• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Change in Monforte de Lemos

Time of past OR future Camino
We are going to be working at an albergue in Miraz on the Camino del Norte. At the end of our service, we will be travelling from Guitiriz (near Miraz) to Irun to start our own camino. Our preference is to take the train. So here is my question. We can train from Guitiriz to Monforte and switch in Monforte heading to Vitoria. The issue is that the switch time in Monforte is only 15 minutes. Its a tiny place so this seems OK if trains are running on schedule. I wonder if anyone on the forum has any experience with this change -- is it doable? If its too quick we could leave the albergue in the mid evening the night before, stay in Monforte and pick up the train to Vitoria the following morning. Thanks for any input folks have. LizB

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Check the ADIF site (https://www.adif.es/w/20300-monforte-lemos?)

Shows there are only 2 platforms.

Have stopped there before and the station is some distance from the town so you should be able to change as long as you don't leave the station.

stay in Monforte and pick up the train to Vitoria the following morning.

There is a Parador in Monforte if you are feeling flush.

I wonder if anyone on the forum has any experience with this change -- is it doable?
I've never had to change trains in Monforte; the station is not a big one, though, so In your shoes I would not be too concerned.

That said, Monforte is a very nice town with a Parador, a wine museum, and some amazing art. It would be a very nice bridge between service and walking to treat yourself to a comfortable night in town. My view - not even from the Parador!
View media item 9674

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Looks like a long trip either by train or by bus! I would think 15 minutes would be plenty of time, but you could ask at the train station for advice, too.

Looks like a long trip either by train or by bus!
In 2019, I went from Santiago to Irun by train.
It was a long journey, I think 10 or 11 hours, leaving in the morning and arriving in the evening. But it went by in an eyeblink - and was never boring. It helped that for much of the way the train and the camino I was to walk (Vasco/Via de Bayona-Francés-Invierno) were often roughly following each other, if not side by side. It was a sneak preview, going in reverse.

Only one caution, @ebrandt: the landscape can look far steeper and more intense from the train than it feels on foot. I remember saying to myself on the stretch between Salvatierra and Beasain "What was I thinking?! :eek: " It was a hill, yes. But not that bad.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back