• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Charles DeGaulle to St. John Pied de Port

jcl-clonmel

Time of past OR future Camino
2018, 2019, 2022
Hi,
After a 2-year wait, I am finally planning for my 3rd Camino on the Camino Francés.
The first two have been more 'distance walks' and I'm hoping that, by giving myself more time, this becomes more of a pilgrimage.

I will arrive in Paris at Charles de Gaulle at about 10:15 on a Tuesday morning in mid-May.
My plan is to take the train to St. John Pied de Port.
I would like to purchase my train ticket in advance. through Trainline (any better ideas)?

How much time should I allow to get from the Delta terminal to the train station?

Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can find an exact trainschedule on www.rome2rio.com, including prices, timetable and how to buy your tickets.

In short: you'll have to take a train to the station Paris Montparnasse. From there you take the TGV (Train Grande Vitesse, fast train) to Bayonne, and from Bayonne to SJPdP you take the local train.

As @Ianinam just said as I was composing my response, there's no "direct" way to purchase a train ticket in advance from CDG to SJPP - you need to get from the airport to Paris Montparnasse first and then catch the train to SJPP from there.*

(*Edit: I stand corrected on the above - there are trains from CDG to Bayonne via Bordeaux and Dax that don't require going through Paris Montparnasse, but the schedule is still not amenable to getting to SJPP before mid-evening unless you can leave CDG by early morning - see train schedules in my post below.)

It takes about an hour to get from CDG to Montparnasse (via RER B, changing to the Paris Metro at Saint Michel or Denfert-Rochereau). There's an RER B train from the airport to central Paris about every 10-15 minutes during the day (no need to purchase this part in advance - I'm not even sure you can). I'd give yourself at least a half hour after you get your luggage and go through customs to grab some coffee and get to the RER station, so we're talking at least 90 minutes post-customs to get to Montparnasse after your plane lands.

You can buy tickets from Paris to SJPP (via Bayonne) in advance via Trainline or RailEurope - or via the SNCF (French railway) website or app, which may save you a few Euros.

There are about half a dozen trains a day from Paris to Bayonne, where you'll change to a train – and then a bus, depending when you're going – to get to SJPP. (The whole Paris to SJPP journey can be booked at the same time though - you don't need to book each of those legs separately.)

The trip from Paris Montparnasse to SJPP (via Bayonne) is about 4 1/2 hours.

So if you're landing at CDG mid-morning you probably won't be able to catch any trains to Bayonne/SJPP until 2 PM or later, which will get you to SJPP by 6:30 PM at the earliest. Needless to say, it will be a very long and hectic day of travel, especially after an overnight flight from the U.S.!

Have you considered spending a day/night in Paris to rest up and adjust to the time change before heading to SJPP? You can catch a 10 AM train from Montparnasse the next morning, and be in SJPP by 4 PM or so.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having done what you’re interested in doing, I concur with @SeniorJacques that it’s a long and tiring day. Arriving at 10 in the morning, you should be able to make it for a two pm train. I did something very similar and after two trains arrived in SJPP in the early evening tired as a dog! Learning from that trip, on our 2019 Camino, my wife and I stayed overnight in Paris, enjoyed the city, got a good night’s sleep, and caught an early morning train to Bayonne and then on into SJPP. We arrived in Basque country rested, we had the time to explore and sightsee around the village, visit the Pilgrim’s Office, eat some good food, and get ready for our first day on the CF. As @SeniorJacques suggested, I, too, would encourage you to think about overnighting in Paris and then head to SJPP the next day. Having done both itineraries, my preference is the later. I booked my train ticket on the SNCF website well in advance and got a good fare.

Hi,
After a 2-year wait, I am finally planning for my 3rd Camino on the Camino Francés.
The first two have been more 'distance walks' and I'm hoping that, by giving myself more time, this becomes more of a pilgrimage.

I will arrive in Paris at Charles de Gaulle at about 10:15 on a Tuesday morning in mid-May.
I would like to purchase my train ticket in advance. through Trainline (any better ideas)?

