• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail Runners or Boots?

VAtoNC

Time of past OR future Camino
305 miles of the Frances, 2019. Planning another Frances 4/20 and will go the distance this time!
I'm walking the Camino Frances from September 7 to late October. I'm aware of the debate regarding trail runners vs. boots and I'm still undecided! Lowa Renegades vs. Hoka One One's? One thing I'm questioning is warmth, especially during October. All advice is appreciated!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wouldn't worry about warmth a factor on the Camino in October. Comfort and fit of shoe choice much more important. Wear whichever pair works the best on a 10 kilometre training walk before you go. Only way to know.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Trail runners. Unless you have very weak ankles or NEED support, boots are overkill.
The Camino is a walk/trekking path, not a mountain climbing path.
There is really no need for boots.
Besides that, if it DOES rain, boots will be wet and trail runners can be dry by morning.

I'm walking the Camino Frances from September 7 to late October. I'm aware of the debate regarding trail runners vs. boots and I'm still undecided! Lowa Renegades vs. Hoka One One's? One thing I'm questioning is warmth, especially during October. All advice is appreciated!
A decent pair of well padded trainers with a well padded insole. Perfect for the concrete and tarmac on any of the caminos. Boots are for proper mountains, trail runners for rough trails, trainers for caminos including the Primitivo and the Norte and very, very especially for the Frances. If you want to walk decent distances, say 25km - 40km, without blisters or soft tissue damage, trainers every time.

Another thing to take into consideration is pack weight. The weight of your pack has a direct influence in the type of footwear you use. That is something not brought up very often in discussions on footwear choice on here. Obviously you want to carry as light a pack as possible. You should be able to throw your pack up as high in the air as you can and comfortably catch it. At least that is what I do. If it is painfully heavy to catch (or hazardous lol) I would lighten it.
The lighter the pack, the less pounding on your feet, and actually your entire body. Less pounding affects footwear choice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Trail runners all the way for me. But it is personal. Boots weigh more. There are lots of trail runners out there that have great support in the soles and arches of your feet. In my completely unscientific observations during my caminos it seems like people with boots had more blisters and bigger ones. But there is no basis except my eyes to confirm this. Fit and comfort is everything. Buy one size larger and the time you are walking you should have no worries about the weather and warmth. But who can predict the weather.

I walked the Camino Frances two years ago in four weeks in september and walked in running shoes. They just worked smoothly and if you count every step you take, you save att least nearly half a kilo for every two steps you walk and you will in the end have walked much more than one million steps before you reach Santiago. So go for running shoes.

Aha! The good old debate continues! I keep considering trail runners but the Altras are SOOOOO flimsy and unsupportive even with my custom insoles. I think they are also hugely overpriced (although I will readily pay big bucks for shoes that work for me as realize their significance) ) and the zero drop continues to feel strange. I am still in my Keen Targhee II mids and likely will be again. Boots take a lot of criticism yet there are many levels of "boots" ranging from mountaineering boots to mid cut "boots" that are otherwise trail walkers shoes with a higher top, i.e. my Keens. So we need to be careful about generalizing when using the term "boots". RJM raises the point about pack weight. For those having packs transported daily there is far less need for any support in a shoe. For those of us who carry our own we might be far happier with more shoe structure and a thicker sole, especially as the miles pass. Odd that with all this movement to trail runners, I continue to notice that most of the shoe racks on the the Frances, Portugues and Ingles are filled with mainly mid height boots of varying weights and robustness.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Odd that with all this movement to trail runners, I continue to notice that most of the shoe racks on the the Frances, Portugues and Ingles are filled with mainly mid height boots of varying weights and robustness.
And that makes it easy for me to quickly spot my sandals on the shoe racks!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.