• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail Trekkers

Jim Flores

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I are walking the Camino in late August thru September and found out that TSA rules do not allow trekking poles as carry on luggage. Does anyone have suggestions for transporting these? We are traveling from Montana USA to either Paris or Bayonne. OR...would you suggest purchasing them when we reach destination? Also - we are flying in Economy status, and United appears to have the best rates, but their information states that in Economy we are only allowed one personal item on the plane - and no carry-on bags. Anyone else have an experience with this? Thanks for any information you can offer. This forum group is awesome!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband and I are walking the Camino in late August thru September and found out that TSA rules do not allow trekking poles as carry on luggage. Does anyone have suggestions for transporting these? We are traveling from Montana USA to either Paris or Bayonne. OR...would you suggest purchasing them when we reach destination? Also - we are flying in Economy status, and United appears to have the best rates, but their information states that in Economy we are only allowed one personal item on the plane - and no carry-on bags. Anyone else have an experience with this? Thanks for any information you can offer. This forum group is awesome!
With a standard economy seat with United you can have a carry on plus a personal item, and their transatlantic flights include one checked bag.
United has recently introduced a cheaper "basic economy" fare that does not include luggage, I therefore than a personal item, but I don't believe they offer this fare class on international routes.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/basic-economy.aspx

Are you booking directly on the United site? If so, it should be clear what us included. I don't recommend booking with third parties, other than very well known ones like Expedia and Orbitz. There are many that are a nightmare to deal with.

Many people report that they have successfully brought their poles in their carry on, but I wouldn't want to take the chance, seeing as the TSA says they are prohibited.

You can buy your poles in Spain. I saw them in many stores at very good prices.

I have a United branded Visa Card that I use when I book flights with them. I get free checked bags and I've always brought on carry-on. Check their website. If you have purchased some new form of cheaper economy you may in fact not have a carry on option. I don't recommend checking your backpacks. What will you do if they are delayed in transfer? Is the savings worth taking the chance that you will arrive without all your gear?
We carried on our packs and checked a separate bag with our poles, knife, and some other clothing items for post Camino travel.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
With a standard economy seat with United you can have a carry on plus a personal item, and their transatlantic flights include one checked bag.
United has recently introduced a cheaper "basic economy" fare that does not include luggage, I therefore than a personal item, but I don't believe they offer this fare class on international routes.

Are you booking directly on the United site? If so, it should be clear what us included. I don't recommend booking with third parties, other than very well known ones like Expedia and Orbitz. There are many that are a nightmare to deal with.

Many people report that they have successfully brought their poles in their carry on, but I wouldn't want to take the chance, seeing as the TSA says they are prohibited.

Thank you so much, Trecile and Alaska diver! We were not aware of the difference between economy and basic economy. So good to know! Taking all of your advice to heart. Buen Camino!

Thank you so much, Trecile and Alaska diver! We were not aware of the difference between economy and basic economy. So good to know! Taking all of your advice to heart. Buen Camino!
As I said before, I'm pretty sure that the "basic economy" fares are for domestic US flights only, so carry on shouldn't be an issue. Some people bring a tube to put their poles in and check them, along with pocket knives, etc. That way you're not checking your entire pack, just a few easily replaceable items.

Always check in my pack with or without the poles .
Works for me just fine,the poles are not allowed in the cabin anyway so why bother to do a sepperate check in for the poles .

Wish you well,Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just looked on United for flights from Great Falls (I don't know what airport you're flying from) to Paris and Basic economy was not offered. Be aware though that you may actually be flying on Lufthansa, not a United plane, as United code shares with them. This means that you might not be able to choose your own seats.

I took the poles apart and put them in a tube with safety pins and nail clippers. I checked them in, and because of the shape of the tube, they were in "special luggage". When I arrived in Paris, they were very easy to pick up at the special luggage desk. I would not hesitate to do that again. You can normally get a tube at mail boxes etc.
We have them in Italy. Don't know about Spain. I purchased some souvenirs in Madrid, so for the return flight I bought an inexpensive suitcase for poles and goodies.

I took the poles apart and put them in a tube with safety pins and nail clippers. I checked them in, and because of the shape of the tube, they were in "special luggage". When I arrived in Paris, they were very easy to pick up at the special luggage desk. I would not hesitate to do that again. You can normally get a tube at mail boxes etc.
We have them in Italy. Don't know about Spain. I purchased some souvenirs in Madrid, so for the return flight I bought an inexpensive suitcase for poles and goodies.
Safety pins and nail clippers are allowed in carry on luggage.
http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=safety

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Go to a shipping store and get a mailing tube. Put the poles in, tape it shut, and check it.

The only gear I worry about losing in checked luggage are my boots because they're broken in. Everything else can be easily, if expensively, replaced.

Buy them in St Jean, not expensive, way less hassle and then leave them in Santiago for someone else. That is what I did.

We stuck our collapsible poles in our backpacks and checked our packs .. no problem at all

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you already have your favorite pair of sticks, you'll have to check them in somehow. Otherwise consider buying them at your destination.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.