How much time should I allow to get from the Delta terminal to the train station?

Thanks!
Others have told you the train details. You will be doing exactly what we did, so the train details others are laying out for you are spot on.

I really like your point about slowing down. As @Grousedoctor suggested, my first thought was spend a day or so in Paris, then continue on.

I have taken that morning train from CDG to SJPdP before. I bought the tickets at the CDG station. It is indeed a long day, but the train was quite comfortable and it was overall a memorable trip. I do remember changing trains in Bourdeaux and Bayonne. The Bourdeaux train change I do remember had a very short layover time. Like fifteen minutes. Do not know if it is still the same way now.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Please accept a big "Thank you!" to each of you for so many great replies with so much information.
I was especially interested to learn about the rome2rio.com web page. I've already checked it out.
In the past, I have flown from Paris to Bayonne and spent the day there. I think I will do that again. If I can get a similar flight, there's enough time for a dinner that evening and a walk on the beach before the train leaves for St Jean.
That will help me begin the Camino without feeling is if I'm rushing through.
Again, thank you to each and everyone of you for your gracious help.
Joanie

First, know that there is an English speaking line at the train terminal in Paris - that was important to me since I can handle a few languages (poorly) but French is not one of them. Perhaps, it's not an issue with you.
Second, I'm sure that we booked the sleeper option from Paris to Bayonne. It is an option but if you're looking for a good nights rest take one of the options that allows you to start out from SdP fresh!
Buen Camino.

According to trainline, there is a train that leaves CDG airport to Bayonne at 11:38, and 12:50, and later times that go to Bayonne. You have to make a couple of changes but this has always been my choice- catch the train right in the airport.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Please accept a big "Thank you!" to each of you for so many great replies with so much information.
I was especially interested to learn about the rome2rio.com web page. I've already checked it out.
In the past, I have flown from Paris to Bayonne and spent the day there. I think I will do that again. If I can get a similar flight, there's enough time for a dinner that evening and a walk on the beach before the train leaves for St Jean.
That will help me begin the Camino without feeling is if I'm rushing through.
Again, thank you to each and everyone of you for your gracious help.
Joanie
HI from someone who lived (no longer in Ashland). I do not know what your time constraints are or how much you like Paris but why not take a couple of days to rest from your flight, acclimate to the time change and enjoy Paris? I have flown into Paris, Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon and I always do that. I am not a frantic tourist by any means. In fact I just rest, sit in cafes, eat and maybe see one or two things for a few days before I begin. It helps me alot and takes the stress out of things considerably. It is stressful enough just flying halfway around the world and then worrying about connections and traveling another long distance.

Hi,

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks!
Hi JCL,

Like Senor Jacques, I have to agree that spending the evening in Paris and heading out the next morning sure makes a lot of sense. That's what I did several years ago, and have a couple other suggestions which worked well for me:
- I bought tickets on Rail Europe for Paris Montparnasse to Bayonne over a month in advance (as you can now.) The price really jumps up a lot (like double) the later you leave it. You can check prices out by trying different departure dates. As the name implies, the TGV train is very fast. There are several times/options, and booking early is also preferable to try to get a direct train to Bayonne, and avoid the stress of a connection with only a few minutes.
- Bayonne is quite a nice city, famous for its chocolate. If you get an early bird train out of Paris, you can have time for a little walk around Bayonne before train/bus to SJPP, . . . . .and buy say a chocolate bar to treat yourself walking over the Pyrenees!

Bruce30170

I have taken that morning train from CDG to SJPdP before. I bought the tickets at the CDG station. It is indeed a long day, but the train was quite comfortable and it was overall a memorable trip. I do remember changing trains in Bourdeaux and Bayonne. The Bourdeaux train change I do remember had a very short layover time. Like fifteen minutes. Do not know if it is still the same way now.
It is! I just booked it and it’s 17 minutes to change trains!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
According to trainline, there is a train that leaves CDG airport to Bayonne at 11:38, and 12:50, and later times that go to Bayonne. You have to make a couple of changes but this has always been my choice- catch the train right in the airport.

