• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail runners on the Salvador?

Jo Jo

Time of past OR future Camino
Eight routes; nine pilgrimages 2014-present
I know shoes are personal, so I'll try to describe when I would like trail runners. My wife and I have walked three times to Santiago. The only place I thought I really needed trail runners on the CF was the day before and after Roncevalles. Dirt paths, loose gravel, slick rocks, all make me want trail runners (over shoes designed for asphalt/concrete) for increased traction. On the CP, the only day I really wanted them was the 17km day over the mountain after Ponte do Lima, again for the same types of walking surfaces. Am I going to encounter similar walking surfaces on the Camino Salvador? (planning to leave early September 2019, if that makes a difference). Not trying to ignite boots v. trail shoes controversey. Even in the highest, toughest mountains of America I do not use boots (again, personal preference). Just looking for information on the walking surfaces. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jo Jo. I have very weak ankles so always need boots. Unless you are like me I don't see why not. I think trail runners would be fine on the Salvador, especially if you are used to them.

You will love the Salvador!
Buen Camino
Davey

If you can look at a map of the Salvador, the places where I think trail runners would be highly preferable to regular running shoes would be from Buiza to the town of Pajares. Traction may be an issue getting up from Puente Fiero to the ridge. Maybe down from Pajares to San Miguel though this is a trail that ATVs can navigate. There are some other short stretches like you describe after Labañiego. Will you carry on to the Primitivo?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Will you carry on to the Primitivo?

Thank you. Yes, will will continue on the Primitivo (I posted a version of this question on thread in that forum).

Just to clarify why I ask: I do not find trail runners adequate for the concrete/asphalt. I use running shoes designed for such surfaces on them (currently, Hoka Arahi, although in the past Brooks Ghost). I've often carried a second pair of shoes (Altras or Keens) for the more rugged trails where I wanted more traction (my pack is light enough that this extravagance still leaves me with about a 10lb. pack). The question in my mind is: is there enough rough trail to make it worth the weight.

Thanks again for any insights,
Jo Jo

Thank you. Yes, will will continue on the Primitivo (I posted a version of this question on thread in that forum).

Just to clarify why I ask: I do not find trail runners adequate for the concrete/asphalt. I use running shoes designed for such surfaces on them (currently, Hoka Arahi, although in the past Brooks Ghost). I've often carried a second pair of shoes (Altras or Keens) for the more rugged trails where I wanted more traction (my pack is light enough that this extravagance still leaves me with about a 10lb. pack). The question in my mind is: is there enough rough trail to make it worth the weight.

Thanks again for any insights,
Jo Jo
My response was written with that question in mind. The places I have talked about are all places where I think trail runners would be preferable to regular running shoes. On the primitivo, the trail once you get in Galicia is all crushed rock thanks to the Xunta (except for a forest road after Cadavo), so no trail runners needed there. I think there are, though, several places where you would need more traction than regular running shoes, like going up after Tineo, or going up after Salas, or the descent from the mountain pass at Puerto de Palo.

My response was written with that question in mind. The places I have talked about are all places where I think trail runners would be preferable to regular running shoes. On the primitivo, the trail once you get in Galicia is all crushed rock thanks to the Xunta (except for a forest road after Cadavo), so no trail runners needed there. I think there are, though, several places where you would need more traction than regular running shoes, like going up after Tineo, or going up after Salas, or the descent from the mountain pass at Puerto de Palo.
Thank you, thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We both wore trail runners exclusively on El Norte and the San Salvador earlier this year, and switched to sandals in the evenings. These served us well in the rain and cool weather we saw. I think runners would be fine on day 1 of San Salvador to La Robla, but from La Robla-Buiza-Poladura, and on to Pajares, and on to Pola de Lena, trail runners or light hiking shoes would be better! But whatever is on your feet, keep your eyes up looking at he beautiful views!

I've walked both routes in trail runners and in sandals. Both were fine.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked both the Salvador and the Primitivo in what I call trainers, but which I think are now called running shoes. No problems at all, but then, I am very confident about going up and down slopes. There are plenty of stretches with gravel slopes on the Salvador but I had no problem with them. For me, it's all about my balance rather than the traction on my shoes.

You say that you do not find trail runners adequate on concrete. Is that because you need more padding under your soles, or is it the lug pattern on the sole? If it is the former, then do as I do - buy the next size up and add another cushioned insole. In my case, it is my customised thick foam sports orthotic which gives me so much cushioning when walking on concrete.

You say that you do not find trail runners adequate on concrete. Is that because you need more padding under your soles, or is it the lug pattern on the sole? If it is the former, then do as I do - buy the next size up and add another cushioned insole. In my case, it is my customised thick foam sports orthotic which gives me so much cushioning when walking on concrete.
Yes, because the trail runners are usually designed for "softer" dirt and do not protect the feet enough from the harder surfaces (concrete/asphalt). I appreciate your solution, and I hope it can work for others. I have pretty much maxed out the "go one size up" option--I'm about two sizes up just to get my splaying feet enough room, and adding insoles is just not an option for me. But thank you for the idea (it would be nice not to have to carry the second pair of shoes, which are by far the heaviest items in my pack).

Jo Jo

Best of luck Jo Jo. Getting your footwear correct when you have non standard feet is no joke.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you all for your advice. I took trail shoes (Topo brand, which I liked a lot) on the Salvador, and I do not regret the decision. I found even more need for them on the Primitivo, especially the day it rained--the old tree and stone wall paths in Austurias are plentiful, but they get very slick in the rain.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.