• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Cancelled! Bayonne to SJJP, 1820 on 27 May 2023

Brightmore

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello everyone!

It looks like the train from Bayonne to SJPP is cancelled! Has anyone any suggestions an alternative way I can travel to SJPP from Bayonne via public transport or shared private hire?

Thanks ☺️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just looked through the Trainline website. Seems that there are replacement buses for the cancelled trains. And some trains are still running. Replacement buses run from the train station and accept train tickets. No reason for panic as far as I can see.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-26-17-29-14-787.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-26-17-29-14-787.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 11
Just looked through the Trainline website. Seems that there are replacement buses for the cancelled trains. And sone trains are still running. Replacement buses run from the train station and accept train tickets. No reason for panic as far as I can see.
View attachment 147854
Can no longer purchase tickets, but I guess it’s possible from the station?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I experienced a regional train strike the afternoon that I arrived in Bayonne back a few years ago. As it turned out there were a number of fellow pilgrims on the train with me and in the same situation of looking for transportation to SJPP. As I remember, there was a later afternoon bus. However, since it would be a couple hour wait for the bus, a German couple and I split the cost of a taxi to SJPP. Yes, it was more expensive than had the train been running, but with the fare being shared, it was still in the reasonable range and put me at the start of the Camino with plenty of time to enjoy the town and prepare for my next day of hiking across the Pyrenees. Something will work out for you! Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As I recall, back in 2017, there was a long standing notification that this train service was often (usually?) suspended during April/May for extended routine maintenance. Given that is now late May this outage may be due to industrial action by train drivers etc. A bus service will usually be provided. Cheers and Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
No need to speculate because the information is on the websites of the French Railways SNCF.

The scheduled replacement bus: Bus TER, departure Bayonne station 18:19, arrival SJPP station 19:59.

The reason: There will be minor disruption to train services in the New Aquitaine region on Saturday 27 May 2023. Traffic will be slightly disrupted on Sunday 28 May. We invite you to check the traffic of your trains and connections on your usual information channels the day before from 17:00. Reason: local industrial action.

Buen Camino!

Bus tickets for rail replacement buses can be purchased from the autiomatic bus ticket machine, not the automatic train ticket machine. The machines are located in the main ticket hall. Do not be alarmed if there are no staff, should you need help, as there is a bell near the information office to catch their attention.

Confusingly the bus is listed on the automatic rail ticket machine, but just for information. You must purchase tickets from the automatic bus ticket machine.

Bus tickets for rail replacement buses can be purchased from the autiomatic bus ticket machine, not the automatic train ticket machine. The machines are located in the main ticket hall. Do not be alarmed if there are no staff, should you need help, as there is a bell near the information office to catch their attention.

Confusingly the bus is listed on the automatic rail ticket machine, but just for information. You must purchase tickets from the automatic bus ticket machine.
There was also two buses, the first arrived before 1800, there was a queue but we all got on. The first bus goes to SJPP direct. I am not sure if there will always be two buses but it should reduce the journey time to something comparable with the train. Buen camino :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back