You're right, and I will amend my post above accordingly. I didn't find an 11:38 AM train for the date I searched but an 11:28 AM train on a nearby date gets to Bayonne at 8 PM (and there's no trains from Bayonne to SJPP after that until the next morning) – and the 12:40 PM gets to Bayonne around 6:30 PM (there's then a train that leaves Bayonne for SJPP at 6:35 PM, arriving around 8 PM, but that's a pretty tight connection.)

So yes, the 12:40 PM train from CDG to Bayonne/SJPP is technically an option assuming you can get through customs & c. and to the train station in time after a 10:15 AM landing. But you'd be getting to SJPP in the mid-evening after a very long day of travel before starting physically demanding walk early the next morning - and I see that @jcl-clonmel is coming from the U.S. west coast, which makes the journey even longer!

To get to Bayonne and thence to SJPP from CDG at a reasonable hour means taking an early morning (8:10 AM) train via Bordeaux, which @jcl-clonmel won't be able to do if her flight lands at 10:15 AM. Staying in Paris for an evening and taking the train the next day still strikes me as the more reasonable option. (Plus - it's Paris!) Of course, spending the night in Bayonne and heading to SJPP the next morning is an option as well.

I took screenshots of the schedules on Trainline for Tuesday, May 10 (my best guess for "a Tuesday in mid-May") for CDG to Bayonne, and Bayonne to SJPP. Whatever option you take, wishing you a very Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.44.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.44.34 AM.png
    198 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.43.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.43.38 AM.png
    160.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
HI from someone who lived (no longer in Ashland). I do not know what your time constraints are or how much you like Paris but why not take a couple of days to rest from your flight, acclimate to the time change and enjoy Paris? I have flown into Paris, Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon and I always do that. I am not a frantic tourist by any means. In fact I just rest, sit in cafes, eat and maybe see one or two things for a few days before I begin. It helps me alot and takes the stress out of things considerably. It is stressful enough just flying halfway around the world and then worrying about connections and traveling another long distance.

Agreed! I will be spending two nights in Paris at my favorite cozy (read: simple and inexpensive) hotel on the Left Bank before heading to SJPP in early May, and the only things I have on my agenda are a walk to the Tour Saint Jacques (anyone know if they still offer stamps for one's credential?) and a peek into Decathlon and Uniqlo for any last-minute Camino needs. But aside from those things, resting up a bit before my walk will be the order of the day.

Last edited:
Agreed! I will be spending two nights in Paris at my favorite cozy (read: simple and inexpensive) hotel on the Left Bank before heading to SJPP in early May, and the only things I have on my agenda are a walk to the Tour Saint Jacques (anyone know if they still offer stamps for one's credential?) and a peek into Decathlon and Uniqlo for any last-minute Camino needs. But aside from those things, resting up a bit before my walk will be the order of the day.

Remember one word when you go to Decathlon. Discipline is the key word. Every time I have gone into Decathlon to pick up walking poles before a camino I start saying oh I will just get this or that and if I do not demonstrate that key word Discipline I will walk out of the store with my pack weighing 2 kilos more!!!! haha.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

We are also staying two nights in Paris pre Camino. I was able to use points for a free room at one of the Hyatts. We are going to take the on and off bus and I have skip the line Eiffel Tower tickets. Otherwise we’ll be eating and resting!

Remember one word when you go to Decathlon. Discipline is the key word. Every time I have gone into Decathlon to pick up walking poles before a camino I start saying oh I will just get this or that and if I do not demonstrate that key word Discipline I will walk out of the store with my pack weighing 2 kilos more!!!! haha.

Thanks for the advice - I really do only plan on going to Decathlon (never been in one before!) to pick up a walking pole or two, but you never know ...

