• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Barajas to Atocha?

Tio Huero

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP to Pamplona 2011
Pamplona to Longrono 2012
Sarria to Santiago 2018
I have heard that there is now a train that runs directly from Barajas Airport in Madrid to Atocha Station. Could/would someone in the know please enlighten me and provide any details/
Many thanks.
Tio

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola, tio,

The train is part of the RENFE cercanias (commuter) line. It leaves from T4, though, so if you're arriving at one of the others, you'll have to get over to T4. I assume there is some kind of connection bus.

Here are some of the details that I posted when it first came on line last September:

traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic11742.html

I haven't used it yet, but will be in Madrid in about 3 weeks and will definitely use it to get into the city. It certainly makes travel to downtown Madrid a hundred times easier than all those metro changes.

buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good news about the new train.
Another query: Is it easy to find the train to Seville when one gets to Atocha station?
Thanks for all your advice and info.
Heather

Hi, Heather,

Atocha Station is pretty easy to navigate. And the AVE trains have their own separate waiting room and security. The station is pretty well marked to separate the metro, the cercanias (which is what you'll be on from the airport), the "regular" trains, and the AVE. I was pretty zonked when I got there, having taken an overnight flight from the US, but remember everything went without a hitch and I didn't have any trouble finding the right place. From what I remember the AVE section is kind of make-shift, presumably thrown together in the aftermath of the Atocha bombing.

One thing that might help is to might familiarize yourself with the logo for the cercanias trains -- All the commuter lines in Spain have the same logo. It's on the RENFE home page, the red circle with a sort of backwards C on it: http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

All stations are marked with that symbol, just as the Metro has its red, white, and blue metro sign: http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html. This is more important at the many stops where there are both metro stops and cercania stops, like Nuevos Ministerios, Sol, etc. Spain truly has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to public transportation.

Buen camino, Laurie

I am about to walk the Via de la Plata from Seville to Santiago de Compostela. This thread is more than 10 years old, and seems to be fairly accurate from the bits of information I have found searching this forum.

I'm arriving at Madrid Barajas terminal 1 this coming Friday, April 7 at 8:45 AM (from Los Angels via Atlanta). I have a ticket from Puerto de Atocha train station to Seville at 2:00 PM. From searching this forum, it appears I can do the following:
1. Go through immigration, then make my way to Terminal 4. (How?)
2. Find a Cercanias train to Puerta de Atocha train station
3. Arrive at Atocha train station, find AVE train to Seville
Does this appear correct? My questions are:
How to get from terminal 1 to terminal 4 at the airport?
Will it be easy to find the correct train, Cercanias commuter train to get to Atocha, and can I easily purchase a ticket there? I suspect there are tickets machines available...reasonable assumption?
Thank-you,
Buen Camino!
--james--

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am about to walk the Via de la Plata from Seville to Santiago de Compostela. This thread is more than 10 years old, and seems to be fairly accurate from the bits of information I have found searching this forum.

I'm arriving at Madrid Barajas terminal 1 this coming Friday, April 7 at 8:45 AM (from Los Angels via Atlanta). I have a ticket from Puerto de Atocha train station to Seville at 2:00 PM. From searching this forum, it appears I can do the following:
Will it be easy to find the correct train, Cercanias commuter train to get to Atocha, and can I easily purchase a ticket there? I suspect there are tickets machines available...reasonable assumption?
Thank-you,
Buen Camino!
--james--
I’ve been through Madrid Barajas to Atocha station >20 times since the 2012 post; and I’ve never been aware of a Cercanias train that covers that route (to the northern Chamartin station, yes - but not Atocha)

I recommend you exit the terminal and find the stop for the bright yellow Aerobus which runs direct on the route you want. Every 20 minutes and takes about 30 minutes. I think it’s about €7 now; pay with a maximum €10 note or a card.

When you get to Atocha it’s obvious; just look at the departure boards; but be through security and in the AVE waiting area about 30 minutes before departure.

When you get to Seville - seek out the Bodega Santa Cruz near the cathedral. It might look like a riot is in progress, but ignore that and persist. Try the pringa.

Thank-you,
Buen Camino!
--james--
This link will explain your options and costs.

I’ve been through Madrid Barajas to Atocha station >20 times since the 2012 post; and I’ve never been aware of a Cercanias train that covers that route (to the northern Chamartin station, yes - but not Atocha)
Well, @henrythedog you and your owner just haven’t been paying attention. The C-1 Cercanías train has always gone straight to Atocha, and the more recently added C-10 train does too. The bus may be a great solution, particularly for those arriving in T1 and T2, but Cercanías would be my go-to option.

Check out the map here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, @henrythedog you and your owner just haven’t been paying attention. The C-1 Cercanías train has always gone straight to Atocha, and the more recently added C-10 train does too. The bus may be a great solution, particularly for those arriving in T1 and T2, but Cercanías would be my go-to option.

Check out the map here.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Thank-you,
Buen Camino!
--james-

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would also always catch the aerobus, pretty quick, cheap and comes with free views of the city. Likewise didn't know about the Cercania option.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back