• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Lisbon to Bayonne

torreyjames

Time of past OR future Camino
(Plan to bicycle the Camino France/Camino de Santiago in 2014)
I recently found a much more reasonable plane fair from California in the U.S. to Lisbon Portugal, saving me at least $2000 U.S., So instead of landing in CDG France and working my way down to Bayonne, I will now be landing in Lisbon and traveling across Spain to Bayonne. QUESTION:
Can anyone tell me the best way to travel my new route?
buen camino,
James and Kendra.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Portuguese rail offers a direct train link Sud Express from Lisbon to Hendaye, France. From Hendaye it is easy to connect with a French train to Bayonne.

Check out this and other travel possibilities including flying on the handy site Rome2Rio.com.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Portuguese rail offers a direct train link Sud Express from Lisbon to Hendaye, France. From Hendaye it is easy to connect with a French train to Bayonne.

Check out this and other travel possibilities including flying on the handy site Rome2Rio.com.
Thank you Margaret...
you have been so generous with your information and time.
I looked at both links, and the SUD express is the way I want to travel to France from Portugal. The other trains took between 18-38 hrs to travel to Southern France... Ouch, that hurts after my 17 hours of flight time from the U.S.
So is it the Saint Apolonia station that I want to travel from? Does the SUD go all the way to Bayonne, or just to Hendaye? And do you know if there is any problems with transporting bikes?
Buen Camino,
James.

So is it the Saint Apolonia station that I want to travel from? Does the SUD go all the way to Bayonne, or just to Hendaye? And do you know if there is any problems with transporting bikes?
Buen Camino,
James.

James,

Saint Apolonia is the station. Sud Expresso is the train; leaves Lisbon 21:18 and arrive 11:38 in Hendaye, France. The note for bicycle transport on this train translated by Google reads
"The transport of bicycles is free and only allowed in bed compartments, with a maximum of two per compartment, provided it is sold in a family system and the bikes are properly packed and do not exceed the dimensions 1,20 x0, 90 m."

From Hendaye to Bayonne and from Bayonne to SJPdP there is no problem transporting bikes on the local TER trains.

Good luck and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
James,

Saint Apolonia is the station. Sud Expresso is the train; leaves Lisbon 21:18 and arrive 11:38 in Hendaye, France. The note for bicycle transport on this train translated by Google reads
"The transport of bicycles is free and only allowed in bed compartments, with a maximum of two per compartment, provided it is sold in a family system and the bikes are properly packed and do not exceed the dimensions 1,20 x0, 90 m."

From Hendaye to Bayonne and from Bayonne to SJPdP there is no problem transporting bikes on the local TER trains.

Margaret Meredith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
James,

Margaret Meredith
Special thanks again Margaret!
Sleeping car with our bikes sounds like the ticket for us!
My problem to overcome now is the size of the box allowed. I am contacting the train operator to re-check that box size; our bikes are a bit bigger than 3' in length... I'm hoping that I will be able to roll my bikes intact right into the sleeping car with us.
The airlines allow your bikes to be in a box that measures a total of 126" that is the formula of: length+height+width equaling no more than 126" Our box's are quite a bit bigger than what's allowed on SUD! We may end up on a small train for 38 hours.
Oh well, they say there is no rest for the wicked... I better get to changing my ways quickly ;>}.
buen camino, James.

James,

No box as such is mentioned in the Sud Expresso baggage info. I assume that you may roll the bikes into your own sleeping-car and by 'packed' it is meant that your possessions are in saddlebags aka panniers. However do check all the information.

I hope that all goes well,

Margaret Meredith

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back