Speaking of walking poles, does anyone know if I can take them back on the plane with me when I return to the U.S. after my walk? /s 🤣

Last edited:
Agreed! I will be spending two nights in Paris at my favorite cozy (read: simple and inexpensive) hotel on the Left Bank before heading to SJPP in early May, and the only things I have on my agenda are a walk to the Tour Saint Jacques (anyone know if they still offer stamps for one's credential?)
What a coincidence to read this. We were there yesterday. We’ve been there a few times so just had a short stroll around the gardens, enjoying the fabulous sunshine - so I don’t know about the stamp. 😎

Attachments

• E230AA97-ACA0-474C-A265-FA08DCAEB2DF.jpeg
    E230AA97-ACA0-474C-A265-FA08DCAEB2DF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • B67D604A-49E8-4A04-8675-85B5A1E05A4F.jpeg
    B67D604A-49E8-4A04-8675-85B5A1E05A4F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a coincidence to read this. We were there yesterday. We’ve been there a few times so just had a short stroll around the gardens, enjoying the fabulous sunshine - so I don’t know about the stamp. 😎

How wonderful! I feel like the Camino is sending me good signs already 😀 Looks like a gorgeous spring day in Paris - is there anything more lovely?

It is! I just booked it and it’s 17 minutes to change trains!
I found it to be kinda too short an amount of time for me, as I speak no French and I had a bit of difficulty finding the next train. I just barely made it. Not saying will be that difficult for you, just something to keep in mind.
I definitely recommend making reservations for a place to stay in St Jean, if you haven't already.

Agreed! I will be spending two nights in Paris at my favorite cozy (read: simple and inexpensive) hotel on the Left Bank

Senor Jaques - Your words favorite, cozy, simple and inexpensive hotel in Paris caught my eye.

Would it be possible to disclose the name of this hotel?

We have been to Paris staying a night on each occasion passing through and we would love to return one day to stay at a simple and inexpensive hotel to explore the wonderful city of Paris properly.

Also, by way of a passing mention, when we booked our rail fare from Paris to Bayonne in 2016, we were able to qualify for a seniors over 60 years fare, first class for a mere 37 euro each. It took a bit of digging around for a few hours with a French dictionary in hand but remember that was in 2016 - a long time ago.

Thanks

Graham

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Senor Jaques - Your words favorite, cozy, simple and inexpensive hotel in Paris caught my eye.

Would it be possible to disclose the name of this hotel?

Don't tell anyone ;)

(And apologies if this is derailing this thread! It is still about Paris though, right?)

Another alternative is to take the train directly to Bordeaux and spend a night (or two).
The train ride from there to Bayonne/SJPP is very short and you get the chance to see Bordeaux, one of the most beautiful cities in the world!
(If the train people aren't on strike again, then its a bus ride!) C'est la vie!

I found it to be kinda too short an amount of time for me, as I speak no French and I had a bit of difficulty finding the next train. I just barely made it. Not saying will be that difficult for you, just something to keep in mind.
I definitely recommend making reservations for a place to stay in St Jean, if you haven't already.
Oh I was hoping it would be easy with signage. We don’t speak French either!
We made our reservation in SJPP so we’re good there.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,

Thanks!
Great question. I'm a newbie too. Got tons of questions trying it all now. What's the best guidebook?

Great question. I'm a newbie too. Got tons of questions trying it all now. What's the best guidebook?

Welcome! That's probably a topic for its own thread - I'm sure you will get many responses and opinions. (I'm a fan of @wisepilgrim's Wise Pilgrim guides myself.) Taking a look at the Camino guidebooks available in @ivar's store would be a great start to seeing the range of guides available.

