and by late afternoon my feet had swelled a bit and filled the shoe.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Hoka Stinson ATR runs wider than other Hoka models, and does come in wide width... I wore these this past summer/fall on the Via Augusta and Via de la Plata. They stood up very well and carried me almost 1300 km. I really should have taken a second pair with me though as they were thrashed by the time I got to Santiago.
When I thru-hiked the PCT, I would have a new pair of shoes mailed with my resupply packages about every 500 miles/800 Km on average. I recommend that runners, both trail and street, be swapped out every 500 miles/800Km. At that point it is likely that the midsole cushioning and the supportive structure of the shoe has broken down to the point of being negligible.

For longer Caminos, mailing a second pair of shoes to a destination ahead of you might be a good strategy. If a pilgrim is outside of the Europe, bring the second pair on the flight, then mail them when arriving to start the Camino.

When the focus is for a lighter weight footwear that has much better cushioning for the feet, the materials are more friable than those used on heavier footwear which has much less cushioning. The actual reasons for choosing a trail or road running shoe is what makes their overall lifespan shorter.

Last edited:
When I thru-hiked the PCT, I would have a new pair of shoes mailed with my resupply packages about every 500 miles/800 Km on average. I recommend that runners, both trail and street, be swapped out every 500 miles/800Km. At that point it is likely that the midsole cushioning and the supportive structure of the shoe has broken down to the point of being negligible.

For longer Caminos, mailing a second pair of shoes to a destination ahead of you might be a good strategy. If a pilgrim is outside of the Europe, bring the second pair on the flight, then mail them when arriving to start the Camino.

When the focus is for a lighter weight footwear that has much better cushioning for the feet, the materials are more friable than those used on heavier footwear which has much less cushioning. The actual reasons for choosing a trail or road running shoe is what makes their overall lifespan shorter.

whereas my Lone Peak 4.5s survived the whole 500 miles last time, I remember that the life had gone out of the soles after the road-pounding of the Meseta.

This year I am going to donativo my half-life shoes at Leon and mail a re-supply box of new shoes and socks there before I leave. it’s a bit extravagant, but I think it will be worth the cost.

Thanks.
I loved my Salomon Extreme. Good tread. Can still walk another Camino. The fact that they have the non-elastic fast laces made them a perfect fit. I have wide feet and couldn’t get a shoe that fitted me. Bought the Salomon 2 sizes up. Had plenty of toe room to wriggle my toes even with swollen feet after walking. Walked like in slippers. Never had a single blister. They are the best trail runners on the market. Met several other people on the Camino who swore by them, too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have similar feet, and have a horrid time finding shoes that fit. Suggest she try the Oboz Sawtooth - the shoe, not the boot. It's a new shoe for me after walking in Keens for years (they discontined my shoe 😡).
So far, so good.
I second the Oboz! I went with the lowrise as I have very bony ankles :D. They do fit small, so go up a full size. They have a very stiff sole which I prefer but is not to everyone's preference.

Agree, they last used in the Timps feels narrower and I find that relaxing the insoles with green or orange superfeet gives me all manner of blisters

Hi
I find the Lone Peaks fit true to size in comparison with my running shoe size. I always half-size up for runners/trail shoes/hikers. So I'm a 7 in my day-to-day shoes, but a 7.5 in all athletic shoes, including Altras. So I would say go with whatever you usually wear in running/walking shoes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Update on New Balance womens' 4E shoes. Good news.

Peg and I took a walk with friends this afternoon and I was talking with our friend Kate and somehow the topic turned to New Balance. Kate has two pairs of New Balance 4E shoes, one for walking and one for running. She passed on that New Balance makes 4Es but does not sell them (which might have let to a misunderstanding between me and a sales person and an incorrect statement made by me in an earlier post). Apparently NB has a contract with a reseller that they get all the womens' 4Es. Kate mentioned https://wideshoes.com which is the website for Hitchcock's Wide Shoes so they must be the outfit. They carry a good number of brands for both women and men.
They carry wide sizes up to 8E in both men's and women's shoes, and a search on SL-2 brings up all the New Balances with the SL-2 last. Thank you, Rick!

Feet are so weird and although one can ask questions about width etc, actually trying out shoes is the only answer. I have the narrowest heel and very wide forefoot. New Balance don't suit my feet (heel seems too wide), Altras have the "break" in the wrong place. I recently tried on and eventually bought a pair of Hoka Bondi's that, to my surprise, seem to fit. So far so good, but I have not trialled them on a long walk yet.

I wear sandals on Camino, and plan on taking them to wear on the Primitivo because I love being able to walk straight through water, and wash mud off at the end of the day. But if the Hokas pass the long distance walk, I will take them as an alternative to wear on the Portuguese hard stone sets.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm happy to see this. I tried on on more several of the expensive shoes but my relatively small bunion immediately screamed. I'm going to start training hikes in these Asics tomorrow.

Thanks.
I too have large wide feet, plus a pinky toe that is a good inch higher than all of my other toes, which makes toeboxes a nightmare with most shoes. I finally found the Topo Terraventure 3 and it was PERFECT for the camino. I only had 2 weeks before the camino to wear it in, and not a single blister. Here's an online review I found helpful. It does mention a wide heel as well, but in my experience I also routinely have issues with heel slippage and again, the Topo was perfectly snug. I lathered my feet with vaseline and wore a 2 layer of iniji toe socks + darn tough cushioned hikers inside them. https://thetrek.co/topo-athletic-terraventure-3-review/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.