• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train connections... tight?

irishgurrrl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2012
Camino Finisterre Oct 2012
Le Puy Route (Le Puy-en-Velay to St Jean Pied de Port) April/May 2014
[Kilimanjaro Sept 2014]
Le Puy Route (Le Puy-en-Velay to St-Chely d'Aubrac) May 2015
[Stevenson Route, France - April 2016]
The Way of St Francis (Sansepolcro to Assisi) May 2016
[The West Highland Way, Scotland - Sept 2016]
[The Kerry Way, Ireland - March 2017]
Next up:
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Lugo) end April-mid May 2017
[Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal -- October 2017]
Hi All

just noticed that the train we need to get from Lyon to Le Puy en Velay has a tight connection timewise at Firminy...

16h24 Leave Lyon Part Dieu arriving at St Etienne Chateaureux at 17h12
Depart St Etienne at 17h48 arriving at Firminy at 18h05
Depart Firminy at 18h16 arriving at Le Puy en Velay at 20h13

The question is... is the 9 min connection time at Firminy do-able? Has anyone made this journey before? Want to check before I book.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have not made this specific trip but it is not that unusual to see a tight connection like this. In some cases I have jumped off one train on to another all within 5 minutes.

Best thing is to figure out on what track you will be arriving on and then what track you are departing on at Firminy. If it a small station more than likely it is the same track, or alternatively you will arrive on track 1 and depart on track 2.

Edited: I took the trouble of looking up this route and I discovered the last segment of this route is by bus. This means the bus is probably just outside the station itself and looking at Google it is a relatively small station. The connection is actually 11 minutes, so you should be fine.

Do you have the exact dates on when you plan to travel?

Last edited:
I have not made this specific trip but it is not that unusual to see a tight connection like this. In some cases I have jumped off one train on to another all within 5 minutes.

Best thing is to figure out on what track you will be arriving on and then what track you are departing on at Firminy. If it a small station more than likely it is the same track, or alternatively you will arrive on track 1 and depart on track 2.

Edited: I took the trouble of looking up this route and I discovered the last segment of this route is by bus. This means the bus is probably just outside the station itself and looking at Google it is a relatively small station. The connection is actually 11 minutes, so you should be fine.

Do you have the exact dates on when you plan to travel?

I'm laughing that its 11mins (not 9) - have a cold at the moment so I think it has affected my brain function ;)

Ah that makes sense now - didn't notice it was a bus we have to get. I think we will be ok then. We travel on the 13 April. The 16h24 departure from Lyon is the time that suits us best.

Thanks for your help :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
....didn't notice it was a bus we have to get. I think we will be ok then. ..
We're (Helen & I) travelling Lyon-Firminy-Le Puy a few days later (17th) we have 10 minutes. I haven't travelled this route before but on similar routes in France have found that the bus is waiting outside the station for you, so don't think there will be a problem.
We're not on the 16:24h from Lyon Part Dieu, but on the 12:06h, which gets to Firminy in about an hour.
We'll be interested in any posts you make during the walk.
Bon Chemin
Colin

We're (Helen & I) travelling Lyon-Firminy-Le Puy a few days later (17th) we have 10 minutes. I haven't travelled this route before but on similar routes in France have found that the bus is waiting outside the station for you, so don't think there will be a problem.
We're not on the 16:24h from Lyon Part Dieu, but on the 12:06h, which gets to Firminy in about an hour.
We'll be interested in any posts you make during the walk.
Bon Chemin
Colin

Hi Colin - hopefully we will meet you and Helen along the way! We will be walking sloooowly :) Not sure if I will be posting online during that time but if I am I'll let you know how its going :) Bon chemin a vous aussi!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Colin - hopefully we will meet you and Helen along the way! We will be walking sloooowly :) Not sure if I will be posting online during that time but if I am I'll let you know how its going :) Bon chemin a vous aussi!
We'll actually be a bit further behind you, We are planning to spend Easter in Le Puy and start walking on the 20th.
Have a great walk, hope the weather is kind.
Colin

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back