• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail Runners I'm Looking at

Footwear update.

I was starting to give up hope that I would find anything suitable.
But as luck would have it, I was staying with friends this weekend in an area with loads of hiking stores!

I picked up 2 pairs to try out.

La Sportiva Ultra Raptor GTX. (size 11 US)
Never heard of them before but the salesperson in the store (a mountain guide) was very helpful and knowledgeable.

Not that lightweight, so I would class it more a hiking shoe than a trail runner.
And gore-tex, which I like.
Feels very supportive.
458 gms / 1 lb 1/8 oz

Hoka Stinson ATR (size 11 US)
I had to try a Hoka!

Nice wide fitting. Feels very light and spongey though secure.
not gore-tex
329 gms / 11 3/4 ozs
Feels great so far.

Compared to my current boots.

Salomon X Ultra Mids (size US 10)
Still love them.
Very supportive

but 528 gms / 1 lb 2 3/4 ozs

Tried the La Sportiva last night on a short walk and they felt good.
Will try the Hoka today.

I plan to rotate them on my local walks and see how they go.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The renowned Altra Lone Peak is available in Oz at https://www.altrarunning.com.au/
After determining that in Australia the Altra Lone Peak 4.5 suited me admirably, I noted the price, A$220.
After waiting for a clearance sale I finally obtained 2 pair from Amazon US for A$140 per pair, including freight, a saving of A$80 on each pair.
I note the new model LP5.0 are retailing in the States for US$250 GASP! a pair.
But I'mmmm happy.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Yes I've done that.
I was just seeking feedback on these two models.

@davebugg recommends the Hoke One One (various models)
I've yet to try those.
But I have been in touch with the company and it's been hard to find one of their shoes with a high enough drop for me. I need a higher drop due to tendon issues.

But I might end up trying those too.

I was so comfortable with my boots I'm really anxious about changing to trail runners.
So I might get 2 or 3 different ones to try out.

300 kms along the trail is too late to find out I don't like them :(
Yes! After extensive research and weighing my options, I bought the Hoka One One trail runners. I love them! Lots of support and cushion. Fit like a glove.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
H! Robo!

I brought the Hoka Stinson ATR6 at the beginning of this year as that's the one they recommended for supinator's!
My concerns with them is the heel and toe softness/sponginess makes me lose my balance (throws me forward and weight on heels makes me step backwards)and although very comfy;believe it or not i find them knackering compared to my usual Karrimor mid walking boots.
A bit like when you walk on the beach through lose sand.
I know it's probs just me and you they will be fine ; i feel for me it might be a sensory issue as before my ops i knew where i was on sections of my routes in part by what i felt underfoot ie pavement,gravel,sand!!
These compared to my boots are so squishy.
Best of luck Woody

H! Robo!

I brought the Hoka Stinson ATR6 at the beginning of this year as that's the one they recommended for supinator's!
My concerns with them is the heel and toe softness/sponginess makes me lose my balance (throws me forward and weight on heels makes me step backwards)and although very comfy;believe it or not i find them knackering compared to my usual Karrimor mid walking boots.
A bit like when you walk on the beach through lose sand.
I know it's probs just me and you they will be fine ; i feel for me it might be a sensory issue as before my ops i knew where i was on sections of my routes in part by what i felt underfoot ie pavement,gravel,sand!!
These compared to my boots are so squishy.
Best of luck Woody

I've got the same shoes. So far so good.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have had issues in the past with Plantar Fasciitis and heel spurs, so I find these to be so comfy and supportive. Then, at home around the house, I wear Oofos restorative flip-flops in order to best support my feet.

Hi Everyone.

After 3 Caminos in Salomon Boots, I'm going to convert to Trail Runners.
I love my boots and have never had a blister in them, but sadly I need to change.

Due to bad knees, I need to reduce the weight on my feet.

I've been along to a Professional Sports Footwear store for some fittings.
They take an hour per person measuring and trialling different types of shoes and sizes!

I'm looking at 2, and wondered if anyone had experience of these.

The On Cloud Ultra. (yet to try this one, they just called to ask me to come and try it)

Or the Saucony Peregrine. I really liked this.
Trail runners do the job for me. They only need to fit properly (width, length, arch placement). It took me a couple years to find a proper fit. They need not be expensive; mine cost $50 US. Now I’ve switched to Keens sandals. Cheers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I checked and Salewa has several stores in Australia.
I’m thrilled with this shoes and I believe you should give them a chance if one of those stores is near you.
One shoe weighs 370 g, I don't know if it's too heavy a shoe for you.

Salewa MS Ultra Flex MID GTX

Footwear update.

I was starting to give up hope that I would find anything suitable.
But as luck would have it, I was staying with friends this weekend in an area with loads of hiking stores!

