Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

trail runners with wider toe box

Year of past OR future Camino
May '19, Oct 19
I know shoes are very personal, just looking for more ideas on what to try. my feet are wide in the front.

Since I have a small issue with insertional achilles tendonitis recently, a larger heel to toe drop seems helpful.

Altra is out for now, and Topo has 5mm drop.

looking for something with more like 12mm drop and wider toe box.

rain friendly with drainage holes is nice too. I want breathable non-waterproof.

thanks for ideas

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Go to New Balance store or website and find a shoe on the SL-2 shoe last.
It has a narrow heel and a DEEP WIDE toe box.
I wear them every year on the Camino.
Never have need to break them in... just out of the store and onto the trail.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
I buy my camino shoes in 2E width.

Texas Walker

Norte (2017-18)
Portugues (2015)
Frances (2014)
How does one find the shoes made on that last? the website doesn't seem to include that info.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
How does one find the shoes made on that last? the website doesn't seem to include that info.
You might have to email New Balance and ask them, or perhaps the employees in a store that primarily sells New Balance would know.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
May '19, Oct 19
I found a couple sites with listings of the New Balance made with SL-2 last. not sure if okay to post a link here ("a perfect dealer") . looks like 1540, 1340, 1260, and others. I'll look for a New Balance store to try.

I picked up some La Sportiva Wildcat's on sale that I will try for now. definitely want to try the SL-2 New Balance shoes.

edandjoan

St. Gallen to Muxia
2012-2018
Check out Altras or Topo Athletics.Both have wide toe box and trail runners.

tjz

I used to use Altras and loved them. Unfortunately, I've had to switch due to ankle issues from the "zero drop", and am pretty happy with the Hoka Challenger ATR6 (wide). But nothing quite beats the comfortable toe box of the Altras.

JanelMcB

CF (2018)
I know shoes are very personal, just looking for more ideas on what to try. my feet are wide in the front.

Since I have a small issue with insertional achilles tendonitis recently, a larger heel to toe drop seems helpful.

rain friendly with drainage holes is nice too. I want breathable non-waterproof.

thanks for ideas
Altra Lone Peak have a very wide toe box.

Becky 59

Camino Frances (May 2018)
Camino Ingles (Aug 2019)

thanks for ideas
I wear Hokas that come in wide sizes, and haven’t blistered yet after 2 caminos. (Trail runners)

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
April (2020)
I totally understand your issue as I tried 5 or 6 different shoes but all had too narrow toe box for my feet. I tried this one and love it! For me it works! I also saw a video that mentioned to leave the first 3 laces loose and just tighten the last two around your ankle. (I loop the laces twice before I tie them to ensure them staying tight) I have been using this technique for a week and it works great as I practice my long hikes- no rubbing as feet swell. It works great up and/or down paths. I also ordered a size larger in the shoe. Buen Camino.

Saucony Women's Mad TR2 Trail Running Shoe, River/Copper, 11

mla1

CF (2000); St. Giles (2013); Le Puy-SJPP (2015); VDLP (2016); Mozárabe, Almeria to Granada (2018)
I switched out Lone Peaks for Saucony Peregrines. They come in wide. They last a LOT longer than the Altras.

backpack45

Vezelay (2017, in progress); Primitivo & Norte; Geneva/LePuy; Arles; Portuguese; Francés + more
I used to use Altras and loved them. Unfortunately, I've had to switch due to ankle issues from the "zero drop", and am pretty happy with the Hoka Challenger ATR6 (wide). But nothing quite beats the comfortable toe box of the Altras.
I have switched over to Topo's from Altras and they are also wide in the toebox. Men's

Moorwalker

The Saint's Way, Cornwall
I buy my camino shoes in 2E width.
I would love to be able to find shoes that wide, unfortunately they don't make smaller sizes in that sort of width. Even Altra make their shoes narrower once you get under size 40 EU.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
I would love to be able to find shoes that wide, unfortunately they don't make smaller sizes in that sort of width. Even Altra make their shoes narrower once you get under size 40 EU.
I’m generally a size 38 or 39. I usually have to order the 2E as stores don’t keep them in stock. Even the New Balance store here doesn’t stock many of the wide version of their own shoes and I had one shipped from the other side of the continent. I once waited four months for a specific Hoka shoe in wide width to be made and sent from the factory. I order them through the store and have them delivered to the store, so I don’t have to actually buy them if I don’t like the final fit. The stores don’t seem to care as they sell the wide shoes pretty fast.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Moorwalker

