• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train/bus from Bayonne to SJJP if construction repair work interferes

Lisa98663

Time of past OR future Camino
August 26 to October 6, 2022
We are on a train from Paris to Bayonne (staying the night in Bayonne). Planned to take the train to SJJP in the morning. Looks like train has been canceled? Other ways to get there? There are 2 of us.

All suggestions appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is what I can find on SNCF.

• Obstacle

Un affaissement de terrain entre Cambo et St Jean pied de Port interrompt la circulation des trains jusqu'au 30 août 2022. Des navettes bus sont mises en place entre Cambo et St Jean Pied De port.
    Restez informés en temps réel via vos canaux habituels

We are on a train from Paris to Bayonne (staying the night in Bayonne). Planned to take the train to SJJP in the morning. Looks like train has been canceled? Other ways to get there? There are 2 of us.

You could try https://www.expressbourricot.com/ for a taxi to SJPdP. I think there is a bus as well, but it takes over 4 hours.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Lisse98663,

From SabineP's post above it appears that there will be a train to Cambo Les Bains and then a bus, provided by the rr, to SJPdP. Check on the info boards in the Bayonne station when you arrive tonight. You might also look for other travelers with backpacks, ie pilgrims, to group together for a taxi.

Good luck and Bon chemin/Buen camino.

Un affaissement de terrain entre Cambo et St Jean pied de Port interrompt la circulation des trains jusqu'au 30 août 2022. Des navettes bus sont mises en place entre Cambo et St Jean Pied De port.
Restez informés en temps réel via vos canaux habituels
So no worries for getting from Bayonne to SJPP by public transport. There's been a landslide, trains will run as scheduled from Bayonne to Cambo-les-Bains where a bus will be waiting for the passengers from the train to take them to SJPP. The whole train+bus journey from Bayonne to SJPP will last about 1h 20 min. Departure from Bayonne at 6:41, 8:50, 14:35, 17:09 and 18:35.

All as announced on sncf.com. This arrangement is currently foreseen until August 30. You can also check it on the real-time board of arrivals and departures for Bayonne station where (at the time of writing this post) the first connection to SJPP at 6:41 is already on the board - with no cancellations:

https://www.garesetconnexions.sncf/fr/gare/frxby/bayonne/transports-horaires/liste

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So no worries for getting from Bayonne to SJPP by public transport. There's been a landslide, trains will run as scheduled from Bayonne to Cambo-les-Bains where a bus will be waiting for the passengers from the train. The whole train+bus journey from Bayonne to SJPP will last 1h 19 min on August 25. Departure from Bayonne at 6:41, 8:50, 14:35, 17:09 and 18:35.

All as announced on sncf.com. Arrangement currently foreseen until August 30. You can also check it on the real-time board of arrivals and departures for Bayonne station where the first connection to SJPP at 6:41 is already on the board - no cancellations:

https://www.garesetconnexions.sncf/fr/gare/frxby/bayonne/transports-horaires/liste

Buen Camino!

Indeed . The connection is just " supprimé ".

It would be nice when SNCF ( French railways ) would not limit themselves to the language of Voltaire though....;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why don't you just take the bus shuttle that is provided?
Th
Lisse98663,

From SabineP's post above it appears that there will be a train to Cambo Les Bains and then a bus, provided by the rr, to SJPdP. Check on the info boards in the Bayonne station when you arrive tonight. You might also look for other travelers with backpacks, ie pilgrims, to group together for a taxi.

Good luck and Bon chemin/Buen camino.
Thank you so much! I
So no worries for getting from Bayonne to SJPP by public transport. There's been a landslide, trains will run as scheduled from Bayonne to Cambo-les-Bains where a bus will be waiting for the passengers from the train to take them to SJPP. The whole train+bus journey from Bayonne to SJPP will last about 1h 20 min. Departure from Bayonne at 6:41, 8:50, 14:35, 17:09 and 18:35.

All as announced on sncf.com. This arrangement is currently foreseen until August 30. You can also check it on the real-time board of arrivals and departures for Bayonne station where (at the time of writing this post) the first connection to SJPP at 6:41 is already on the board - with no cancellations:

Buen Camino!
Appreciate everyone's input. We will check at the train station when we arrive.
appreciate all the input.

Bus

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are looking for an expedient way to SJPP, there is only one way. Find two more who are open to sharing a taxi and you will be there in about an hour.

Thanks again! Just got tickets for tomorrow. Couldn't have done it without your help.
@Lisa98663, I trust that you and all the other pilgrims on the same journey are by now already in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on this Thursday 25 August 2022.

I wondered whether I should report to sncf-connect that their information is not up to date, unlike on the sncf.com website. But then I decided to google. The first article I found was published in March of this year in the French national newspaper Le Figaro. The sncf-connect platform had been launched 2 months ago, they write, and it continues to attract the wrath of its users. Any new website or app is buggy in the beginning but sncf-connect exceeds all records for dissatisfaction, they write. 150 bugs had been identified.

Apparently not all bugs have been ironed out now, more than four months later, as we saw yesterday ... certainly something to bear in mind for the future.

BTW, while on the replacement bus from Cambo-les-Bains onwards, did you see anything of the landslide? Apparently, according to regional news, a kind of sinkhole appeared, perhaps caused by the recent rain.

Last edited:
Looking beyond this week, engineering works have already been announced for the line Bayonne-SJPP during the week September 12-16, 2022 where the 8:50 train and the 14:35 train will be replaced by a bus, causing, in all likelihood, the same misinformation on sncf-connect.com as it does for the current week.

Here's the correct info and timetable for the week 12-16 September as published on sncf.com:

12-16 September.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back