• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail shoes for a New Balance 880 lover?

Nerak Giztips

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (September 2023)
Hi, there! I'm planning to walk the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago in early September 2020, probably part of the way on the Coastal route, and then switching to Central.

I know how important the right shoe can be on this journey, and I find myself overwhelmed by the choices. I've tried on lots of trail shoes as well as hiking shoes, and the one that has come closest to feeling "just right" is the Merrell Moab Ventilator. But, with all the options, I thought I'd reach out with what I KNOW, and see whether anyone can point me in a promising direction. My feet (and the rest of me!) really love the support I get from my New Balance 880 v8's with a Currex insole. 10 mm drop, neutral shoe. I mostly use them for treadmill walking.

Anyone New Balance 880 lovers out there who can tell me what has worked for them? Thanks for any input you can offer!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, there! I'm planning to walk the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago in early September 2020, probably part of the way on the Coastal route, and then switching to Central.

I know how important the right shoe can be on this journey, and I find myself overwhelmed by the choices. I've tried on lots of trail shoes as well as hiking shoes, and the one that has come closest to feeling "just right" is the Merrell Moab Ventilator. But, with all the options, I thought I'd reach out with what I KNOW, and see whether anyone can point me in a promising direction. My feet (and the rest of me!) really love the support I get from my New Balance 880 v8's with a Currex insole. 10 mm drop, neutral shoe. I mostly use them for treadmill walking.

Anyone New Balance 880 lovers out there who can tell me what has worked for them? Thanks for any input you can offer!
How about contacting New Balance and ask them to recommend a trail runner with a similar feel?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

If your feet really love the New Balance shoes, walk in them.
Buen Camino

If your feet really love the New Balance shoes, walk in them.
Buen Camino
Thanks, Dave! I guess my worry is that they are fine on a treadmill but won't have a strong enough sole to support me out on uneven surfaces. There's no rock plate, etc. I have a history of plantar fascitis and don't want to mess myself up. :)

Thanks, Dave! I guess my worry is that they are fine on a treadmill but won't have a strong enough sole to support me out on uneven surfaces. There's no rock plate, etc. I have a history of plantar fascitis and don't want to mess myself up. :)
Take them as you evening shoes and if needed you could wear them on smooth surfaces to give your feet a "treat".

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For years I walked Camino’s in lightweight ASIC runners. They were fine.

If in doubt about something I try to do a trial run. I’d put on a fully laden pack, the New Balance shoes, and go for a 15km walk over varied terrain. I’d do it again the next day. If my feet felt OK after that, then I’d stick with the New Balance.

If I am going to change my footwear for the Camino, I’d do it well in advance.

A word of caution - a lot of the Portugués is on hard and slippery stone sets. If I ever walk it again, I’ll be looking for a sole on my shoes with good grip in the wet. My sandals don’t have that and I came a couple of spectacular croppers when my feet slipped from under me.

Take them as you evening shoes and if needed you could wear them on smooth surfaces to give your feet a "treat".
My own opinion is that two pairs of trainer type shoes on the camino weighs a bit much to haul. I bring the lightest weight sandal I can find for evenings out and wear them with socks if chilly.

Hi, edelstein. . .

What is it that has you concerned about the 880? If you find it comfortable and supportive, then it will work just fine for you :) New Balance now has a version 9, but I have found no real deficiencies with versions 5 thru 8.

I know it seems like there are huge choices out there and that finding the 'right shoe' for your pilgrimage is important. No one else has the unique anatomy and gait and stride and stability issues and. . . that YOU have. Even someone else who uses the New Balance 880 v8 will not have the same exact needs :)

My advice is to relax. . it seems you already have the perfect shoe for you. They WILL work well on Camino in terms of performance. . . and you already know they are comfortable and fit you well. 👍 👍 👍

I would be happy to provide any specific help or answer any concerns you may have; so feel free to send me a PM if you think I can be of help. :)
Dave

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, edelstein. . .

What is it that has you concerned about the 880? If you find it comfortable and supportive, then it will work just fine for you :) New Balance now has a version 9, but I have found no real deficiencies with versions 5 thru 8.

