• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail Running Shoes

LVDWD

Time of past OR future Camino
Just had an e mail from a friend who has just completed the Camino to Frances. He mainly used hiking boots but for the last stages used trail running shoes. His recommendation is to used a combination of hiking boots and hiking sandals and not to use trail running shoes because he met a few people who had gone through 2 pairs of trail running shoes doing the hike and even one that was on his third pair.

? for the forum is: if you used trail running shoes for the camino did the hold up for the whole walk or did you have to replace them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I haven't been on a camino yet but I have read many reviews, especially on Amazon. Several shoes that were touted as being great trail runners didn't hold up for very long. What model trail runners did your friend know didn't hold up? If you do some research on the internet you'll probably be able to find out which are longer lasting.

Another consideration is how long were the shoes used for training. I think about 400 - 500 miles is the max most trail runners last. If you already walked hundreds of miles while training your shoes are bound to fail on you if you are doing all of CF.

This has been my logic in saving an extra pair of trail runners for my last few days at home and another pair for training. My theory has not been tested yet since I've yet to go on my camino so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yeah, ditto. Unless those trail runners were made out of cardboard, doubt very highly one would go through one pair walking the CF, let alone three (?).

I see one of the New Balance trail runners have Vibram soles. It would suggest at least the soles would last a Frances.
Regds
Gerard

I think it depends on the quality of shoe more so then the style, if that makes sense. I did from sjpp to Santiago in a pair of regular runners. They made it, but we're nothing much to look at. My second camino I used trail runners and they held up really well even though it was longer. As long as you are comfortable in your chosen footwear,either boots, sandals, or runners work.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm taking 2 pair of Hoka's, 1 Mafate 4 an 1 Bondi 4

I have a lot of foot problems and pain and plan to switch back and forth throughout the day along with changing socks...

Im not so sure a pair of Hoka's will hold up the whole trip from SJPP but I feel pretty good about switching back and forth... I just need the cushion

I always wear New Balance Trail Runners.
My last pair were 1540's and I wore them on the Madrid Route, then the Camino Frances, and they're still going strong.
I will buy a new pair before I go next year.
If they're going through trail runners that fast, they're buying the wrong shoes, imo.

A couple of years ago, I got a "deal" on some "New Balance" runners on The Clymb.
They were a deal alright!
The lining around the collar of the shoe wore out quickly, being made in Vietnam of inferior fabric.

You can't skimp on shoes, whether you buy boots or trail shoes.
You get what you pay for and shoes, in my opinion, are your most important piece of equipment.

And I would never consider carrying an extra pair of boots or shoes unless I was hiring backpack transport.
The few people I've seen doing that end up dumping them along the way because they were too much to carry and it's cheaper to dump them than to mail them home.

Don't overthink this.
If you end up needing new shoes, there are plenty of places along the way to buy them.
All the major cities have sporting goods stores, and many of the smaller places do also.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You might check Hoka.com and REI. There is a new Hoka that is a hiking boot that has a waterproof liner and Vibram sole. The toes box is wide and feels like a Hoka, but with the durability of a hiking boot. I got the Hoka Tor Ultra Hi WP. All my training is in Hokas.
Buen Camino.

Just had an e mail from a friend who has just completed the Camino to Frances. He mainly used hiking boots but for the last stages used trail running shoes. His recommendation is to used a combination of hiking boots and hiking sandals and not to use trail running shoes because he met a few people who had gone through 2 pairs of trail running shoes doing the hike and even one that was on his third pair.

? for the forum is: if you used trail running shoes for the camino did the hold up for the whole walk or did you have to replace them.
I wore NB 1210 on the Camino Frances last Fall and they lasted the whole trail. I never found boots that worked for me.

I'm a trail runner. I run and walk 100s of km in trail running shoes on paved trails, dirt trails and downright gnarly trails. Unless they are cheap knock offs they should last the entire Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm a trail runner. I run and walk 100s of km in trail running shoes on paved trails, dirt trails and downright gnarly trails. Unless they are cheap knock offs they should last the entire Camino.
Keep reading reviews. You'll find that even some expensive shoes don't hold up. But on the other hand, the uppers may last but shoes may not be giving you the support you need after 4 to 5 hundred miles. Imho.

I wore a well-broken-in pair of New Balance Mimumus shoes for the first half and then mixed in Xero Shoes for the second half.

My NBs were destroyed by the end, but they were pretty trashed when I started so...

I would absolutely do this again for my next Camino. Maybe start with shoes that are less worn, but the Xero shoes were great. I never had a single blister, either.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wore a well-broken-in pair of New Balance Mimumus shoes for the first half and then mixed in Xero Shoes for the second half.

My NBs were destroyed by the end, but they were pretty trashed when I started so...

I would absolutely do this again for my next Camino. Maybe start with shoes that are less worn, but the Xero shoes were great. I never had a single blister, either.

@kevswords, all I can say is Wow! Just shot to hell all I thought I knew about the need for supportive shoes.

Like the idea of the Xero shoes as a companion to trail runners, will need to take some shower shoes and night time shoes in addition to the Trail Runners, the Xero sound as though they will meet this requirement and potentially can be use as a break and cool down from my trail runners on paved stretches. And sounds like they will weigh no more than flip flops.
I am guessing that you are pretty young with very few physical problems such as feet, knees and back??? Not the case for me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm taking 2 pair of Hoka's, 1 Mafate 4 an 1 Bondi 4

I have a lot of foot problems and pain and plan to switch back and forth throughout the day along with changing socks...

Im not so sure a pair of Hoka's will hold up the whole trip from SJPP but I feel pretty good about switching back and forth... I just need the cushion

I used a pair of hoka 1 trail runners on the via de plata, from Seville to Santiago and they held up fine.