I picked up 2 pairs to try out.

Never heard of them before but the salesperson in the store (a mountain guide) was very helpful and knowledgeable.

Not that lightweight, so I would class it more a hiking shoe than a trail runner.
And gore-tex, which I like.
Feels very supportive.
458 gms / 1 lb 1/8 oz

Hoka Stinson ATR (size 11 US)
I had to try a Hoka!

Nice wide fitting. Feels very light and spongey though secure.
not gore-tex
329 gms / 11 3/4 ozs
Feels great so far.

Compared to my current boots.

Salomon X Ultra Mids (size US 10)
Still love them.
Very supportive

but 528 gms / 1 lb 2 3/4 ozs

Tried the La Sportiva last night on a short walk and they felt good.
Will try the Hoka today.

I plan to rotate them on my local walks and see how they go.

La Sportiva is a quality Italian brand.
I had their Helios II as other shoes I wore in the afternoon after I finished walking for the day.
I chose them because they are extremely comfortable and ultra light so they were easy to carry in a backpack. They were not good for walking on uneven terrain, they have soft soles but they were perfect for resting the feet.
Judging by them, you will surely be satisfied with that brand.

Hi Everyone.

After 3 Caminos in Salomon Boots, I'm going to convert to Trail Runners.
I love my boots and have never had a blister in them, but sadly I need to change.

Due to bad knees, I need to reduce the weight on my feet.

I've been along to a Professional Sports Footwear store for some fittings.
They take an hour per person measuring and trialling different types of shoes and sizes!

I'm looking at 2, and wondered if anyone had experience of these.

The On Cloud Ultra. (yet to try this one, they just called to ask me to come and try it)

Or the Saucony Peregrine. I really liked this.
The most popular trail runner on the Pacific Crest Trail in the US is the Altra Lone Peak 4.5 ....the 5.0 is out now.
I too love the boots I have been wearing on Caminos but want to reduce my weight so am trying this Trail Runner. 250km so far and going well.
Regards Mick

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A question to @Robo: You seem to favor Goretex, why? What are the benefits? If it's water resistance, forget it because it does not last.
Curious to read your reasoning.

A question to @Robo: You seem to favor Goretex, why? What are the benefits? If it's water resistance, forget it because it does not last.
Curious to read your reasoning.
Yes, water resistance. I don't like wet feet and wet feet can lead to blisters.

The water resistance has lasted well :)

Why do you think it doesn't last?

Yes, water resistance. I don't like wet feet and wet feet can lead to blisters.

The water resistance has lasted well :)

Why do you think it doesn't last?
The Goretex in my husbands boots broke down and shredded. My experience with Goretex jackets is that they lose waterproofing over time. You can tell because water no longer "beads" on the surface. Easily fixed in a jacket - the waterproofing is restored with heat treatment by putting it though a hot clothes dryer - but I'm not sure that would work with boots.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not so lucky after all. Before I bought these the REI guy told me that Altras are "pretty much true to size." I didn't find this to be the case & must trade the 12.5 Wide Lone Peak 5's for 13 Extra Wide. These are larger, wider, and even more rare than the first ones. Current source doesn't have either and don't know when they might so I'm looking elsewhere (again). I start training program tomorrow with older New Balance hooves ... on the local asphalt trail so all should be fine for now. The beat goes on.

The Goretex in my husbands boots broke down and shredded. My experience with Goretex jackets is that they lose waterproofing over time. You can tell because water no longer "beads" on the surface. Easily fixed in a jacket - the waterproofing is restored with heat treatment by putting it though a hot clothes dryer - but I'm not sure that would work with boots.

Never had that problem. My gore-tex jacket is 6 years old and still good.
My boots wore the soles out without any waterproofing issues.
I've gone through two pairs.

Is your husband 'hard' on his gear?

I take a lot of care with my jacket as it's very lightweight.

He's indeed "hard" on his shoes @Robo.

I don't take the Goretex jacket on Camino (prefer an Altus) and did not realise there was a problem until trying to unblock an outside drain in a Sydney downpour. That would test anything. I really love the jacket for everyday use here - bought in France, very stylish, lovely colour - so was pleased that restoring the Goretex was so easy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Never had that problem. My gore-tex jacket is 6 years old and still good.
My boots wore the soles out without any waterproofing issues.
I've gone through two pairs.

Is your husband 'hard' on his gear?

I take a lot of care with my jacket as it's very lightweight.
My goretex jacket was great - until it wasnt. I got about 8 years out of it I think. I did wear it on walks in winter almost daily though. It had great pockets, the best. I loved it for the pockets alone, like a tardis.
Then one day when walking training out with the team, the heavens opened, and my trusty coat leaked like a sieve, and I had to walk 3 hours back to the car in the cold wet - whilst everyone else was dry.
I kept it for a while though until the zips went, and I lost the hood.
I figured that the cost per wear was pretty good though so I didnt begrudge it. I havent been able to find another one though with such good pockets. Why do they have to keep changing the styles, when they're on to a winner already.

