• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail Runners

AMS610

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Starting Camino on 9/15 from SJPP. So excited! I have been wearing Lone Peak 6 and love them. But last week my feet started to ache (I’m 62 and have been active my entire adult life and this is a first.) I have been using them the last three months. Dare I get a more supportive shoe this late in the game or will having a second pair (which I already have) work? Anyone else have this happen with them? Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Starting Camino on 9/15 from SJPP. So excited! I have been wearing Lone Peak 6 and love them. But last week my feet started to ache (I’m 62 and have been active my entire adult life and this is a first.) I have been using them the last three months. Dare I get a more supportive shoe this late in the game or will having a second pair (which I already have) work? Anyone else have this happen with them? Thank you!
I loved Lone Peak but this year switched model to the Olympus. Same fit, a little more support. I also glued a piece of foam from my LP into one arch on the Olympus because I know my pronation is getting worse. I bought the Olympus 1 week prior to departure. I’m now 100k in on the Salvador, no issues.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I loved Lone Peak but this year switched model to the Olympus. Same fit, a little more support. I also glued a piece of foam from my LP into one arch on the Olympus because I know my pronation is getting worse. I bought the Olympus 1 week prior to departure. I’m now 100k in on the Salvador, no issues.
Love the info, thank you, BombayBill! Buen camino!

I am also a trail runner fan and have gone through a bunch of different ones during my running and hiking life. When I walked my first Camino I started in my trusty La Sportiva Wildcats. (I had run several marathons and ultras in them, as well as backpacked, without problems.). But, I did my Camino in August and my feel swelled from heat and fairly long walking days. Ultimately I ended up with blisters. In Burgos I swapped out to Keen sandals. So, I think you will be fine in your fav trail runners. But, if you have a hot September just watch out for hot spots and swap out before it is too late..... I waited too long. Buen Camino!

How many km/miles have you walked in those shoes? I don't know about the Lone Peaks, but some running shoes lose their cushioning and stiffness after about 500 km. Trail runner might last longer - I don't know. I find that my feet start to get more sore when my shoes have over 500 km; when I replace them, my feet improve again. It does get expensive, but I figure it is a good investment for my health.

The Altra website says "Most of our shoes will last between 300 and 600 miles, depending on your chosen activity."

You really don't have much time to address the problem, and consult with a podiatrist or test various other shoes. I'd be cautious about starting with a new untested model, since you say you love those ones. Maybe get a new pair of the same shoe, and consider going 1/2 size larger if your foot can accommodate it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you tried Keens hiking sandals with an insole I lost 4 toenails on first camino and had many bad blisters. Changed to keens 8 caminos later no broblem just a thought good luck, Buen Camino.

Starting Camino on 9/15 from SJPP. So excited! I have been wearing Lone Peak 6 and love them. But last week my feet started to ache (I’m 62 and have been active my entire adult life and this is a first.) I have been using them the last three months.

How many km/miles have you walked in those shoes? I don't know about the Lone Peaks, but some running shoes lose their cushioning and stiffness after about 500 km. T

I was thinking that they might have lost their cushioning and it could be time for a new pair. I certainly wouldn't take trail runners that I had already worn for three months on the Camino. If they are shoes that work for me I would buy a new pair for the Camino, and take them out on a couple of trial walks just to check if there are any manufacturing defects that cause irritation.

I was thinking that they might have lost their cushioning and it could be time for a new pair. I certainly wouldn't take trail runners that I had already worn for three months on the Camino. If they are shoes that work for me I would buy a new pair for the Camino, and take them out on a couple of trial walks just to check if there are any manufacturing defects that cause irritation.
I agree! I do have a newer pair. Thank you, appreciate your thoughts.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The videos in this post may help if encountering problems.
As a Lone Peak user I find an added or replacement insole of help. This may necessitate a half or full size increase in shoe size.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/lacing-try-preventing-blisters-or-the-dreaded-black-toenail-with-a-“heel-lock”-or-“lace-lock”.68993/

Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Same thing happened to me, I bought Super Feet inserts and the aching went away. Think I may try the Olympus model in the future

I recommend removing the stock insole and putting in an aftermarket insole such as Superfeet. They come in various styles. I like the blue ones. Underneath the insole, I put a $3 Dr. Scholl foam insole. If my foot swells, I remove the foam insole.

