• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Bayonne to SJPDP.

F

Former member 64845

I have heard that the train from Bayonne to SJPDP is not running any more. Is this a fact? If so, are there other options for us coming with the train from Paris?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have heard that the train from Bayonne to SJPDP is not running any more. Is this a fact? If so, are there other options for us coming with the train from Paris?
I have been trying to book tickets for 14 April from Paris and was only able to get a train part of the way up the mountain from Biarritz / Bayonne (Cont remember which), but a connecting bus service is available

The SNCF app and website and Trainline also both say that tickets for this date are not yet released.

I am very interested in responses to your message from the group.

I have been trying to book tickets for 14 April from Paris and was only able to get a train part of the way up the mountain from Biarritz / Bayonne (Cont remember which), but a connecting bus service is available

The SNCF app and website and Trainline also both say that tickets for this date are not yet released.

As @Kathar1na helpfully explained in this thread, the train route from Bayonne to SJPP has currently been replaced for a segment of the journey by a connecting bus from Cambos-les-Bains, and it seems that all future searches for that itinerary include the connecting bus (even though an official SNCF notice shared by @JabbaPapa in this post indicated the bus connection replacement was only in effect until the end of February.) It seems it's for track repair/maintenance so perhaps the train will return at some point in the spring, but for now all searches through mid-May include the bus in the itinerary.

I was able to buy a Paris to SJPP ticket for May 6 via the SNCF website a few days ago, so booking is definitely now open through at least that date. I just tried searching for April 14th for you and came up with the following:

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 12.21.37 PM.png

It seems the SNCF website is very sensitive to the time of day you search for in your intinerary, in addition to the date - and when you search, it will autopopulate that search field with the local time in France. So if you're searching, say, during the day here in North America or in the evening in Europe the search results might come up nil since there are no trains leaving Paris after mid-afternoon. Try searching again with an early morning time (say 09:00h) and see what happens.

Last edited:

It's still too early to purchase transport for that date -- the current difficulties are supposed to end after February 27th, but then booking for that part of the trip is pretty unnecessary, as it is a small local train line.

Booking as far as Bayonne makes sense ; but then look at local timetables, stretch your legs, if you're hungry sit down for a pilgrim menu, or look about town as you prefer ; if you have sleeping arrangements done in SJPP as seems likely given these concerns, and given 14th April is a normal weekday, just get whichever more personally convenient train up to SJPP after your arrival in Bayonne, depending on how tired you may be on the day, or how much in a hurry, or hungry, relaxed, timetables you can see, SJPP hospitalero requests re: time of arrival, and so on -- most importantly, when you step off the train in Bayonne : think like a pilgrim !!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's still too early to purchase transport for that date -- the current difficulties are supposed to end after February 27th, but then booking for that part of the trip is pretty unnecessary, as it is a small local train line.

Booking is indeed open for April 14 - I just booked for May 6, as explained in the reply I seemed to be posting at the same time you were :) The itineraries continue to show the bus connection for dates after February 27, but as I also said in a previous post - as long as it gets me to SJPP somehow, I can't complain.

Booking is indeed open for April 14 - I just booked for May 6, as explained in the reply
Bookings for Bayonne-SJPP are currently open until Sunday 29 May 2022. I clicked through the SNCF booking system right now ... ☺️. There was a bug until recently that prevented booking tickets for trips after the middle of March. Some websites interpreted is as 'tickets not yet released' or as 'no itinerary available' but it was bug that is now fixed.

Bookings for Bayonne-SJPP are currently open until Sunday 29 May 2022. I clicked through the SNCF booking system right now ... ☺️. There was a bug until recently that prevented booking tickets for trips after the middle of March. Some websites interpreted is as 'tickets not yet released' or as 'no itinerary available' but it was bug that is now fixed.

One more reason why I'm finding it better to book with SNCF directly than via intermediary sites like Trainline or Rail Europe - both of which also add a (small) surcharge to the price of the ticket, not unlike Booking.com often does compared to booking with an establishment directly. (And making sure to indicate the time you're hoping to travel makes a big difference with finding itineraries as well: searching for a Paris to SJPP trip for, say, April 14th turns up two itineraries if a 09:00 departure time is indicated in the search, but none for that date if the site pre-fills the time field as 19:00 if one forgets to change it.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As @Kathar1na helpfully explained in this thread, the train route from Bayonne to SJPP has currently been replaced for a segment of the journey by a connecting bus from Cambos-les-Bains, and it seems that all future searches for that itinerary include the connecting bus (even though an official SNCF notice shared by @JabbaPapa in this post indicated the bus connection replacement was only in effect until the end of February.) It seems it's for track repair/maintenance so perhaps the train will return at some point in the spring, but for now all searches through mid-May include the bus in the itinerary.

I was able to buy a Paris to SJPP ticket for May 6 via the SNCF website a few days ago, so booking is definitely now open through at least that date. I just tried searching for April 14th for you and came up with the following:

View attachment 118003

It seems the SNCF website is very sensitive to the time of day you search for in your intinerary, in addition to the date - and when you search, it will autopopulate that search field with the local time in France. So if you're searching, say, during the day here in North America or in the evening in Europe the search results might come up nil since there are no trains leaving Paris after mid-afternoon. Try searching again with an early morning time (say 09:00h) and see what happens.
Thank you so much for confirming that info. I may be unlucky and just have to get a cab from Bayonne as I want to be in SJPDP at a reasonable hour

Not the end of the world. I can offer a lift to some if I get a ride

Thank you so much for confirming that info. I may be unlucky and just have to get a cab from Bayonne as I want to be in SJPDP at a reasonable hour

Glad it was helpful! A 10:00-ish train from Paris will get you to SJPP by 4 PM (even with the bus), which I didn't think was too late - though of course you may want to get there earlier, in which case a cab is always an option. (At US$130-180, though, it's considerably more than the train from Paris to Bayonne!) Wishing you an enjoyable journey and Buen Camino however you get there 👍

Last edited:
Glad it was helpful! A 10:00-ish train from Paris will get you to SJPP by 4 PM (even with the bus), which I didn't think was too late - though of course you may want to get there earlier, in which case a cab is always an option. (At US$130-180, though, it's considerably more than the train from Paris to Bayonne!) Wishing you an enjoyable journey and Buen Camino however you get there 👍
Yup, all that makes sense. I had in mind scouting around the town a bit and meeting pilgrims and 4pm is a slightly late for that.

One way or another I will figure it out, but thanks so much for taking the time to put me in the picture.

Cheers from London, Chris

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back