• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train connection at Bordeaux

astonjd

Hello, I'm travelling to StJPdP, by train, next week. The Paris train gets me to Bordeaux at 14.22 and the train for Bayonne leaves at 14.27. That's 5 minutes to get off, find the machine to composter le billet, find the Bayonne train and get on it.

Is it do-able or should I just say "manana", get the next train and stop in Bayonne that night? (The 14.27 is essential if I am to get the last train to St Jean that day). If anyone has any knowledge of Bordeaux station eg is it immense like Victoria or a two-platform place like my home town, that would help me know what to expect.

Many thanks

Joanne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Joanne,

Buy your tickets in Paris for SJPdP via Bordeaux and Bayonne. You will receive one ticket through to Bayonne and another for Bayonne to SJPdP. Once you punch the Bayonne ticket in Paris you need not punch it again in Bordeaux. The Bayonne train generally leaves from the same platform in Bordeaux as the Paris-Bordeaux arrives on. In Bayonne the SJPdP train leaves from the track closest to the front of the station. It generally waits for connecting trains. Buen Camino!

Margaret

Margaret - my tickets are Eurostar From St Pancras through to Bordeaux then SNCF from there. It was cheaper that way. Could I still punch the Bayonne ticket in Paris, do you know?

Thanks

Joanne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Joanne,

How many separate tickets pieces have you? What time does your Eurostar arrives at the Gare de Nord? Your TGV train to Bordeaux appears to be no. 8417 and departs from the Gare Montparnasse which is across the river. Allow at least one hour to make the connection. You can punch the ticket for Bordeaux and for Bayonne in Paris at Montparnasse. Punch the ticket for SJPdP at Bayonne. Keep all tickets until you arrive at SJPdP.

Good luck!

Margaret

Margaret - you are being very helpful and patient.

I haven't got the Eurostar tickets yet, I have to collect them from St Pancras on the day. But the journey is dep 05.25, arr 08.50 then the 8417 as you say, dep 10.50 arr Bordeaux 14.22. So two hours to get to Gare Montparnasse.

The ticket from Bordeaux is a single piece of paper, train 67235 dep Bordeaux 14.27 arr Bayonee 16.17, then train 67317 dep 18.11, arr StJ 19.37.

So you think I could get this Bordeaux-Bayonne-StJ ticket stamped at Paris? As it's all on one, presumably this would composter it for StJ at the same time?

If so, that certainly makes it a lot less fraught at Bordeaux.

Joanne

astonjd said:
Margaret - you are being very helpful and patient.

I haven't got the Eurostar tickets yet, I have to collect them from St Pancras on the day. But the journey is dep 05.25, arr 08.50 then the 8417 as you say, dep 10.50 arr Bordeaux 14.22. So two hours to get to Gare Montparnasse.

The ticket from Bordeaux is a single piece of paper, train 67235 dep Bordeaux 14.27 arr Bayonee 16.17, then train 67317 dep 18.11, arr StJ 19.37.

So you think I could get this Bordeaux-Bayonne-StJ ticket stamped at Paris? As it's all on one, presumably this would composter it for StJ at the same time?

If so, that certainly makes it a lot less fraught at Bordeaux.

Joanne

Yes. You can stamp the ticket in any yellow post-like machine found all over the stations. By the way if the TGV trains are more than 30 minutes late you get a refund. If by chance when you arrive in Bayonne you have missed the local train to SJPdP go to the Chief de Station office and ask for a taxi to SJPdP. The SNCF will pay for a taxi if your train is late. The Pilgrim Office in SJPdP at 39 rue de Citadelle stays open until 10 pm to issue your Pilgrim Passport. They will help you find a bunk also. Where are you planning to stay in SJPdP?

Margaret

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello again Mrgaret, I deliveratley haven't made any plans for StJ on the grounds thatI might not get there until the following morning. But theinfo about compostez in Paris and the taxi is most helpful - I owe you one

Best

Joanne

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back