• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from biarritz to SJPP

Tim61

Time of past OR future Camino
May 1st 2018
Hi all
We are arriving by plane on the 30th April at biarritz can any one advise on best / cheapest way to get to SJPP..?
Thanks
Tim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In my opinion...find a group of Pilgrims on the airplane or in the airport...and share a ride from Biarritz to SJPdP...it might be taxi, train, or shuttle...but there is always a Pilgrim that has done this before in the group...which in my opinion makes it the best way because it takes away all of the first-timer stress...and sharing the cost makes it cheaper.

In my opinion...find a group of Pilgrims on the airplane or in the airport...and share a ride from Biarritz to SJPdP...it might be taxi, train, or shuttle...but there is always a Pilgrim that has done this before in the group...which in my opinion makes it the best way because it takes away all of the first-timer stress...and sharing the cost makes it cheaper.

Hi thanks for the message sounds like a good plan... was thinking of booking train in advance.. but sounds like shuttle bus is a cheaper option.....?
Tim

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cheapest way would be bus from the airport to Bayonne railway station (every 30 minutes or so, 1 euro) then train to Saint Jean (4 per day, last train that day at 18:12, 10.10 euro). Very straightforward. Two caveats though. At the moment French train services are being disrupted by a series of strikes. It would be a good idea to confirm the service is actually running nearer the time. The other issue is that the Bayonne to St Jean line is quite often closed for repair and maintenance - sometimes at very short notice. If that happens a replacement bus service runs from Bayonne railway station and you simply buy a rail ticket as normal in the station and show it to the bus driver.

The shuttle service by Express Bourricot MUST be booked in advance (French law) though that might be at pretty short notice. Even when full and divided amongst everyone it will be more expensive than bus/train. Taxis will cost over 100 euros.

Cheapest way would be bus from the airport to Bayonne railway station (every 30 minutes or so, 1 euro) then train to Saint Jean (4 per day, last train that day at 18:12, 10.10 euro). Very straightforward. Two caveats though. At the moment French train services are being disrupted by a series of strikes. It would be a good idea to confirm the service is actually running nearer the time. The other issue is that the Bayonne to St Jean line is quite often closed for repair and maintenance - sometimes at very short notice. If that happens a replacement bus service runs from Bayonne railway station and you simply buy a rail ticket as normal in the station and show it to the bus driver.

The shuttle service by Express Bourricot MUST be booked in advance (French law) though that might be at pretty short notice. Even when full and divided amongst everyone it will be more expensive than bus/train. Taxis will cost over 100 euros.

Hi
Thanks so much for a great detailed response.... I was getting confused by all the options on line....the train sounds like the best option... our flight gets in at around 4pm .. do you think there would be enough time to Bayonne to get the last train toSJPP..?
Thanks
Tim ;):)

Hi
Thanks so much for a great detailed response.... I was getting confused by all the options on line....the train sounds like the best option... our flight gets in at around 4pm .. do you think there would be enough time to Bayonne to get the last train toSJPP..?
Thanks
Tim ;):)

That should be plenty of time. The airport is very small and you walk straight from the plane into the passport control without miles of corridor! From the airport to Bayonne station only takes about 20 minutes or so.

If you do decide you like the idea of using Express Bourricot then here is their information on making a booking. Provided they can fill their minibus for that particular trip the price will drop to 19 euros per person. Only 8 euros more than the bus/train combination. You may well think it is worth the cost.

https://www.expressbourricot.com/wp...ROM-BIARRITZ-TO-ST-JEAN-PIED-DE-PORT-2018.pdf

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with Bradypus, City bus from airport to Bayonne station 1 euro, then onto SJPP by train, much more economical than express Bourricot whom depend on bus been full to drop price to 18 euro.

Cannot understand fellow pilgrims recommending Bourricot service for pilgrims whom maybe more budget conscious than themselves ?. Its an alternative but not economical for some pilgrims. I was such a pilgrim once.

