• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from CDG Airport (Paris) to Gran Montparnasse (to catch train to Bayonne)

SallyJane

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Does anyone have experience with this train trip?

I arrive at CDG Airport at 7.35 in the morning. I've looked at my airlines on-time arrival history and at times they have arrived as late as 8.45am. So I have to plan around a delayed arrival as a worst case scenario. I've factored in an hour and a half to get through the airport and get a train from the airport to Montparnasse station about 10.30am.

From there I wanted to catch the train to Bayonne at 12.15pm

The question and confusion I have is one website is saying the trip from the airport to Mon...train station can take over 2 hours whereas the train website journey planner says the trip takes one hour including a train change.

This is important info because it determines if I book the 12.15pm train or the train about 2pm.

Does anyone know how long the train trip from the airport actually is?
Many thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Besides taking a taxi if you are pressed for time, there are two means of public transit. The RER and the metro which requires one change and a bus at the end of T2 (I think?) that goes directly to Gare Montparnasse. I have a similar connection at the end of April and I plan to take the bus, I have never had an issue getting to the noon train headed to Biarritz. It usually give me time to buy a sandwich and drink for the trip, too.

The RER and metro trip from CDG to Gare Montparnasse won’t take more than an hour. The advantage to this way is that you avoid morning traffic which buses or taxis will encounter. However, I have taken the bus into the city in the morning with no major difficulties. You should have no problem catching the noon train.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
12:38 to Massy TGV arrive 13:34
Then 14:18 to Dax arrive 17:30
17 :44 to Bayonne
Arrive 18:27
No need to go via Paris and your flight can be as late as it wants. Get some food, relax, Dax is a small station and you will easily make that connection.

Last edited:
2:38 to Roissy TGV arrive 13:34
I think that you meant train from CdG to Massy TGV train station?

@SallyJane, you have the choice between the two options described: from CdG through Paris first by RER train and then by metro to Gare Montparnasse, or from CdG by TGV train to Massy TGV station, avoiding crossing through Paris.

I'd just like to add one thing: journey time from CdG to Montparnasse is indeed around 60 minutes. However, I remember that the first time that I did this or a similar trip, it took me longer than the second and subsequent times, because the first time I needed longer to figure out how and where to buy train and metro tickets in Paris, which stairs and corridors and directions I had to take in the various stations and so on because everything was unfamiliar. However, I cannot say how much this added to my journey time through Paris.

I think that you meant train from CdG to Massy TGV train station?

@SallyJane, you have the choice between the two options described: from CdG through Paris first by RER train and then by metro to Gare Montparnasse, or from CdG by TGV train to Massy TGV station, avoiding crossing through Paris.

I'd just like to add one thing: journey time from CdG to Montparnasse is indeed around 60 minutes. However, I remember that the first time that I did this or a similar trip, it took me longer than the second and subsequent times, because the first time I needed longer to figure out how and where to buy train and metro tickets in Paris, which stairs and corridors and directions I had to take in the various stations and so on because everything was unfamiliar. However, I cannot say how much this added to my journey time through Paris.
Yes, sorry. Massy TGV

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am going to agree to disagree with Grousedoctor for some of the same reason Kathar1na brought up. If you are not familiar with the Paris metro there are someplace on that underground trip that are confusing and require buying tickets to change services. Admittedly the Le Bus can get jammed up in morning traffic but it still is just one ticket and one stop from when you leave the airport. I saw some other comments about spending time in Paris and given the rigors of your long journey that might be a good idea. If you have any travel disruptions from Thailand then a night to refresh in Paris with a good meal and a new day to start on the train to Bayonne would be a good idea. I live near Bayonne and it is a fantastic place to visit but if you can catch the train from Bayonne to SJPdP, I would do that. At that point you can stay a night in SJPdP and know exactly what date to reserve at Orrison.
FYI, I have already purchased my first class train ticket from the Train app to Biarritz on 21 April because I have done this trip before and gone to the train station without a ticket and found myself standing in the second class car most of the trip.

The train usually takes about 1 hour from CDG to Montparnasse. Theoretically - you should have plenty of time. That said - I tend to want to play it safe and have a little more play room for any plane delays, if you are checking baggage - there could be baggage delays, and then of course there could be customs/immigration delays. And then there can be navigation confusion - especially if it is your first time navigating CDG and/or Paris. If you don't want to reserve a room in SJPDP - you would need to be on the earlier train to have a greater change of finding a bed. If you do reserve a room/bed - then you can take the later train, have a more leisurely lunch in Paris, and not worry about the possibility of missing a train. But again - if you DO book the earlier time - I do think you have plenty of time. Your choice!

FWIW, I booked the complete train trip from CDG TO Bayonne through the SNCF website. It includes both trains and I was able to reserve seats. The train departs CDG ~12:10. My flight is supposed to arrive 9:30, so if I’m able to clear C&E quickly, I’ll try to find a train office, someone who speaks English, and see If there is a faster connection If not, I’ll just enjoy the hospitality of CDG airport for a few hours.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
FWIW, I booked the complete train trip from CDG TO Bayonne through the SNCF website. It includes both trains and I was able to reserve seats. The train departs CDG ~12:10. My flight is supposed to arrive 9:30, so if I’m able to clear C&E quickly, I’ll try to find a train office, someone who speaks English, and see If there is a faster connection If not, I’ll just enjoy the hospitality of CDG airport for a few hours.
Just so you know - if you pull up google maps while at the airport and ask for directions to Gare Montparnasse - it will give you all the transportation options - train and bus, the times that are coming up for those routes, directions on which trains to take, and how long each direction option will take you to get to your destination. It is pretty simple. Usually I can even get directions while in the airport to get through the airport. I always have my maps open at new airports in foreign countries (in the US I just follow signs). You would just need to find the kiosk for the train tickets - but the directions usually take you directly past the kiosks. I don't recall if they had a manned train information booth at CDG - I don't remember seeing anything except the kiosks to buy the tickets.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back