The Saint's Way, Cornwall
I’m generally a size 38 or 39. I usually have to order the 2E as stores don’t keep them in stock. Even the New Balance store here doesn’t stock many of the wide version of their own shoes and I had one shipped from the other side of the continent. I once waited four months for a specific Hoka shoe in wide width to be made and sent from the factory. I order them through the store and have them delivered to the store, so I don’t have to actually buy them if I don’t like the final fit. The stores don’t seem to care as they sell the wide shoes pretty fast.
By the sound of it you are in the US? I'm in the UK and the situation is far worse here. Many shoe sellers and manufacturers don't stock the full range of widths and the wide fittings are almost impossible to find. If you order from the US it costs a fortune in shipping and import taxes and then of course you can't return them if they don't fit. I deeply envy the people who can go into an outdoor kit shop and have a whole range of shoes to choose from because i'm lucky if there is even one that is wide enough to get my feet into.

C clearly

Staff member
I'm in the UK and the situation is far worse here. Many shoe sellers and manufacturers don't stock the full range of widths and the wide fittings are almost impossible to find. I
Most shoe manufacturers only make a few models in the wide widths, especially for women, and the shoe sellers only stock a few of those. So, that limits my choices a lot. The low heel drop of the Altra and Topo does not suit me, so those are out of consideration. The Altra is also too low in the instep.

Fortunately the Brooks Ghost series comes in Wide and it has served me well in recent years.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Most shoe manufacturers only make a few models in the wide widths, especially for women, and the shoe sellers only stock a few of those. So, that limits my choices a lot.
Many stores in my town rarely carry much stock in my size, so I have ordered (and returned) dozens of shoes online over the years. I always order from online stores with free shipping and free return shipping.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
By the sound of it you are in the US? I'm in the UK and the situation is far worse here. Many shoe sellers and manufacturers don't stock the full range of widths and the wide fittings are almost impossible to find. If you order from the US it costs a fortune in shipping and import taxes and then of course you can't return them if they don't fit. I deeply envy the people who can go into an outdoor kit shop and have a whole range of shoes to choose from because i'm lucky if there is even one that is wide enough to get my feet into.
Canada, and since I don’t want to deal with paying shipping and import taxes, which becomes a waste if you want to send an item back, I deal with local stores and let them have the headache.

jayree

Go to New Balance store or website and find a shoe on the SL-2 shoe last.
It has a narrow heel and a DEEP WIDE toe box.
I wear them every year on the Camino.
Never have need to break them in... just out of the store and onto the trail.
I’ve been running in NB 1540 now V3 for years. SL-2 last and wide toe box. They are comfortable day 1 just out of the box. Never any issues. Pricey but made in the USA.

Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Mark Barnes

Old Engineer
Frances - September - November (2017)
I love ASICS. I wear a 4e but the make several wide width options. Good luck. 5D15392F-B600-4FEE-A060-83FEB9217D57.jpeg

Plan to walk in October 2016
I wear Hokas that come in wide sizes, and haven’t blistered yet after 2 caminos. (Trail runners)
I’m with Becky. I used the Stinson ATR on two caminos with no blisters. They don’t come in a wide, but the Hoka customer service site recommended them, saying that I would have as much toe box room as their wide models in other Hokas. I have full-length prescription orthotics and the Stinson accommodated them easily.

Ed Aster

I am on my 10th pair of Columbia trail runners, i wear a size 15 to accommodate my size 14 foot. The Columbia shoes are normally quite wide with a very comfortable toe box. I have had to adapt to 2-3 different models but the quality and comfort is always there.

Take a look at the New Balance Fresh Foam Hiero Trail Runner, It has an 8mm toe drop and is really cushiony. This is my shoe for my upcoming Camino. The latest version is #6, but the Version 5, which is still available on Amazon, has a slightly wider toe box. I do like the lacing of the 6 better. I wear a US size 12 wide. And like them both.

I wore Keen Targhee mid vent on my 2019 Camino Frances. No issues with shoes, they have a wide toe box. I do regret wearing sock liners - they moved around too much and caused toe and heel blisters. Now I just wear Smartwool socks and my dogs are happy.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads