• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train/flight questions

TinaPEI

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully sometime....
Hi everyone,

I've searched and can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, so I will ask away.

We land at 5h40 in Paris CDG, from Canada, so we'll have to do customs etc when we land. That's fine, I'm not too worried about it being that exceptionally busy at that time of day, I hope! We're looking to either fly or take the train out to get to SJPdP eventually. Flights seem kind of high, and honestly, so do the train prices, (in comparison to what I'm hearing others have paid) but so be it. It's the start of July and it's a Saturday, so it's bound to be a busier, therefore, pricier time.

Questions: Would we be able to make it to Montparnasse for the 10h24 train, that would have us arriving in Bayonne at 15h32?

Or the 8h19 train out of CDG? Or would it be better to wait for the next train at 10h16. The first one arrives at 15h32 and the second at 17h32.

Easyjet has cheap prices for June (100 Euros cheaper) so will the rates for July drop? I'm thinking not that much! If you thought they were likely to drop, it is something to consider, flying would be easier than the train, I would think. Air France flies out of CDG, and Easyjet and Hop fly out of Orly.

We have booked Orisson for July 3rd, and we land in Paris on July 2nd, so we'd really like to get to StJPdP on the 2nd. I'm thinking either train from CDG will do, only we need to figure out if we think we would make the first one or not. So many decisions to make!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The decision is yours, of course. Perhaps booking now the 10:16 train from CDG would be the surest bet. That way the price would be lower than buying the ticket on the day of departure. Leaving from CDG you would not need to worry about road traffic to Montparnasse or Orly. Here is a handy map showing the CDG terminals and train links.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

Air France flies from Canada and gets in to Paris, CDG at 5:40 AM. There is an Air France flight from CDG to Barritz, arriving in Barritz at 10:15 AM. From Montreal to Barritz then returning to Montreal from Madrid costs $876 return

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It takes about an hour to get from CDG to Montparnasse.

Take RER B train from CDG terminal 2 to St Micheal Station. Take Metro line 4 from St Micheal Metro station (a short walk from RER station) to Montparnasse Bienvenue. Its a longer walk from the Metro station to the TGV platforms at Montparnasse.

Alternatively take the Air France bus from CDG to Montparnasse ... it advertises at 1:15 travel time.

CDG is a large airport. You need to figure in time to get from your arrival terminal to the RER station, the TGV station, or the departure terminal for your flight ... it takes as much as an hour depending on which terminals are involved. CDG VAL is your friend.

You should easily have enough time to catch 10h24 train from Montparnasse.

You should also be able to catch the 08h19 train from CDG 2 without problems ... but now your time starts to get constrained should your flight arrive 'fashionably late'.

Here is airport website:
http://www.parisaeroport.fr/

Here is RATP website showing Paris transit
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/

Here is Air France Shuttle website
http://en.lescarsairfrance.com/

Here is CDG TGV station website
http://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frmlw/aeroport-charles-gaulle-2-tgv

Here is gare Montparnasse website
http://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frpmo/paris-montparnasse

Thanks everyone, we bit the bullet today and booked the later train out of CDG. We'd heard about too many people who had missed their trains, so we figured we'd wait it out. It will give us plenty of time to go through all the arrival jobs, plus find where the train station in the airport as well as find a bite to eat or two. :) If I'd really thought before booking our flights, I would have booked us through to Biarritz on Air France. I remember checking it out once or twice but it jumped the flight quite a bit, and it was with Air Canada, since I wasn't able to book out of Charlottetown with Air France. Thankfully, the lady who booked for us was able to do that, but I'd forgotten to check through to BIQ. Oh well, we're still getting there! Thanks again.

Look out for the babbling lady with the bright orange backpack come July!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back