Is it good idea to have waterproof shoes, ie Gortex lined, for the rainy part of the trail? My hiking boots are waterproof, but my trail runners are not. I am contemplating which pair to bring. I will be walking Camino Frances for the first time, and should be arriving the vicinity of Galicia about late October. With the almost certain heavy rain, I worry about not having waterproof shoes. Thank you in advance.

Is it good idea to have waterproof shoes, ie Gortex lined, for the rainy part of the trail? My hiking boots are waterproof, but my trail runners are not. I am contemplating which pair to bring. I will be walking Camino Frances for the first time, and should be arriving the vicinity of Galicia about late October. With the almost certain heavy rain, I worry about not having waterproof shoes. Thank you in advance.

No.
I do not like waterproof shoes, myself, though others may.
You are walking so much your feet need to breathe, imo.
I have not seen that much rain in October.
Trail runners will dry overnight if they get wet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My Brooks Adrenaline trail runners lasted from SJPP to Santiago very nicely, and have gone on to have a second life with my sister-in-law (who hikes infrequently and never runs)! I was also very concerned about if they would last and realized that they are designed to last for 300-500 RUNNING miles and thought walking would be less hard on them than running. Indeed, it was. When I use the same shoes for running I replace them at 350-400 miles.

Yes, I agree with @Piccata - that's been my experience with well made running shoes too.

Went to MEC today to take a look at the Hokas. BTW, they are havig a great sale on them, though not on the web.

I tried the Mafates and could not believe the cushionning together witha super firm shoe both in terms of front to back (flipping toes up) and laternal tortion. They are a lot stiffer that my Salomons.

This being said. The sole looks a bit flimsy, and I wonder how thw shoes would do in muddy, or slippery conditions due to loose rocks or rain. But Hoka is apparently comming up with MTN line this fall with Vibram soles. So perhaps I will pass up on the sale and wait for the Vibram soles.

Oh, and the weight is extraordinary, half of what my Salomons are.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just finished SJPP to Finisterre in Hoka Stinson ATRs. The traction knobs on the sole wore down to nothing by Leon. By the end, holes were beginning to form in the sole. If there had been rainy conditions, I would have had to buy another pair of shoes in Leon. Be forewarned.

I just finished SJPP to Finisterre in Hoka Stinson ATRs. The traction knobs on the sole wore down to nothing by Leon. By the end, holes were beginning to form in the sole. If there had been rainy conditions, I would have had to buy another pair of shoes in Leon. Be forewarned.
Thank HuffCane, I will pass on the sales then! They did look flimsy. Cannot wait to see the MTN models.

I have been walking in Patagonia tsalis 3(2 pair) for over a year. I decided to switch to Saucony Xodus 4 because they have vibram soles which I think I need for rocky surfaces on Vdlp. Am I correct in my impression that I need heavier soles for protection?

With 32 days to go, I'm trying to break in my Xodus but am experiencing knee soreness and sore left heel, things I never experience with the Tsalis. I switched out my shoelaces for longer ones so that I could get a more snug fit around my ankles with a lock tight stringing. However, I can't get the strings to stay tight and my heels feel like they shift too much when I walk. I am thinking about going back to my Tsalis, which gave me a more secure heel. Any thoughts from those who have been on Vdlp.

Last edited:

€83,-
One issue that trail shoes may have is that the sole is prepared to be gripy and deal with terrains other than pavé or tarmac. Some shoes are specially made for mud or dirt. They don't necessarily have the hardness to endure hard abrasive surface.
Still, this should only apply to some models, in general most shoes should endure the whole camino.

I don't walk the camino in trail running shoes, but I do use for local trail running and for me they don't last very long, I have used saucony and brooks they are very good shoes, my weight and the way my feet are I just destroy then in no time. So what I'm saying is that yes you may go thru more then one pair on a 500 miles trip all depend they way you walk and how heavy you are I guarantee you me a guy at almost 200 lb vs a petite lady at 11o definitely we are going to wear out those same shoes at a different rate.

Zzotte

I'm on the Via de la Plata right now wishing I had tried a little longer to get used to the saucony xodus with the vibram soles. Boy are there a lot of rocks! By the end of the day they've given the soles of your feet a good pounding.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm on the Via de la Plata right now wishing I had tried a little longer to get used to the saucony xodus with the vibram soles. Boy are there a lot of rocks! By the end of the day they've given the soles of your feet a good pounding.

Sorry about your feet Ricitosdeplata...but good to hear from you. I hope you are enjoying your Camino!

Went to MEC today amd hoped they were carrying the new HokaOne trail runners with Vibram sole, but alas. Has anyone had the chance to try them?

I tried a pair of the new Hokas - went for a half size larger than normal to allow more room for the toes but ended up with blisters on my heels because the back of the shoe is too rigid for me now that I've got used to wearing my Merrell barefoot trail gloves that are extremely snug with a very flexible back - and the Hokas are much too colourful, as well

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

This totally depends upon the shoe ... how you walk ...and... how much you weigh!

Some models of trail runners are very lightly built (on purpose) to minimize weight and that tends to result in a trade off. You save weight but you also limit life span of the shoe. . . look at Inov-8 shoes for some of the very lightest weight runners.

Some models of trail runners are built for durability during training, these will yield a much longer life span of the shoe but the trade off is in increased weight.

Now factor in the walking style to each of the above style of shoe. Are you a heel first walker or do you have a neutral sole style? And then factor in your body weight. Do you weigh 105 pounds or 250 pounds? Each of these 3 factors (shoe construction, walking style, body weight) will be huge factors in the lifespan of the shoe.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.