• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail runners (waterproof and regular) for the Le Puy in April/May?

Vermont Pat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept - Oct 2016
Camino Frances, Burgos - Vega de Valcarce, May 2017
Hello, Friends.
We have worn Brooks Ghost trail runners on the Frances and the Francigena from Lucca-Rome, and they've been great. Now we're planning Le Puy - SJPP mid-April until the end of May 2023.
Thoughts on footwear? We are not boot people.
Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For typical April and early May weather you could hang out with some boot people for a while and reconsider and/or practice coping with wet feet? Clearly some will be along soon to say they didn’t have rain, but on the balance of probability …

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I was happy in April on the Le Puy in a pair of lightweight runners. They were ASICS. We did get a couple of days of cold wind and rain/sleet mixed with a bit of snow but I did not feel the need to have different footwear. I did have extra socks (merino) and these days might add a pair of waterproof Sealskinz.

Hello, Friends.
We have worn Brooks Ghost trail runners on the Frances and the Francigena from Lucca-Rome, and they've been great. Now we're planning Le Puy - SJPP mid-April until the end of May 2023.
Thanks!
I prefer non-waterproof regardless of the weather, I’d rather deal with wetness from occasional rain than with sweaty feet. And shoes dry well overnight if stuffed with newspaper, which most gîtes provide.
My first time walking le Chemin du Puy I wore Lone Peak trail runners and my feet were aching a bit by the time we reached Cahors. Serge who ran our gîte there explained that I had foot fatigue which was easy to get on the rocky trails there. The next time I wore Merrill hiking shoes and my feet were much happier.
I know that a lot of people do fine with trail runners but my arches were starting to complain.
I also wore Merrills on the Camino Primitivo and was glad that I had done so.

Hello, Friends.
Thanks!
I walked Le Puy to Santiago in September-November and I wore Brooks Cascadias. I am getting ready to walk my 7th camino and still am wearing Brooks Cascadias.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, Friends.
Thanks!
You didn't mention putting in additional arches. I have given up boots in favor of runners after our first two Caminos, but my wife and I always use additional arches b/c the original arches are never stiff enough. Our favorite brand is PowerSteps, original model, which were recommended by our podiatrist. (Now they offer too many models that I haven't tried.) There are many popular brands, but none so stiff and durable as Powersteps. In addition, our feet need good arch support at the end of a long day of walking, for which we have Oofos clogs. They weigh almost nothing and feel great. They look like Crocs, which our podiatrist said were specifically not helpful. His words for Crocs: "a crock."

I was happy in April on the Le Puy in a pair of lightweight runners. They were ASICS. We did get a couple of days of cold wind and rain/sleet mixed with a bit of snow but I did not feel the need to have different footwear. I did have extra socks (merino) and these days might add a pair of waterproof Sealskinz.
KANGA, I'm planning on walking Le Chemin du Puy to Conques. What was in your pack? I'm a solo hiker, carry everything with me kind of guy.....Merci

For typical April and early May weather you could hang out with some boot people for a while and reconsider and/or practice coping with wet feet? Clearly some will be along soon to say they didn’t have rain, but on the balance of probability …
Thank you. Probably gonna take a chance on wet feet as I have done in the past.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No matter the time of year, I've worn New Balance trail runners on the Camino and have been happy.
Even if they get wet, they dry overnight.
Boots won't.
To me, Gortex holds water IN as well as out.
I've been happy with my trail runners for the last 20-plus Caminos.
Annie Santiago, the reason I walk in trail runners is because of your recommendation of New Balance back in 2016. I can't remember the name of the style - it was the name of a famous race - but they were perfect for 2 Caminos. Then they discontinued the style. What style of New Balance do you wear now? I have a wide foot, and I am always looking for something that will work.

Thank you, Kanga. Good to hear!

