• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

train from Lisbon to Porto?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not hard, though the bus was easier and cheaper! Check out Rome2rio.com for times and fares on the specific date you want to travel since it can vary considerably.

Agree with Vacajoe.
Bus is easier. Faster.

When get off the bus in Porto, go downstairs to catch the metro into Proto proper.
Easy system.
Small bus station compared to one in Lisboa.

If staying over night in Porto, I recommend the Hotel Peninsular.
Rua Sa da Bandeira, 21, União de Freguesias do Centro, 4000-433 Porto, Portugal

https://hotel-peninsular.pt/

Excellent location. Nice breakfast. Old building. Many hikers stay there.

Sao Bento train station few min walk.
Metro (where you will arrive from the bus station) is about a block or so away.
Walking distance to Cathedral. Where you get credentials for the camino.

I have stayed there twice.

Considering prices in Porto keep going up and up. This is a deal.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Take Marty’s advice: the price on that room is amazing! We stayed at a “hotel” which really was just a hostel and our room had a triple bunk in it! Cost us twice the rate shown on the link. BTW, if you have the time, both Lisboa and Porto are worth an extra day or two as a tourist. 🍷

I did it in 2017, an afternoon trip of three hours, from memory. Quite straight-forward and comfortable..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Trains from Lisbon to Porto leave from two stations in Lisbon: Santa Apolónia and Oriente. Both stations have metro stops but Santa Apolónia (at the end of the blue line) is closer to the city centre and easier to reach (unless you’re coming straight from the airport, because the airport and Oriente are both on the red line). You can search for train schedules in English on the CP app (Comboios de Portugal - Portugal Railways) or website.

Useful information I hope to be taking the train from Lisbon on the morning of 15th February up to Porto....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed at the Peninsular before my Camino in 2017 and was very happy with property, service, location and price.

Unfortunately they are book already for the dates I’ll be there in May 2019!

Agree with Vacajoe.
Bus is easier. Faster.

When get off the bus in Porto, go downstairs to catch the metro into Proto proper.
Easy system.

how easy is getting train from Lisbon to Porto?
The bus is great, but the express trains are more comfortable and if you pick the right train can be cheaper. On the trains, if you are over 65, you automatically get a 50% discount. If you book online 5 days in advance you get 45% discount and 8 days in advance you get a massive 65% discount. I always used to use the bus but now

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Useful information I hope to be taking the train from Lisbon on the morning of 15th February up to Porto....
Before you hop on the train, do not forget to have one (or more) of those famous and delicious pastéis de nata-custard pastries Stephen !😎
Passa bem e bom caminho e até mais !
Nel e Albertinho , os seus amigos queridos do caminho Português 😊

Before you hop on the train, do not forget to have one (or more) of those famous and delicious pastéis de nata-custard pastries Stephen !😎
I need the low calorie pasteis, Albertinho. I've lost 13 kgms and don't want to put it all back on before I leave Porto :)
I'll be thinking of you and Nel....

I need the low calorie pasteis, Albertinho. I've lost 13 kgms and don't want to put it all back on before I leave Porto :)

Congratulations on the weight loss! In case you're interested, you can get amazing dairy-free pastéis de nata at daTerra in Lisbon (Bairro Alto) or Porto (near São Bento train station).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Agree with Vacajoe.
Bus is easier. Faster.

Easy system.

Stayed at Peninsular April last year beautiful building, not so beautiful Bed Bugs. Check reviews before booking!

We took the train last year it was very easy and cheap especially if you have a seniors card only €12.50
We were staying near to the station so it wasan easy walk for the 9 30AM train. When you arrive in Porto your ticket covers you for the trip to Sao Bento station Enjoy Porto the pastel de nata are to die for!
Buen camino

We took the train last year it was very easy and cheap especially if you have a seniors card only €12.50
We were staying near to the station so it wasan easy walk for the 9 30AM train. When you arrive in Porto your ticket covers you for the trip to Sao Bento station Enjoy Porto the pastel de nata are to die for!
Buen camino
thank you Cicada, is there two train stations? and is Sao Bento in the city?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thank you Cicada, is there two train stations? and is Sao Bento in the city?
Yes the train from Lisbon will drop you at Campanha station then you take the local train to the beautiful Sao Bento station right inthe centre of Porto. Your ticket from Lisbon will cover the fare to Sao Bento.
De nada

What about purchasing the ticket early instead of at the station? pros/cons

What about purchasing the ticket early instead of at the station? pros/cons
Well I guess buying your ticket on line before your journey has its advantages whatever they might be. But we found the train at 9am ish on a Wednesday at the end of August not crowded ie plenty of seats we did book the day before and were asked for ID to obtain the seniors discount fare !
The walk from Porto was very crowded and very hot and if you're walking in September then i would recommend booking ahead for accommodation especially after Tui

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.