My goretex jacket was great - until it wasnt. I got about 8 years out of it I think. I did wear it on walks in winter almost daily though. It had great pockets, the best. I loved it for the pockets alone, like a tardis.
Then one day when walking training out with the team, the heavens opened, and my trusty coat leaked like a sieve, and I had to walk 3 hours back to the car in the cold wet - whilst everyone else was dry.
I kept it for a while though until the zips went, and I lost the hood.
I figured that the cost per wear was pretty good though so I didnt begrudge it. I havent been able to find another one though with such good pockets. Why do they have to keep changing the styles, when they're on to a winner already.

8 years of frequent use? I reckon that was darn good!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm still trialling my 2 trail runners, undecided at this stage.
Hoka Stinson ATR 6 (size 11 US)

Now trying to get some ATR 6 for Pat.
Oh the joys of living in a small market!! :oops:

I just sent this to Hoka head office.

Dear XXX,
Thanks for your help.
I managed to get a pair of Stinson ATR 6 which are great.

The problem now is getting a pair for my wife!

No one carries enough stock. They just have what they have and that’s it.

Some stores will order in a pair if we pay for them up front, but then they don’t carry the sizes either side of them to compare fittings.

So we end up not sure of the sizing and getting a refund. Waste of time for everyone.

Just rang yet another store. They have the 7.5 but not the 8.

She’s undecided between the two, never having found both sizes in the same store to compare!

No idea how these guys expect to sell shoes if they won’t carry the stock………

I can see she’ll end up with another brand sadly.

Or
Can we order direct from you, a 7.5 and an 8, and just send back the one that doesn’t fit?
Zappo style !

Shoe sagas...
@Robo, I hope you get an affirmatve reply to that letter, and Pat gets her shoes!

I so commiserate with the challenge of finding vendors. For years I happlily walked in Keen MacKenzies, which were light as a feather and breathable. But Keen kept messing with the design, which got cheaper and less durable with every new iteration. So I skulked around online trying to get the older models, even asking for help here (which paid off!) but have finally given up. Now I have new Oboz Sawtooths, and so far so good. Only a real camino will be proof of the pudding, though.

Shoe sagas...
@Robo, I hope you get an affirmatve reply to that letter, and Pat gets her shoes!

I so commiserate with the challenge of finding vendors. For years I happlily walked in Keen MacKenzies, which were light as a feather and breathable. But Keen kept messing with the design, which got cheaper and less durable with every new iteration. So I skulked around online trying to get the older models, even asking for help here (which paid off!) but have finally given up. Now I have new Oboz Sawtooths, and so far so good. Only a real camino will be proof of the pudding, though.
Buy another Hoka SKU with very similar or even better specs, recommending Speedgoat
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm surprised people like the Vibram soles for camino.
I find them so *hard and slick*.
I had them on a pair of Scarpa boots (that I otherwise loved, and which remain my preferred climbing and approach shoe) and they wore down really fast and were very slippery on any kind of hard surface when it was wet. Thinking of the paved trail between Burguette and Zubiri, the shale hills heading from El Acebo to Molinaseca... the descent in Mos...
I like a stickier sole for anything like that.
Vibram makes different levels of grip. Regular is indeed slick on wet surfaces...like Roman roads in the rain. Vibram Megagrip will hold. (And various other manufacturers have proprietary gripping soles, of course...)
BC

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Slightly off tooic, but...

Do specs from manufacturers indicate if these a boot has these? And if not how to find out?
I used the search filters on the REI web site; Megagrip is one of the options. I think most online stores have some info. I didn't see as much information in person when shopping, but I had already looked at the web site and knew which ones I wanted to look at. (We got *very* interested in this question after DH fell and broke his leg in rainy weather while wearing regular Vibram and I had also fallen that day, the shoe just slipped like ice while I was walking on the wet asphalt. All this fun on the way into Deba in 2017!)

I've done 2 Caminos in On Running shoes (a discontinued model, unfortunately). I love them! Super comfortable, durable, quick-drying. The concept of the tread is great. Highly recommend.
I was researching On trail shoes. On has a new Cloudsurfer Trail shoe that I read isn’t a true trail shoe. If you look at the sole it doesn’t have lugs like most trail shoes so it seems to better for roads than trails.

I was researching On trail shoes. On has a new Cloudsurfer Trail shoe that I read isn’t a true trail shoe. If you look at the sole it doesn’t have lugs like most trail shoes so it seems to better for roads than trails.
They look like they do have lugs:

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.