I prefer non-waterproof regardless of the weather, I’d rather deal with wetness from occasional rain than with sweaty feet. And shoes dry well overnight if stuffed with newspaper, which most gîtes provide.
My first time walking le Chemin du Puy I wore Lone Peak trail runners and my feet were aching a bit by the time we reached Cahors. Serge who ran our gîte there explained that I had foot fatigue which was easy to get on the rocky trails there. The next time I wore Merrill hiking shoes and my feet were much happier.
I know that a lot of people do fine with trail runners but my arches were starting to complain.
I also wore Merrills on the Camino Primitivo and was glad that I had done so.
Thank you, Vagabonder. I wear SofSoles inserts - they add a lot more cushion. I have tried a number of flexible hiking shoes, including Merrells, but I haven't been able to find any wide width in stock anywhere. I appreciate the suggestion.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You didn't mention putting in additional arches. I have given up boots in favor of runners after our first two Caminos, but my wife and I always use additional arches b/c the original arches are never stiff enough. Our favorite brand is PowerSteps, original model, which were recommended by our podiatrist. (Now they offer too many models that I haven't tried.) There are many popular brands, but none so stiff and durable as Powersteps. In addition, our feet need good arch support at the end of a long day of walking, for which we have Oofos clogs. They weigh almost nothing and feel great. They look like Crocs, which our podiatrist said were specifically not helpful. His words for Crocs: "a crock."
I do wear inserts - love them. SofSoles. I will check out the Oofos clogs - sounds like a good idea for evenings.

Hello, Friends.
Tha
Hello, Friends.
Thanks!
I walked the Primitivo last March 27-April 7. I wore my LonePeak Ultra 6 and loved them. Not one blister. Yes it rained and snowed but they were awesome

Thank you, El Lachero. Are those a zero drop shoe?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
KANGA, I'm planning on walking Le Chemin du Puy to Conques. What was in your pack? I'm a solo hiker, carry everything with me kind of guy.....Merci
Depends on the time of year. I've walked this in early spring and late autumn. If in summer then probably not a lot, assuming you will not be camping, but when I walked I needed gear for every kind of weather, and that is what I got. In early spring and late autumn I had cold, rain and wind, in late spring and early autumn a few very hot days.

It is a few years ago now and I have changed what I take on Camino. Looking at my old photos I see I had a gore tex rain jacket, zip off long quick dry trousers, gloves, a hat, and the ASIC runners (and obviously sock). I recall some very wet days and having to stuff newspaper inside my shoes overnight, but I was much better off than my husband who wore leather shoes that took ages to dry. I also remember I had thermal undies, and a lightweight quick dry technical long sleeve shirt. I took a sleeping bag (much heavier than the down quilt and silk liner I use now).

These days I probably would swop the thermals and shirt for long sleeve merino t shirts and leggings, a Maccabi skirt instead of the trousers, and maybe a down jacket or vest. I'd also use a long poncho or Altus. Goes over everything and easier to strip off layers. Sandals and waterproof socks.

There are some tricky descents between Le Puy and Conques, going into Monistrol particularly. Looking at Google maps I can see what looks like a road alternative from Pratclau I'd consider.

PS - you probably know, but in rural France food is often hard to come by at the right time. Many of the villages no longer have shops or cafes, the locals drive to larger centres. I had Demi-pension whenever it was offered by the gites (and nice to eat communally). You have to notify the gite before arrival so they can ensure supplies. Otherwise never miss an opportunity to visit a bakery!

Last edited:
After having soaking wet footwear on the Frances in May 2014 in a storm crossing the Pyrenees I chose waterproof footwear for my Le Puy to SJPP in May 2018. Very thankful as it was a wet Spring and even when the weather fined up our shoes were wet with dew on grassy trails which would have meant cold wet feet first thing in the morning whereas ours stayed warm and dry:) If rain was heavy or persistant we wore rainpants to cover the tops of our shoes. Yes, some days we had multiple wardrobe changes but worth it to us. Aired feet/changed socks midway.

20221004_235704.jpg20221004_235732.jpg

Hello…and best wishes for a wonderful journey in the Spring. My husband and I just recently completed the Via Podiensis (finished SJPP early Sept) starting in Le Puy, finishing at SJPP, 29 days later (Including a rest day in Cahors) The answer for your foot wear may depend on how many km. you plan to travel daily, how heavy you/your pack is). I wore trial runners….and my feet were NOT happy! I had to buy a pair of light hiking boots 500 km. in. (no Blisters, just really bad pressure from the rocks I could feel under foot…and I had good dense base trail-runners). The rocky roads were very hard on my feet (carried our packs, am smallish person). For the Camino Frances (SJPP to Santiago) I had a Salomon short hiking boot…I should have taken those for for the walk in France. From Lisbon to Santiago I wore the Salomon short hiking boot (these are NOT the heavy leather hiking boot some people wear) and had to buy trail runners! My trail runner was non GTX, the new ‘boots’ were GTX and we walked in August/early September. Each trail was so different. Good luck in choosing the boot that will work for you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Michelle, we are doing the Portuguese from Lisbon next May and was planning on light weight boots too - have always hiked in boots with no/minimal issues - so I'm interested that you needed to change to trail runners during that caminho. Was this because of the cobblestones causing issues? I might need to re think my footwear! Linda