Piece of bad news French rail service is going through a period of disruption due to intermittent strike action check before you travel. If train is not running a public bus is laid on in car-park beside Bayonne train Station.

Check out forum it has been discussed every day for the past few weeks scroll down from this post and find ongoing discussion on this subject.

Hi all
We are arriving by plane on the 30th April at biarritz can any one advise on best / cheapest way to get to SJPP..?
Thanks
Tim
I am taking the train from Bayonne (12:00 noon) to SJPP for about 10 euros.

On 14 Apr 2018, SNCF was providing bus service from Bayonne railway station to SJPP because of the train strike. The buses accept the train tickets if you purchased in advance. Tickets can also be purchased in the train station for €10. Buses depart on the same schedule as the trains. Journey time is 90 minutes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just walk from airport to station. Not a bad walk, maybe an hour, and can see old town on route then €10 for train.

Hi all, I will arrive at 16:55... I guess that will be very tight for the train! Do you think I’ll have a chance of getting the last train?

If it is necessary to take the bus from Bayonne to SJPDP, I would suggest you take a travel sickness pill, if you are susceptible to motion sickness. It is a curvy ride.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all
Thanks
Tim
Another posting said to use Express Bourricort, which is a taxi/shuttle share from Biarritz to St Jean.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I am arriving in Biarritz the day after (April 29th) at 16:55 and have a problem. Trainline.eu says the only remaining train from Bayonne is at 21:10 and doesn't arrive in St Jean until 22:28 which is way later than I want to arrive. Express Bourricort has told me that their shuttle is already full for that evening.

Do I have any other options other than trying to get a bunch of fellow pilgrim together at the airport to share a taxi?

As I leave for SJPP on May 4, I have gone thru this exercise just a week or two ago.

Best cost on full Express Bourricot bus is about 8 to 10 euro per person. Price of bus is 84 euro divided by number of passengers. That is from Biarritz Airport. No walking required, except onto bus. Time to SJPP, 1 hour. Next option is train as provided above. What is not nmentioned is that with strikes going on, the alternate bus may or may not be on ther same schedule. And, if it is late in the day, staying overnight to grab the first train / bus next day, will add further cost, paying for a bed and meals.Time is 1.5 to 2 hours from airport, to Bayonne Train Station, to SJPP. Last option is taxi from airport. Finding 3 pilgrims to share is usually easy. Cost is 25 to 35 euro each and time is 1 hour to SJPP. Taxi is the fastest, simplest option, but most expensive

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry to hijack the thread but I am arriving in Biarritz the day after (April 29th) at 16:55 and have a problem. Trainline.eu says the only remaining train from Bayonne is at 21:10 and doesn't arrive in St Jean until 22:28 which is way later than I want to arrive. Express Bourricort has told me that their shuttle is already full for that evening.

Do I have any other options other than trying to get a bunch of fellow pilgrim together at the airport to share a taxi?
Stay overnight in Bayonne.

Does anyone have any suggestions between pre-booking public transportation or just buying once there?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all
Thanks
Tim

I have just arrived in SJPdP having not booked transport taxi whatever it is called this leaves half hr after the flight got in 17.30. Being Sunday there were no local buses for 90mins so I took a taxi with a Hungarian girl I met at the bus stop to Bayonne for 35Euros - expensive yes but there were no othet people waiting to try sort a direct taxi or as other Pelegrino ( pilgrim) suggested walk the 7.4km.Taxi driver from Bayonne station wanted 135 Euro to drive SJPdP 19.30 Sunday evening so got bus - replacement train service to SJPdP arriving 22.30 it leaves last service at 21.10 for €10.10. other people on plane had been on facebook group page re transfers I'd suggest find people online to share taxi from the airpirt as is most direct or see if there is a blabla car share available .....Bayonne station area got loaf cafes to gang around at but under lot construction & pretty grubby.

Good luck anyway buen camino to come. Deb

Same problem, arriving at the same time, Bourricot booked out for the rest of the day. So I'm in for sharing the (=any) ride. Anyone else for April 29th?

