• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail surface Sarria to Santiago

Dusty

Time of past OR future Camino
November 25, (2018)
My wife and I are headed to the Camino for the first time in November. We will be doing the section from Sarria to Santiago.We are in our early 70's. My question regards footwear and the trail surface on that section. I had hoped to wear a pair of comfortable work boots that are well broken in (Alden 405's). However they have smooth soles, thick but not thick like a hiking boot sole. Is the surface rocky/cobbles on that section or is it mostly smooth? Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I hiked that section, five years ago. The trail was good. I had 4 days of rain. You should not have issues with traction. Is that what you are asking? Comfortable is important. Waterproof was a plus for me. I know off topic a little but hiking poles were important for me, with balance. Bien Camino!

It varies. Trail surface is mostly soil, coming out of Sarria. There will be some hard surfaces, like concrete or blacktop in towns, but they mostly give way to woodland tracks. Monte de Gozo involves some road walking, most of the way to SdC. Having said all that there is really nothing much to worry about, except the descents into Portomarin depending on the weather, and which route you take (there is at least one complementary route to skirt the badly eroded downhill).

You should have no problems with your broken-in boots.
Buen Camino!
Regards,
Paul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I are headed to the Camino for the first time in November. We will be doing the section from Sarria to Santiago.We are in our early 70's. My question regards footwear and the trail surface on that section. I had hoped to wear a pair of comfortable work boots that are well broken in (Alden 405's). However they have smooth soles, thick but not thick like a hiking boot sole. Is the surface rocky/cobbles on that section or is it mostly smooth? Thanks

The trail surface between Sarria and Santiago is almost entirely either asphalt or crushed gravel. The Xunta (regional government) has been particularly aggressive in covering up natural surfaces, presumably because they are more difficult to maintain. I think most people have found that trail runners are perfect for those last five or six days, and hiking boots may be too much shoe with too little cushioning. I would suggest doing a little searching for some of @davebugg’s great posts on footwear. Here’s one and there are many more.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-boots-for-cf-october-2018.56516/#post-636659

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When we walked that section, we had quite a bit of rain (and mud). I was very glad to have hiking shoes with good traction.

I am not challenging what you say, but your experience was so different from the last time I was on the last 100 km from Sarria (which was in 2014). I had no rain, so of course there was no mud, but I thought I remembered that there was very little dirt. Maybe I am mis-remembering. Or maybe my memories of my more recent Primitivo and Norte have confused me. The Xunta definitely has removed virtually all the dirt paths on the Primitivo and Norte, and replaced them with gravel, and I would be delighted if that were not the case on the Francés.

I am not challenging what you say, but your experience was so different from the last time I was on the last 100 km from Sarria (which was in 2014). I had no rain, so of course there was no mud, but I thought I remembered that there was very little dirt. Maybe I am mis-remembering. Or maybe my memories of my more recent Primitivo and Norte have confused me. The Xunta definitely has removed virtually all the dirt paths on the Primitivo and Norte, and replaced them with gravel, and I would be delighted if that were not the case on the Francés.

Yes there are quite a lot of natural woodland paths still from Sarria, and they can get quite muddy and slippy after a lot of rain, but nothing much to worry about, especially if you are using poles. (I've seen what the Xunta are doing to the Primitivo though. Oh dear)!

Davey

When I walked that section last May, it had not been raining, but due to the trees the path never seemed to be completely dried out until the sunny section after Portomarin. It was still moist. Not muddy, to my good fortune, and not particularly slick. I found it to be very enjoyable walking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not much crushed gravel that I can remember, but lots of stepped granite stone laneways, often running with water, and asphalt - and dirt paths through the eucalyptus forrest.

I think it is beautiful walking.
Oh, you Australians and your eucalyptus trees :). I am sure I’ve told you this, but I once walked to Finisterre with a Spanish university professor who studies mushrooms (I bet there is a term ending in -ologist to describe him, but I don’t know what it is). He could not resist breaking out in profanities every few minutes when he saw how the eucalyptus trees have killed all the mushrooms, or maybe it is more accurate to say that the eucalyptus trees have taken all the nutrients from the soil so that the mushrooms can no longer grow.

But I am glad to hear that there is not so much crushed gravel. It does make me wonder why the Xunta has felt compelled to resurface the Norte and Primitivo with hormigón but not the Francés.

I was horrified at what has happened to the path between Sanibañez de Valdeiglesias and San Justo de la Vega. It used to be a beautiful meandering soft path through a wildflower garden - now it is a straight, wide, red gravel road. What desecration.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is no really rocky ground from Sarria to Santiago but in November I would highly recommend boots as it may well be quite muddy. I would also recommend buying a wooden staff in Sarria (about 5 euro) for the same reason, if you are not bringing walking poles.

There is no really rocky ground from Sarria to Santiago

It could be that @Mark McCarthy (and others above) have different understandings of "rocky ground".

I walk from Samos to Portomarin towards the end of October 2017.

On the stretch about where the 100 km begins (even if the labels have been souvenired) and for several kilometres further along the path was decidely rockly. The rocks were not loose but fully emedded and generally smooth. What made it difficult for me was too much slower groups I encountered that tended, unconsciously, to spread themselves across the path. My guess is they had started from Sarria earlier that morning and were still getting their 'wind'. The difficulty came in trying to pass them as each of them and I were navigating our way through this stretch and all of us being careful where we placed our feet.

So, @Dusty , kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

I walked last Sept-Oct and had rain on that section of the Camino. I recall climbs up muddy hills that would be slick and you want shoes/boots with traction.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It varies. Trail surface is mostly soil, coming out of Sarria. There will be some hard surfaces, like concrete or blacktop in towns, but they mostly give way to woodland tracks. Monte de Gozo involves some road walking, most of the way to SdC. Having said all that there is really nothing much to worry about, except the descents into Portomarin depending on the weather, and which route you take (there is at least one complementary route to skirt the badly eroded downhill).

You should have no problems with your broken-in boots.
Buen Camino!
Regards,
Paul
Take the alternate route into Portomarin, the ‘traditional’ route is extremely badly eroded (Sept’ 18) & in my opinion should be closed as it would be like a water slide in the wet. It is a very small section traversing the top of the valley down to the river banks which are still way above the river floor. I was on my bottom most of the way through this chasm. Lots of up & downs to creeks/rivers but good walking surface from Sarria onwards.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.