Hello…and best wishes for a wonderful journey in the Spring. My husband and I just recently completed the Via Podiensis (finished SJPP early Sept) starting in Le Puy, finishing at SJPP, 29 days later (Including a rest day in Cahors) The answer for your foot wear may depend on how many km. you plan to travel daily, how heavy you/your pack is). I wore trial runners….and my feet were NOT happy! I had to buy a pair of light hiking boots 500 km. in. (no Blisters, just really bad pressure from the rocks I could feel under foot…and I had good dense base trail-runners). The rocky roads were very hard on my feet (carried our packs, am smallish person). For the Camino Frances (SJPP to Santiago) I had a Salomon short hiking boot…I should have taken those for for the walk in France. From Lisbon to Santiago I wore the Salomon short hiking boot (these are NOT the heavy leather hiking boot some people wear) and had to buy trail runners! My trail runner was non GTX, the new ‘boots’ were GTX and we walked in August/early September. Each trail was so different. Good luck in choosing the boot that will work for you.
Thank you so much. We will be using luggage transport, carrying a day pack. Will try out a few lightweight hiking shoes if I can find wide widths. We could bring both types of footwear.

Hi Michelle, we are doing the Portuguese from Lisbon next May and was planning on light weight boots too - have always hiked in boots with no/minimal issues - so I'm interested that you needed to change to trail runners during that caminho. Was this because of the cobblestones causing issues? I might need to re think my footwear! Linda
Hi Lleslie, Oh super excited for you! We loved that walk…..did it in 2017…and I’ll bet it has changed since then. May you have a wonderful journey!
I think light weight boots will be fine. I do think back on this change I had to make to runners - it was SO hot when we walked that I may have had too heavy of socks, my feet swelled so much and the roads/cobblestones just made everything worse. If/when I walk again I will stick to my light weight boots - and change the socks.

I’m chuckling at your post above with the rain/mud phots… wow 😮. We had such different weather….a curnicule (’heat dome’ in English), brutal humidity, hot hot…the paths/farmer’s roads caked dry, hard, leaves all changing months before their time. Will have to walk at a different time of year. Bon Chemin!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for your reply Michelle - I'll start with boots and see how I go. We are excited too😊 Gosh, the weather you had on the Le Puy sounds extreme - maybe the mud and wet on ours wasn't so bad after all!

Hello, Friends.
Thanks!
I just bought some salomon low profile water proof hikers and they are really great. I bought them from rei. Used them for a trip in ireland where it's pretty much always raining and my feet stayed nice and dry though the outer shoe was getting lots of water. Recommend these guys for sure. I always use an arch support too. Funny im.planningbthat same hike next year. Should be epic. Buen camino

I just bought some salomon low profile water proof hikers and they are really great. I bought them from rei. Used them for a trip in ireland where it's pretty much always raining and my feet stayed nice and dry though the outer shoe was getting lots of water. Recommend these guys for sure. I always use an arch support too. Funny im.planningbthat same hike next year. Should be epic. Buen camino
Thanks, Keith. I'm definitely going to check those out. They get great reviews.
Hope to see you on the trail - when are you going?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks, Keith. I'm definitely going to check those out. They get great reviews.
Hope to see you on the trail - when are you going?
Well I'm trying to plan a trip with my oldest son so that makes it more difficult. My other friend rented a house on sardinia in May of next year so I'm being tempted with that too🤣. Have a great walk buen camino

Depends on the time of year. I've walked this in early spring and late autumn. If in summer then probably not a lot, assuming you will not be camping, but when I walked I needed gear for every kind of weather, and that is what I got. In early spring and late autumn I had cold, rain and wind, in late spring and early autumn a few very hot days.

