• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Barcelona to Pamplona

Yossi Fuchs

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
I will be landing at Barcelona airport at the end of April at 13:10. I am planning to catch the 15:30 Alvia train from Sants train station to Pamplona. My dilemma is what happens is my flight is delayed and I miss the train, having an online booking fro that specific train? The next train is an Intercity, departing at 18:40 which could be OK too, however, from what I could gather from Renfe's somewhat confusing internet site, I will not be able to use the ticket I bought for the next train. Is that true?
What do you suggest; will I be better of buying the train ticket at the train station as I arrive there? Is there a substantial price difference between online purchased ticket vs ticket bought at the station? Is there a risk of the train being full (it will be on Wednesday)?
I'll appreciate any advise given on this matter.
Thanks,
Yossi

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Your 1530 timing is a bit tight ... meaning if everything goes as it should its possible.

It takes about 22 minutes to take the Cercanias train from the airport to Sants. There are two terminals so you may have to factor in shuttle time too.

As you are aware there are several trains daily from Barcelona to Pamplona.

Those are the factors to consider in evaluating your risk.

You might miss the train and lose your fare. Or you might arrive in time to buy a ticket only to find the train is full. (which does happen).

Its true ... your fare is only good for the train for which it was purchased. Renfe has a policy that allows you on a later train for circumstances out of your reasonable control provided you arrive within a certain period after your train is gone ... but it depends on having a seat available on the next train and there is a cost. See the 'small print' on the Renfe site. I'm not sure how they would evaluate a time appreciation based on your 131o arrival ... as stated, I find it a bit tight.

You might want to consider buying the 1840 ticket ... and pay the premium that allows you to exchange it for an earlier train should you arrive in time.

Also:

ViBaSA (Monbus) offers bus service from Sants to Pamplona.

ALSA provides bus service from Barcelona Nord to Zaragosa and Zaragosa to Pamplona.

Your 1530 timing is a bit tight ... meaning if everything goes as it should its possible.

It takes about 22 minutes to take the Cercanias train from the airport to Sants. There are two terminals so you may have to factor in shuttle time too.

As you are aware there are several trains daily from Barcelona to Pamplona.

Those are the factors to consider in evaluating your risk.

You might miss the train and lose your fare. Or you might arrive in time to buy a ticket only to find the train is full. (which does happen).

Its true ... your fare is only good for the train for which it was purchased. Renfe has a policy that allows you on a later train for circumstances out of your reasonable control provided you arrive within a certain period after your train is gone ... but it depends on having a seat available on the next train and there is a cost. See the 'small print' on the Renfe site. I'm not sure how they would evaluate a time appreciation based on your 131o arrival ... as stated, I find it a bit tight.

You might want to consider buying the 1840 ticket ... and pay the premium that allows you to exchange it for an earlier train should you arrive in time.

Also:

ViBaSA (Monbus) offers bus service from Sants to Pamplona.

ALSA provides bus service from Barcelona Nord to Zaragosa and Zaragosa to Pamplona.

Thank you so much for the useful information; it is a dilemma, isn't it?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you so much for the useful information; it is a dilemma, isn't it?

Not really. Worst case situation is you spend a few hours extra in Barcelona waiting for the next train or bus.

If I were traveling via Barcelona I'd be staying the night there. That would put me back in control of the schedule and I'd get some rest after a long overseas flight.

Is there a risk of the train being full (it will be on Wednesday)?
I'm not sure, but when Peg and I went to leave Pamplona for Barcelona by train we went to the station on Saturday to buy our tickets for Sunday and the earliest we could get was one that left about 4PM or so. We had wanted to visit some museums on Sunday (they were closed on Monday) and we couldn't do it.