Oh I was hoping it would be easy with signage. We don’t speak French either!
We made our reservation in SJPP so we’re good there.
Honestly I do not remember what indicated me to which train for the change. I just remember it was quite busy at the time and a lot of trains there in Bourdeaux and finding mine was difficult for me. It might be a completely different experience for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Personally I like the Brierley guidebook. It is quite user friendly and as mentioned already it is available here on the forum and I believe it comes with a pilgrim's passport, gratis.
I am old school when it comes to navigation and the like and I like to physically read a book or map and I have used the Brierley guidebook for the Frances and Portugues and it does do a good job showing what accommodations and facilities are available on the routes and a brief description of most of the towns and cities, and inset maps of the bigger cities which I always found useful.

As @Ianinam just said as I was composing my response, there's no "direct" way to purchase a train ticket in advance from CDG to SJPP - you need to get from the airport to Paris Montparnasse first and then catch the train to SJPP from there.*

(*Edit: I stand corrected on the above - there are trains from CDG to Bayonne via Bordeaux and Dax that don't require going through Paris Montparnasse, but the schedule is still not amenable to getting to SJPP before mid-evening unless you can leave CDG by early morning - see train schedules in my post below.)

It takes about an hour to get from CDG to Montparnasse (via RER B, changing to the Paris Metro at Saint Michel or Denfert-Rochereau). There's an RER B train from the airport to central Paris about every 10-15 minutes during the day (no need to purchase this part in advance - I'm not even sure you can). I'd give yourself at least a half hour after you get your luggage and go through customs to grab some coffee and get to the RER station, so we're talking at least 90 minutes post-customs to get to Montparnasse after your plane lands.

You can buy tickets from Paris to SJPP (via Bayonne) in advance via Trainline or RailEurope - or via the SNCF (French railway) website or app, which may save you a few Euros.

There are about half a dozen trains a day from Paris to Bayonne, where you'll change to a train – and then a bus, depending when you're going – to get to SJPP. (The whole Paris to SJPP journey can be booked at the same time though - you don't need to book each of those legs separately.)

The trip from Paris Montparnasse to SJPP (via Bayonne) is about 4 1/2 hours.

So if you're landing at CDG mid-morning you probably won't be able to catch any trains to Bayonne/SJPP until 2 PM or later, which will get you to SJPP by 6:30 PM at the earliest. Needless to say, it will be a very long and hectic day of travel, especially after an overnight flight from the U.S.!

Have you considered spending a day/night in Paris to rest up and adjust to the time change before heading to SJPP? You can catch a 10 AM train from Montparnasse the next morning, and be in SJPP by 4 PM or so.
I just looked for trains from Paris to Bayonne for APRIL 23rd and I guess the fastest (4 hrs xx) isn't available for sale online. (Yet?)

I just looked for trains from Paris to Bayonne for APRIL 23rd and I guess the fastest (4 hrs xx) isn't available for sale online. (Yet?)

Tickets should definitely be available for that date (I bought mine for May 6 almost a month ago.) Could be that there's not a "fast" train on the particular day you're looking for, or it's already sold out?

Also, depending how you are searching for trains (Trainline, Rail Europe, or SNCF) the system may automatically insert a departure time into the search field - and if it's late in the day/evening not all trains for a particular date may show up. Be sure you also include the time you want to travel in your search and see if that helps.

Update!: I searched that date for you on Trainline (making sure to include a "departure time" of 8 AM to make sure all trains for that day showed up in the results) and there are three four hour Paris-Bayonne trains available. See screenshot below and feel free to PM me if you need more help. (I'm beginning to think it would have been fun to be a travel agent in another life ... ) :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 9.40.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 9.40.44 PM.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You're right, and I will amend my post above accordingly. I didn't find an 11:38 AM train for the date I searched but an 11:28 AM train on a nearby date gets to Bayonne at 8 PM (and there's no trains from Bayonne to SJPP after that until the next morning) – and the 12:40 PM gets to Bayonne around 6:30 PM (there's then a train that leaves Bayonne for SJPP at 6:35 PM, arriving around 8 PM, but that's a pretty tight connection.)

