• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trailrunners on Camino Portuguese

TDS

Time of past OR future Camino
I have been told that there is much cobblestone walking on both the coastal and traditional Camino Portuguese routes. If you have walked it from Porto, would trailrunners be sufficient for the cobblestones or would hiking boots be preferred? I am considering the Portuguese Camino and if so, would normally wear trailrunners, but am concerned about the cobblestones.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Trail runners will work very well. A feature that will be valuable will be a rockplate and a lot of cushioning, both of which will absorb the surface irregularities from impacting the sole of the foot. The Hoka One One Bondi 5 is an example of a shoe which has a cushioning level which doesn't need a rockplate; the New Balance 910v4 is a shoe example with a good rockplate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did it in trail runners last year, and would say that they were probably much better than boots exactly because of the stones! They are much more cushioned, which was essential to go along the trail.

My husband had hiking merrels, which are good, but not as cushioned as sneakers, and his feet were flat and really sore by the end of each day.

So yeah, stick to the trail runners, especially if you are used to them!

Last edited:
just returned from the Camino Portuguese Coastal...trail runners are fine, but the cobbles do beat up your feet, evening soak them and give them a good massage and you will be fine!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walk and hike in Altra Lone Peak 3.5 on long distant walks and hiking in the Cascade mountains.

Walked Central Portugese this May in Hoka One One's. The shoes are great for hard surfaces and the terrain.

Trail runners will work very well. A feature that will be valuable will be a rockplate and a lot of cushioning, both of which will absorb the surface irregularities from impacting the sole of the foot. The Hoka One One Bondi 5 is an example of a shoe which has a cushioning level which doesn't need a rockplate; the New Balance 910v4 is a shoe example with a good rockplate.
I hesitate to recommend any specific footwear because of the differences in everyone's feet, but @davebugg has hit the nail on the head with his comments about the rockplate (stiff sole) and cushioning. Both are essential on those infernal cobbles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been told that there is much cobblestone walking on both the coastal and traditional Camino Portuguese routes. If you have walked it from Porto, would trailrunners be sufficient for the cobblestones or would hiking boots be preferred? I am considering the Portuguese Camino and if so, would normally wear trailrunners, but am concerned about the cobblestones.
They look like these:

Portuguese street.jpeg

There's no "give" underfoot - yes, wear trail runners but replace insoles with thicker ones than they came with.

I wore trail runners last month on the Camino Portuguese and had no problems. Boots not necessarily needed. Trail runners handled the cobblestones real well and softened the trek overall.

I walked Portugues Central between Lisbon and Santiago. The stretch before Porto felt worse for cobblestones, after Porto it was manageable. Walked in no name city walking shoes most of the way as my Salomon hiking boots were too heavy and too hot to walk in. Returned to walk Portugues Interior & Sanabres this year from Viseu, got a share of cobblestones there as well, walked in trail runners, was fine. Bom Caminho! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am walking portuguese coastal now and also in trail runners and I am happy for the choice. There is really all kind of surface but trail runners are sufficient

No heavy hiking boots are necessary. I used a sturdier low top hiking shoe. Some folks swear by the Hoka ultra-cushioned hiking shoes. I must say at times I wished I had heeded this advice!

The Hoka One Ones I wore we’re fabulous, for the first time in 4, I had no blisters despite cobblestones. But good th8ng it was only 12 days, as the shoes were shot by the end

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back