I'm an Altra fan as well - have had 3 versions of Lone Peak and have now switched to Olympus for the extra cushion. If you already have a new pair of Lone Peaks, use them (not the old ones as they are likely to be starting to lose mid-sole cushion). I would also suggest switching out the insoles that come with the shoe (either version) with something more supportive. I use SuperFeet Trailblazer for women in all my Altras with great success. Insoles that come with trail runners are cheap and useless, in my opinion.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am far from an expert on shoes, but perhaps you could check out trail running shoes? I am impressed by the improvements in cushioning in recent years, initiated by Hoka. Very light weight, thick and cushiony foam is being integrated into a number of brands, which will be particularly helpful on the paved portions of the Frances. Others may recommend shoes with more structure and support. You will have to figure out what works for you.

That said, my fav camino walking boot so far has been the Hoka Sky Kaha. Comes in high cut and low cut versions. I prefer the extra support of the high cut.

Last edited:
I am 75.did cf with 2 pairs of lone peak,no problem.with that amount of millage you arebound to get some foot ache.intend to do norte next year,,probably same shoes.buen camino

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also an Altra fan, used Lone Peak over 3 Camino’s but have switched to the Olympus.
i love the greater cushioning, and I find they have much more support around the mid foot and arch.
Have worn out one pair “ in training” for an October Camino, and now giving the pair of Olympus I will take their “ run in”, though I have never really needed to wear in a pair of Altra, usually put them on and go.
hope this help, Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am so far very impressed with the newly released New Balance Fresh Foam Harvest Gold trial runner shoes. So comfy, it feels I am walking on a cloud with tons of cushioning and you get them in a wide toe box. Price wise its up there with the Hokas. I am in Canada and they are well over $ 200 CAD. I am thinking to wear them on my 1st Camino here shortly.

I think some deep tissue massage would be the solution (if not frequent). Supportive shoes just make our feet ‘lazy’ - the 26 bones & musculature’s primary role is to create a ‘spring / rebound’ mechanism to facilitate our mobility

I'm too lazy to read all the responses. I'm just going to add my comment with that in mind. I am a die-hard Altra fan. I wear different models for different situations, but they are the only shoes I wear. Lone Pines are great. I completed my first camino wearing Olympus 4. But that is only secondary to my input.

First and foremost: your shoes do have a limited life. For best support and comfort you should to retire your shoes after 300 miles on the trail. When the cushion and support are worn down then your knees and feet will begin to ache for unknown reasons.

My experience has been to replace my shoes as soon as I feel the slightest clue that my shoes have expired. I know it is expensive to replace them often, but your feet and legs are what get you from A to B. My Olympus 4 were retired a couple of weeks after completing my camino. My knees were aching so much at that point. And once I put on my new Olympus 4's the aches ended.

It's best to begin your camino with fresh shoes with as few miles as possible to get the maximum support.

Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have also settled on Altra lone stars for my upcoming Camino and have decided to buy a new pair before I leave. I am still undecided about sizing. Did people that used them size up as is recommended for hiking shoes? my current pair is half a size larger than I would usually wear which is fine but on a recent hike in the mountains I struggled on the way down because there was too much room in the toe box and I felt somewhat unstable on steep uneven terrain. Do feet swell that much in trail runners that upsizing is necessary?

I have also settled on Altra lone stars for my upcoming Camino and have decided to buy a new pair before I leave. I am still undecided about sizing. Did people that used them size up as is recommended for hiking shoes? my current pair is half a size larger than I would usually wear which is fine but on a recent hike in the mountains I struggled on the way down because there was too much room in the toe box and I felt somewhat unstable on steep uneven terrain. Do feet swell that much in trail runners that upsizing is necessary?
I go a full size up from my actual size. I find that I am less likely to lose a toenail (I've lost 4 over the years, and most have recovered). I don't know what to say about the stability when hiking downhill other than maybe your shoelaces needed to be tightened? For me, if my laces are loose, then I lose stability. I stop and tighten. But not too much because then my feet hurt. This is simply my personal experience.
Buen camino

Ouch 😣 that sounds awful and convinces me to stick with the larger size. After all I did okay with them when walking on less challenging terrain perhaps the problem was that they were already worn out and provided too little support. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
on a recent hike in the mountains I struggled on the way down because there was too much room in the toe box and I felt somewhat unstable on steep uneven terrain.
No shoe will be perfect for all situations. You should experiment with lacing (e.g. heel lock) and with sock combinations. Maybe even add/remove a second sock as required. In my mind, the worst mistake is having a shoe that is too small.

Thank you. You convinced me to go with the larger size. I am planning to wear Wright socks and it would be good to have extra space. So far I haven’t gotten any blisters on my training walks but those haven’t been adequate to mimic “Camino conditions”

Finished Camino Frances last Friday and I loved my Olympus shoes!! Thank you, again!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.