It is a few years ago now and I have changed what I take on Camino. Looking at my old photos I see I had a gore tex rain jacket, zip off long quick dry trousers, gloves, a hat, and the ASIC runners (and obviously sock). I recall some very wet days and having to stuff newspaper inside my shoes overnight, but I was much better off than my husband who wore leather shoes that took ages to dry. I also remember I had thermal undies, and a lightweight quick dry technical long sleeve shirt. I took a sleeping bag (much heavier than the down quilt and silk liner I use now).

These days I probably would swop the thermals and shirt for long sleeve merino t shirts and leggings, a Maccabi skirt instead of the trousers, and maybe a down jacket or vest. I'd also use a long poncho or Altus. Goes over everything and easier to strip off layers. Sandals and waterproof socks.

There are some tricky descents between Le Puy and Conques, going into Monistrol particularly. Looking at Google maps I can see what looks like a road alternative from Pratclau I'd consider.

PS - you probably know, but in rural France food is often hard to come by at the right time. Many of the villages no longer have shops or cafes, the locals drive to larger centres. I had Demi-pension whenever it was offered by the gites (and nice to eat communally). You have to notify the gite before arrival so they can ensure supplies. Otherwise never miss an opportunity to visit a bakery!
Kanga, thanks for much for the tips. I walked the Camino Primitivo last April and seems comparable in terrain and weather. I plan on walking in early to mid April next year. When staying the Gites how does it compare to Spanish Albeurges? Do you hand wash your clothes? Do you still have to bring your personal sundries ie soap, etc? I guess what I am saying what emenities do they have in the Gites?

Kanga, thanks for much for the tips. I walked the Camino Primitivo last April and seems comparable in terrain and weather. I plan on walking in early to mid April next year. When staying the Gites how does it compare to Spanish Albeurges? Do you hand wash your clothes? Do you still have to bring your personal sundries ie soap, etc? I guess what I am saying what emenities do they have in the Gites?
Many of the gites had linen for hire (towel and sheets, and blankets). I don't recall many that offered to wash clothes, but at that time not many in Spain did either. So it may be more common now. People who have walked more recently may know. I did wash my own clothes by hand, had my own personal sundries, and a sleeping bag. So similar to Spanish albergues to that extent.

The main difference is the need to book ahead, the semi-pension (dinner, bed and breakfast), and often beds instead of bunks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked last fall and hand washed clothes most of the time. Usually no soap in showers but sometimes at sink. We always called the day before, it May be possible on booking.com but not sure, some places don’t have websites.
we had our own towels and sleep sacs and some places provided blankets, probably most do now that Covid requirements have eased off.

Annie Santiago, the reason I walk in trail runners is because of your recommendation of New Balance back in 2016. I can't remember the name of the style - it was the name of a famous race - but they were perfect for 2 Caminos. Then they discontinued the style. What style of New Balance do you wear now? I have a wide foot, and I am always looking for something that will work.
I ask which models are built on the SL-2 shoe last and that is generally what I buy each year. It has a narrow heel and wide deep toebox.

Hello, Friends.
Thanks!
Weather is completely unpredictable for that period in those locations next year, though if you could handle the extra load, maybe one pair of traditional leather rambling (not hiking) shoes (not boots) and a second lighter pair for the better weather you'd find in May and further South ?

Rambler's shoes are a good compromise, towards drier feet and less weight than boots.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Weather is completely unpredictable for that period in those locations next year, though if you could handle the extra load, maybe one pair of traditional leather rambling (not hiking) shoes (not boots) and a second lighter pair for the better weather you'd find in May and further South ?

Rambler's shoes are a good compromise, towards drier feet and less weight than boots.
Thank you. We may just do that.

How I love the Via Podiensis! We can't take off long chunks of time so did the first third last spring, from Le Puy to Rocamadour with the variant. Just got home from the second third, Figeac to Moissac with the Cele Variant. Hoping to finish it out Spring 2023. Last spring, saw everything from sleet/hail to searing heat. I love my Salewa goretex light boots in shoulder season and take a pair of regular trail runners for the hot days. With the great baggage transport system on the GR 65, it's a luxury to take extra shoes! Enjoy the route, it's amazing...and don't skip the wonderful variants!!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How I love the Via Podiensis! We can't take off long chunks of time so did the first third last spring, from Le Puy to Rocamadour with the variant. Just got home from the second third, Figeac to Moissac with the Cele Variant. Hoping to finish it out Spring 2023. Last spring, saw everything from sleet/hail to searing heat. I love my Salewa goretex light boots in shoulder season and take a pair of regular trail runners for the hot days. With the great baggage transport system on the GR 65, it's a luxury to take extra shoes! Enjoy the route, it's amazing...and don't skip the wonderful variants!!!!
Thank you, purple Backpack, for your enthusiastic reply! If you don't mind, please tell me the dates of your spring walk last year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am a recent convert to Altra Lone Peak now they are available in wide sizes. Now I'm home (UK) where wet weather is more frequent I have been using waterproof socks inside mine on heavy rain days. I have found these shoes (LP6) do not feel wet when there is dew on the ground which came as a very pleasant surprise. It seems the material they use does not absorb water, probably why they dry so quickly too. I think in your circumstances I would be tempted to take a choice of walking footwear.