I know it seems like there are huge choices out there and that finding the 'right shoe' for your pilgrimage is important. No one else has the unique anatomy and gait and stride and stability issues and. . . that YOU have. Even someone else who uses the New Balance 880 v8 will not have the same exact needs :)

My advice is to relax. . it seems you already have the perfect shoe for you. They WILL work well on Camino in terms of performance. . . and you already know they are comfortable and fit you well. 👍 👍 👍

I would be happy to provide any specific help or answer any concerns you may have; so feel free to send me a PM if you think I can be of help. :)
Dave
Thank you, Dave! I appreciate the reassurance and encouragement. I'm not typically the most graceful or athletic person :), so I'm really trying hard to set myself up for success. It's good to hear your perspective that a shoe which already serves me well will be just fine.

@davebugg has mentioned in other threads how he has made rock plates for shoes that didn't have them.

@davebugg has mentioned in other threads how he has made rock plates for shoes that didn't have them.

:) It is a very easy thing to do, too, and if needed they can make a huge difference. Anyone who finds they need DIY rock plate construction can send my a PM and I will happily pass it on.

Some shoes deal with trail debris print-through with effective cushioning, rather than a rock-plate. It depends on shoe construction and foot sensitivities. . . . a rock plate may not even be needed. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I once had a New Balance hiking shoes that I loved walking in in the mountains around Alfaz del Pi in Spain.
I thought they would be excellent on my walk on the camino through Denmark and south the next spring. They were not! I had not walked a long walk in them with a heavy backback, and I gave up after a week. So do try them with a backpack before taking them.

For years I walked Camino’s in lightweight ASIC runners. They were fine.

If in doubt about something I try to do a trial run. I’d put on a fully laden pack, the New Balance shoes, and go for a 15km walk over varied terrain. I’d do it again the next day. If my feet felt OK after that, then I’d stick with the New Balance.

If I am going to change my footwear for the Camino, I’d do it well in advance.

A word of caution - a lot of the Portugués is on hard and slippery stone sets. If I ever walk it again, I’ll be looking for a sole on my shoes with good grip in the wet. My sandals don’t have that and I came a couple of spectacular croppers when my feet slipped from under me.

Asics have been my go to thus far as well. Nice and light and they expand out as my feet expand.

For the OP it depends on your ankles, imo. If your ankles never have issues (especially on long walks or hikes) I'd think you'd be fine in either type.

Asics have been my go to thus far as well. Nice and light and they expand out as my feet expand.

For the OP it depends on your ankles, imo. If your ankles never have issues (especially on long walks or hikes) I'd think you'd be fine in either type.

Let me add. . .If there are issues with ankles, the best remedy are splints which support the ankle and allow the user to wear whatever footwear works best. Even with above the ankle boots, if support is needed, splints are important to use.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

All good advice. I also have plantar fasciitis and my podiatrist recommended La Sportiva. Loved them. Lightweight. Ankle support. Great tread for wet surfaces.
Agree that walking on a treadmill very different than walking with pack. Alternatively you could ship pack...

I will be walking again next year. I walked in my Hoka One Ones. While I love them for home they were not a good shoe for the Camino. My arches fell and now I have some damage. I certainly dont want to scare you but pick a shoe with good support. My Hokas feel amazing even to this day but not constant pounding. I ended up buying a pair of men’s Tevas for the rest of my walk. AMAZING!!

salomon speedcross 4 were great for heat as well as cold mine are very used now about 4,000+ kms and i am waiting on the new arrival of the speedcross 5 gtx they are the new generation and have better water protection ....I had a very tough experience with the moab line and the company sent me a new pair but still had issues ...could be my feet ..... happy trails

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be walking again next year. I walked in my Hoka One Ones. While I love them for home they were not a good shoe for the Camino. My arches fell and now I have some damage. I certainly dont want to scare you but pick a shoe with good support. My Hokas feel amazing even to this day but not constant pounding. I ended up buying a pair of men’s Tevas for the rest of my walk. AMAZING!!

