• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail runners on the Norte

TsafiK

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
I'm planning on walking the Camino del Norte on July-August this summer. We are planning on walking mostly on the seaside trails (as much as we can). I have a Speedgoat 5 trail runners that I find very comfortable on short walks I've been doing till now (up to 10 km), but I was told by someone more experienced that it won't be good enough for the Norte, because of all the ups and downs on the trail. People who did the Norte, could you share your experience with me?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wore Altra Timps trail runners - no issues.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not the Camino Norte but I walked the Camino Primitivo and Camino San Salvador Fall 2022 in HOKA Speedgoats V5 and they were great…no problems whatsoever.

Have walked the Norte, Primitivo, San Salvador, Mozárabe, Lana, Portugués and Inglés in Salomon trail runners, other Caminos except first in regular running shoes.

The first time I did the Norte I walked in running shoes which I regretted when it started to rain on a step downhill on a off Camino route into Laredo. I literally slide down the decline. Not fun. From then on I changed to trail runners with a better grip.

I'd certainly recommend Trail Runners on the Norte, as it can get boggy in parts.
I used Hokka Mafate but the Speedgoats would work equally as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wore Hoka Challenger ATR‘s on the Norte without any issues - despite the heavy rain and mud in May 2019…. I would make the same choice again without any concerns especially in July/August. Happy trails!

Without a doubt you can easily walk in trail runners. I have a pair of Speedgoats that I love. But I have worn my Brooks Cascadias for all my caminos and I never have problems at all. If Brooks stopped making them I would go into mourning and then switch to Speedgoats. But as always I say it is a personal choice. Buen Camino
Oh yea, I walked the Norte from Irun to Santiago in 2018 in my Brooks and had no problems at all with my feet or my Brooks.

I am curious how long your shoes last. I had to get rid of my Hoka One One Speedgoat 4 after 620km and the other pair after 780km.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am curious how long your shoes last. I had to get rid of my Hoka One One Speedgoat 4 after 620km and the other pair after 780km.
Running shoes, including trail runners, last between 450 and 800 km according to most running websites. So that seems right on target.

I walked the Camino Frances and del norte in Keen hiking boots. I find them sturdy, waterproof, and last forever. I walked more than 2500 km in Keen Durand and I can still wear them for shorter distances. Yes they are a bit bulky and heavy, but they do provide proper cushioning, comfort, and ankle protection on mountainous terrains such as the first ~300 km of the del norte.

I am planning on walking the primitivo this coming June. I'll be definitely wearing my Keens!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm planning on walking the Camino del Norte on July-August this summer. We are planning on walking mostly on the seaside trails (as much as we can). I have a Speedgoat 5 trail runners that I find very comfortable on short walks I've been doing till now (up to 10 km), but I was told by someone more experienced that it won't be good enough for the Norte, because of all the ups and downs on the trail. People who did the Norte, could you share your experience with me?
If you wear trail runners now and have no ankle issues I see no reason to change. Over the past 10 years or more the need for heavy hiking boots have diminished as more people realise there are alternatives. I have walked in heat, rain and snow always have used trail runners of different brands and never had a blister. But I also do not suffer from ankle issues.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am partial to The Northface walking shoes. Norte three times (not the same pair!) Not sure if they are classified as runners, but they are definitely not boots. Last year I got away with the Frances from SJPdP AND Portuguese from Lisbon to Muxia on a single pair. They are now retired.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've found the North Face Ultra 110 (there might be a newer model) to have good grip and sufficient protection and support for hilly trails with regular or only moderately irregular surfaces.

When hiking on more irregular surfaces, off trail, or when carrying more weight I use hiking boots for their stiffer soles (a buffer against sharp rocks) and ankle support. Under these conditions, with boots my feet and legs are less fatigued at the end of a long day.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wore Speedgoat boots and was eternally grateful for them on the ups and downs.

I’ve used Speedgoat 5’s twice now - and will be doing the Primitivo and San Salvador with them as well in September. I will say, it’s fun to take a picture of the tread at the first day and then again at completion - not much tread left!

I wore Hoka Challenger ATR‘s on the Norte without any issues - despite the heavy rain and mud in May 2019…. I would make the same choice again without any concerns especially in July/August. Happy trails!
Me too in 2022. Great shoes in the mud and on tarmac of which there is plenty.

€60,-
I used my Salomon Speedcross 3 on the Frances, and then another 300 km after.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.