So yes, the 12:40 PM train from CDG to Bayonne/SJPP is technically an option assuming you can get through customs & c. and to the train station in time after a 10:15 AM landing. But you'd be getting to SJPP in the mid-evening after a very long day of travel before starting physically demanding walk early the next morning - and I see that @jcl-clonmel is coming from the U.S. west coast, which makes the journey even longer!

To get to Bayonne and thence to SJPP from CDG at a reasonable hour means taking an early morning (8:10 AM) train via Bordeaux, which @jcl-clonmel won't be able to do if her flight lands at 10:15 AM. Staying in Paris for an evening and taking the train the next day still strikes me as the more reasonable option. (Plus - it's Paris!) Of course, spending the night in Bayonne and heading to SJPP the next morning is an option as well.

I took screenshots of the schedules on Trainline for Tuesday, May 10 (my best guess for "a Tuesday in mid-May") for CDG to Bayonne, and Bayonne to SJPP. Whatever option you take, wishing you a very Buen Camino!
I took the train from Montparnasse to Bayonne which is a sweet little town to stay overnight. Took the train the next morning to SJPdP with a lot of other pilgrims, rested and ready to go. Stayed at Beilari in SJPdP for a wonderful start. Buen Camino.

I took the train from Montparnasse to Bayonne which is a sweet little town to stay overnight. Took the train the next morning to SJPdP with a lot of other pilgrims, rested and ready to go. Stayed at Beilari in SJPdP for a wonderful start. Buen Camino.
I did the same thing.
Train from CDG to Gare Montparnasse then an overnight stay in Bayonne.
The following morning I headed for SJPdP and walked to Orisson after dropping by the Pilgrim's office.

Anyone planning travel CDG > Montparnasse > Bayonne should be aware that the RER B line is being redeveloped. Mostly over night and at weekends. The Port-Royal RER-B station is closed until August 2022. Denfert-Rochereau station is open and it is about a 20 min walk to Gare Montparnasse

At the same time the Air France Bus Direct service was closed in 2020 and has not resumed.

From my experience it can take up to 2 hours from the landing time to taxi to the terminal, disembark, pass through immigration, collect your luggage and then pass customs. Probable the least stressful way is to catch a flight to Biarritz its only about 1 euro fare on the local bus to Bayonne.

As others have suggested take your time and overnight in Paris, and/or Bayonne also St Jean Pied de Port. All are worth spentding time in.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My first Camino I stayed near the station and took the train down to biarritz then got a taxi which was expensive. This time I am flying to biarritz, staying in Bayonne for 2 days then walking to SJPdP

A night in Bordeaux is a good way to do this journey, but if you prefer Paris the St. Christopher's Inn is just across the road from Gare du Nord. Dorm or private room, your choice. Book direct and you get a free breakfast. RER from CDG to Gare du Nord. If it works with your flight time direct CDG to Poitiers, night there, then via Limoges to Bordeaux and onward.

I took May 18th as an example and with you arriving in CDG at 10.30. There are always the possibility of delays but leaving the station at CDG at 12.38, then by way of Massy TGV and Dax you would arrive in Bayonne at 18.27 for 53,40€ as of today. No rush for connections. A night spent in Bayonne then SJPDP the next morning.

Flying from CDG to Biarritz and Express Bourricot to St. Jean is a lot quicker than the train.

-Paul

Tickets should definitely be available for that date (I bought mine for May 6 almost a month ago.) Could be that there's not a "fast" train on the particular day you're looking for, or it's already sold out?

Also, depending how you are searching for trains (Trainline, Rail Europe, or SNCF) the system may automatically insert a departure time into the search field - and if it's late in the day/evening not all trains for a particular date may show up. Be sure you also include the time you want to travel in your search and see if that helps.

Update!: I searched that date for you on Trainline (making sure to include a "departure time" of 8 AM to make sure all trains for that day showed up in the results) and there are three four hour Paris-Bayonne trains available. See screenshot below and feel free to PM me if you need more help. (I'm beginning to think it would have been fun to be a travel agent in another life ... ) :)
I agree with the being a travel agent, it's fun to explore the possibilities. you are probably correct on the error in looking up tickets, it was the afternoon in California and in sure the time slot was incorrect on the ticket search. thanks for following up!