I am a recent convert to Altra Lone Peak now they are available in wide sizes. Now I'm home (UK) where wet weather is more frequent I have been using waterproof socks inside mine on heavy rain days. I have found these shoes (LP6) do not feel wet when there is dew on the ground which came as a very pleasant surprise. It seems the material they use does not absorb water, probably why they dry so quickly too. I think in your circumstances I would be tempted to take a choice of walking footwear.
Thank you for your thoughts. I am thinking that a choice is the way to go.

I wear Reebok gore tex trail runners (probably because most of my walking is in Scotland) and they work for me in I tried the regular version and found my feet get wet very quickly although the shoes do dry quickly I don’t find my feet get sweaty with the gore tex shoe. I also use memory foam insoles instead of the standard insole and my feet feel great I don’t think I would ever go back to boots

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wear Reebok gore tex trail runners (probably because most of my walking is in Scotland) and they work for me in I tried the regular version and found my feet get wet very quickly although the shoes do dry quickly I don’t find my feet get sweaty with the gore tex shoe. I also use memory foam insoles instead of the standard insole and my feet feel great I don’t think I would ever go back to boots
Thank you for sharing. I’m going to try the Goretex version of my Brookes trail runners. If such a thing works in Scotland, that’s a good recommendation.

I will be walking Camino Ingles end of Feb 2023, any advice with footwear-- I am UK size 5 wide feet (got a bit of bunion). Thanks

I will be walking Camino Ingles end of Feb 2023, any advice with footwear-- I am UK size 5 wide feet (got a bit of bunion). Thanks
UK womens wide are difficult in my experience! Whatever you try make sure there is plenty of toe wiggle room but the shoes don't slip around on your feet. There are lots of different ways to lace shoes to enable a comfy foot fit.
My latest discovery is that Meindl Comfort Fit means wide so you could look at those. My leather hiking boots are these and super comfy but I don't use them on Camino. My other discovery is that Altra Lone Peak trail runners come in wide fit. I am a UK size 5 or 5.5 and for the Camino Frances this year I wore Lone Peak 6 Wide in combination with Injinji toe socks with light merino hiking socks over the top. Do try footwear and socks together because it makes a huge difference to fit and comfort. Currently I'm testing to see how many more miles I can put on my Camino Lone Peak's and as it's now very wet in the UK I am using waterproof socks. Still very comfortable indeed.
Enjoy the Ingles, it's a delightful route.

I have weak ankles and so I choose to wear boots. Next year I am pretty sure I will be walking in the wind, rain, and mud; uphill, downhill, on cobbles and stones...
I have a pair of keen waterproof boots.
They are wide across the toe area as I have bunions. Vibram soles

I have weak ankles and so I choose to wear boots. Next year I am pretty sure I will be walking in the wind, rain, and mud; uphill, downhill, on cobbles and stones...
I have a pair of keen waterproof boots.
They are wide across the toe area as I have bunions. Vibram soles
Do test the effectiveness of the waterproofness. I bought some and it was dry through the free return period. When I did test them in wet conditions they were not waterproof at all because the stitching had gone right through the waterproof lining. Keen were helpful but only able to give me a voucher not my money back.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims. We will be walking the Via Podiensis from Le Puy-en-Velay in Sep/Oct this year and are in the process of planning our route and stages. We see there are three route variants...
Hi all, I just bought my ticket for my next Camino this summer (yay!). I wanted to walk in France—I loved the Norte and primitivo last year, and I thought it would be cool to explore another...
Hello pilgrims, Where can we stay in Lagos or Les Faux? Tia Best, Ingelin

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back