For the airport bus and the train to Saint Jean no reservations are possible - simply pay the bus driver and pay for a train ticket at the station office.
Sorry Bradypus, both the bus from CDG to Montparnasse and the train from there to Bayonne can be booked. And with the strike on again / off again, I did book myself for both. I have the pass in my pack now for the bus and for both trains from Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne. And when I do get to Gare de Montparnasse, I will pick up my ticket to SJPP. In this way, travel is settled and covered. And, even with the strike, on or off, ticket holders have reserved seats, either way.

Also, for the train from Bayonne to SJPP, as I am over 60, fare came to 7.6 euro. Hard to beat!!!

€60,-
I took the shuttle. Caroline from Express Bourricot picked me and several others and delivered us to St Jean. It was so easy and no waiting. Apcaroline@hotmail.com

Sorry Bradypus, both the bus from CDG to Montparnasse and the train from there to Bayonne can be booked. And with the strike on again / off again, I did book myself for both.

I am sure that is true. But the OP asked about the bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne station and the train from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port. The question has nothing to do with travel to or from Paris. Reservations are neither possible or necessary on the Biarritz to Bayonne airport bus or the TER train service between Bayonne and SJPDP .

Hi all, I will arrive at 16:55... I guess that will be very tight for the train! Do you think I’ll have a chance of getting the last train?
I'm in the same boat, I get in at 16:55 on April 25th. I'm hoping to get the bus to Bayonne, then the train-replacement bus to SJPdP, leaving Bayonne at 18:12.

Kind of worried to be honest, it's more risky than I'm really comfortable with.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am sure that is true. But the OP asked about the bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne station and the train from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port. The question has nothing to do with travel to or from Paris. Reservations are neither possible or necessary on the Biarritz to Bayonne airport bus or the TER train service between Bayonne and SJPDP .
Hey Bradypus,

I was not responding to the OP, I was responding to your comment regarding booking a train ticket. Your comment was correct re: the bus from the airport to Bayonne, but every other option is bookable, except maybe a taxi. (Never needed to explore that option further).

My response to the OP had been made several days before that.

That should be plenty of time. The airport is very small and you walk straight from the plane into the passport control without miles of corridor! From the airport to Bayonne station only takes about 20 minutes or so.

If you do decide you like the idea of using Express Bourricot then here is their information on making a booking. Provided they can fill their minibus for that particular trip the price will drop to 19 euros per person. Only 8 euros more than the bus/train combination. You may well think it is worth the cost.

https://www.expressbourricot.com/wp...ROM-BIARRITZ-TO-ST-JEAN-PIED-DE-PORT-2018.pdf
'

Hi ...Im at Biarritz 2/5 10:05 (flight IB 82 42) want transport to SJPDP ( in a Group)
<thanks Walter Heden

I was not responding to the OP, I was responding to your comment regarding booking a train ticket. Your comment was correct re: the bus from the airport to Bayonne, but every other option is bookable, except maybe a taxi..

I think there is a little confusion here. It is certainly possible to buy a ticket for the Bayonne to SJPDP train in advance. You may save a little time queuing for a ticket at Bayonne station by doing so. However, it is not possible to reserve seats on that train and possession of a pre-purchased ticket will not give any preferential access to seats. Boarding is simply first come, first served. For those who have flown into Biarritz there is very little advantage in buying a ticket in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yo

I have the same problem. You can contact James st
http://www.biarritzairporttransfers.com
He charges 120 euro for 1-8 people.

I'm in the same boat, I get in at 16:55 on April 25th. I'm hoping to get the bus to Bayonne, then the train-replacement bus to SJPdP, leaving Bayonne at 18:12.

Kind of worried to be honest, it's more risky than I'm really comfortable with.
I decided to book the shuttle, I think that the time is too short and I really dislike stress... the shuttle, if full, should not be more than 19 Euro, so hopefully it will be full ! It’s called express bourricot: contact@expressbourricot.com

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back