I agree with the being a travel agent, it's fun to explore the possibilities. you are probably correct on the error in looking up tickets, it was the afternoon in California and in sure the time slot was incorrect on the ticket search. thanks for following up!
Darn! "Crap" lol. looks like the 12:11 train is sold out! since you seem to be so knowledgeable, do they really sell out or could I just get a ticket at the station? I w would think they allot so any for online purchase and leave some for on-site?

Speaking of the Montparnasse train - does anyone know what Platform it "usually' departs from or is it pretty much a flexible thing?
I have a TGV INOUI #8537 departing 20 May @ 10:11?
thanks

Speaking of the Montparnasse train - does anyone know what Platform it "usually' departs from or is it pretty much a flexible thing?
thanks
I have that same train on May 28! Thanks for asking this question!

thanks
You can watch the real time departure board for a few days to see whether there is a pattern. Have you been to the Montparnasse station before? As far as I remember, the layout makes it easy to find and access your platform.

Click on this link for current departures of trains from Gare Montparnasse (voie=platform):

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OK this is funny
Capture.JPG

a RAINDEER! on TGV! no Santa Claus to boot!!!!

sorry could not resist 😂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I really like your point about slowing down. As @Grousedoctor suggested, my first thought was spend a day or so in Paris, then continue on.
I like Tim's thought process - slow down, spend a day or so in Paris. That said - I actively tried to do the opposite in order to slow down. My plane arrives in CDG around 10:30 and nothing would make me happier than to be able to catch a 2-6pm train to Bayonne or elsewhere. Don't get me wrong - I love Paris. But Paris is a huge city and very busy/noisy. I find it to be the exact opposite of how I want to start my Camino - to begin a Pilgrimage. Flying from Phoenix AZ to San Francisco, CA to Paris, France is indeed a VERY long day - so that first day in Paris is for me is a wasted day. I would have to wait a few hours - check into a hotel in the early afternoon, and would probably fall asleep for hours and then wake up at some crazy hour in the middle of the night or before dawn. I would rather take the train straight out of Paris (earliest one possible) and get to Bayonne (or elsewhere) closer to bedtime and get a good night sleep - but attempt to wake up at a reasonable hour of the morning to get on the current time zone. Then I would prefer to spend a more leisurely day the following day in a small but beautiful town getting ready for the Camino. Anyhow - spending a couple days in Paris is rarely a bad idea, but I don't find it a good way to ease into a Camino. Unfortunately I couldn't get a conveniently timed train from Paris to Bayonne - so I will board the train at 8pm and arrive at my hotel after midnight. This means many hours of wandering Paris but not getting to bed when I want to. Oh well - best intentioned plans don't always work!

But I digress - I am guessing you figured out how to do the trains by now - which was your actual question!

Which train line/system are you referring to?

Which train line/system are you referring to?
You've probably worked it out by now, but it's a train booking service with an android app. And I expect for iPhone as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for responding Barbara. No, I haven't yet. Are you able to provide more specific reference as to the name of the rail system, android app (don't have an iphone).

Thanks for responding Barbara. No, I haven't yet. Are you able to provide more specific reference as to the name of the rail system, android app (don't have an iphone).
This is the website

It's a booking site for trains - it doesn't operate trains.

The French train company is SNCF.

A night in Bordeaux is a good way to do this journey, but if you prefer Paris the St. Christopher's Inn is just across the road from Gare du Nord. Dorm or private room, your choice. Book direct and you get a free breakfast. RER from CDG to Gare du Nord. If it works with your flight time direct CDG to Poitiers, night there, then via Limoges to Bordeaux and onward.
Thanks for that Barbara. I'm familiar with Gare du Nord, having stayed there years ago but will look into St. Christopher's Inn!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back