I flew into Barcelona last year for the Camino Catalan and found that the easiest way into Barcelona city center was the airport bus. It leaves every five minutes, there's just a steady stream of them, it seems. I was fidgeting with trying to figure out how to use the automated machine and then someone told me I could just pay on the bus. In the few minutes I was flummox-ing around, two buses came and went. http://www.aerobusbcn.com/en/discover-aerobus

Though I'm a big fan of RENFE and the Cercanias trains, it wasn't the best solution for me in Barcelona. For one thing, my flight arrived in Terminal 1 and the R2 Cercanias train leaves from T2, so you need to take a transfer bus over to the other terminal. You can see which terminal you'll arrive in here: http://www.barcelona-airport.com/eng/arrivals.php?tp=6
The other thing is that the Cercanias runs only once every half hour, you can find the schedule on the RENFE website, so it can mean a long wait.

In my experience over the past few years, limited though it may be, I find that typically you can get on the local milk run trains (intercity for instance) without advance ticketing, and there is usually some flexibility with the fast trains within a couple of days from departure, but many fast trains are full a day or two before.

Good luck with this, I think I'd probably err on the side of caution because your connection time is a bit tight. Will you have to go through passport control? When I arrived, around 7 or 8 am, there were several US flights arriving and the "non EU" passport line was very long.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm not sure, but when Peg and I went to leave Pamplona for Barcelona by train we went to the station on Saturday to buy our tickets for Sunday and the earliest we could get was one that left about 4PM or so. We had wanted to visit some museums on Sunday (they were closed on Monday) and we couldn't do it.

Thanks for the input

I flew into Barcelona last year for the Camino Catalan and found that the easiest way into Barcelona city center was the airport bus. It leaves every five minutes, there's just a steady stream of them, it seems. I was fidgeting with trying to figure out how to use the automated machine and then someone told me I could just pay on the bus. In the few minutes I was flummox-ing around, two buses came and went. http://www.aerobusbcn.com/en/discover-aerobus

Though I'm a big fan of RENFE and the Cercanias trains, it wasn't the best solution for me in Barcelona. For one thing, my flight arrived in Terminal 1 and the R2 Cercanias train leaves from T2, so you need to take a transfer bus over to the other terminal. You can see which terminal you'll arrive in here: http://www.barcelona-airport.com/eng/arrivals.php?tp=6
The other thing is that the Cercanias runs only once every half hour, you can find the schedule on the RENFE website, so it can mean a long wait.

In my experience over the past few years, limited though it may be, I find that typically you can get on the local milk run trains (intercity for instance) without advance ticketing, and there is usually some flexibility with the fast trains within a couple of days from departure, but many fast trains are full a day or two before.

Good luck with this, I think I'd probably err on the side of caution because your connection time is a bit tight. Will you have to go through passport control? When I arrived, around 7 or 8 am, there were several US flights arriving and the "non EU" passport line was very long.

I'll be arriving from a non EU country so I could be delayed at passport control. My connection time from landing (assuming we land on time) is a bit tight, that's exactly my point regarding the flexibility of train ticket bought on-line. As I understand, if I miss the train I am booked on I can make a kite out of my ticket... So it may be wiser to play it safe and book the later train.
Thanks anyway!

I would play it safe(r) and take the Intercity. You might be able to take the Alvia but why would you start your trip stressed and why would you risk to miss your train having a pleasant and more relaxed option the same day?

I find that typically you can get on the local milk run trains (intercity for instance) without advance ticketing

Don't be misleaded by the name. The Intercity from Barcelona to Pamplona is as quick as the Alvia trains making the same route so the risk to find it full is similar to the one of an Alvia. The difference is that the Intercity train is more basic than the Alvia train(s); i.e.: it has less servicies/amenities.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't forget that arrival time is the time the aircraft wheels touch tarmac, and the plane has to taxi to the arrival gate, you wait to disembark, go through emigration and collect your bag at the carousal. I agree that staying the night in Barcelona is wise, and you can get an early train to Pamplona and even walk to Cizur Menor (5kms) if you wish, although it would be a shame to miss out on looking around Pamplona. There's a great restaurant/bar at the Pamplona city gate Portal de Francia which is close to the big albergue Jesus y Maria and the small private albergue (I've forgotten it's name) closer to the restaurant, in the square opposite the cathedral.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back