I am glad you posted your experience. Yours is a great example of why a shoe, that works well and is loved by one person, may not be at all relevant for someone else. As an exact shared experience as far as support, comfort, and feel of the shoe is concerned, feet are a bit like snowflakes. . no two are exactly alike. Even on the same person :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I used New Balance 910s on my first Camino and North Face 110 Ultras on my second.
They were both fine. I am more partial to the North face as they are a bit tougher, but they are waterproof, which is controversial.

salomon speedcross 4 were great for heat as well as cold mine are very used now about 4,000+ kms and i am waiting on the new arrival of the speedcross 5 gtx they are the new generation and have better water protection ....I had a very tough experience with the moab line and the company sent me a new pair but still had issues ...could be my feet ..... happy trails
Thanks, Jerry! I tried the Speedcross, but they were not the ones for me. I've ordered the Merrell Moab FST in a couple of size from REI. I have enough time to give them a good shot here as I train, and then I'll go from there. If they don't end up working, it's good to know that I have a good option in the NB's.!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
All good advice. I also have plantar fasciitis and my podiatrist recommended La Sportiva. Loved them. Lightweight. Ankle support. Great tread for wet surfaces.
Agree that walking on a treadmill very different than walking with pack. Alternatively you could ship pack...
I'll keep the La Sportiva in mind - thank you for sharing your experience!

Use the 880. It's perfectly fine for the Camino with a light backpack. Only problem is if it rains. Might bring sandals (Teva Sanborn / Teva Float 2) as your your extra shoes for rain and really hot weather.

I too am a big fan of New Balance footwear; my current favs are 1080s. I've been wearing orthotics for at least five years and I get a great fit with 12 EE (p.s. my standard shoe size sans orthotics is 11 C). Have you considered the NB Gore Tex hiking boots? They are very light, offer good ankle support, and have a comfy toe box to protect me when I clumsily boot a rock.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I wore my 880s the whole way on the Frances (SJPDP to Santiago), primativo (Oviedo to Santiago), and then to finisterre. I wouldn’t have done it any other way. I’m on the 1080s now and they’ve got a bit more cushion so maybe I would take them along next time.
E081084A-5AB6-4588-87EB-EFBD7C38DF4C.jpeg

Last edited:
My husband and I both walked Porto to Santiago to Finisterre in NB 880s - no problems.

Of you like the 880s, that might be the best choice, although the Fresh Foam Hierro has a lot of fans for neutral cushioning and vibram sole. Definitely won't wear out on you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, Jerry! I tried the Speedcross, but they were not the ones for me. I've ordered the Merrell Moab FST in a couple of size from REI. I have enough time to give them a good shot here as I train, and then I'll go from there. If they don't end up working, it's good to know that I have a good option in the NB's.!
Hi. Its been a while but would love to hear your experience with the Moab FST. They are my favourite blister/injury free shoe so wondering how you found them? Daniel

...I know how important the right shoe can be on this journey, and I find myself overwhelmed by the choices...
The best advice I've got from this forum is to go to an orthopaedic shoe store and book a consultation.

They will measure the heck out of you and make you walk on a treadmill at several inclines. They will make recommendations and hopefully they'll have the right shoe for you. If not, knowing your feet, gait, body, etc. Is a good start to pick out shoes. I learnt, for example, that feet grow as we age, or that people who work from home may have expanded feet after 2.5 years of not wearing shoes due to the pandemic!

I did this for my pre-camino training and I am very happy with the choice of shoes walking 10-20 km thrice a week in all kinds of terrains. I ended up choosing Altras because I have hobbit feet.

Ultreia!

Last edited:
...I know how important the right shoe can be on this journey, and I find myself overwhelmed by the choices...
The best advice I've got from this forum is to go to an orthopaedic shoe store and book a consultation.

They will measure the heck out of you and make you walk on a treadmill at several inclines, even take a video to note your particularities. I did this with my camino backpack. They will make recommendations and hopefully they'll have the right shoe for you.

I did this for my pre-camino training and I am very happy with the choice walking 10-20 km thrice a week in all kinds of terrains.

Ultreia!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi. Its been a while but would love to hear your experience with the Moab FST. They are my favourite blister/injury free shoe so wondering how you found them? Daniel
Dilbin, sadly, I haven't been able to experience these on the Camino yet, because COVID got in the way. I'm currently hoping to be able to go late summer/early fall of 2023. However, I continue to use and enjoy the Moab FST!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.