• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Lyon to Le Puy

bobmar

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances hope to do Le Puy to St John Pied Porte 2015
Can any one please advise re buying train tickets. I will be arriving in Lyon 25 August by plane 15.05. I have booked the tickets for the tram to the train station. But need to know can I just purchase tickets for the train at the station. I know that it is possible to buy tickets on line but I am worried that these might be tied to a specific time. I would like to be able to just take the first available train but can't be certain of the time that I will arrive at the station.
Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can buy tickets at the station, they may be cheaper online though, they always have been for me. Of course you run the risk of a full train.

Of course, you can buy your ticket in Lyon at the Lyon Part Dieu station...

Looking at the SNCF site and your arrival time on August 25, there is only one train for you. It leaves Lyon Part Dieu station at 17.06 and arrives in Le Puy at 19.17. The Rhone Express will stop at Lyon Part Dieu. So you will have two hours to deplane, go through French immigration and customs, walk to the Rhone Express station, and take the Rh. Expr. into Lyon.

I purchased my tickets online and directly from SNCF until my last trip. Then my U.S. credit card would not work. Through comments on this board I became aware of Capitaine Train and used them to buy my ticket (and my wife's) last May. With Capitaine Train you just print your ticket on your home printer and present it to the conductor. Capitaine Train will answer your question about the ticket's validity for a future train (in case you are delayed). They respond to questions in English and, based on my experience, do so promptly. I recommend you query them and you can also ask whether a seat on the 17.06 train can be reserved (I don't think there are reserved seats on this train).

Bon chemin.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did that journey in September 2013. I had also booked from airport to train station and then bought tickets at the station for Le Puy. This October we are returning to continue our journey from Figeac to Aire-sur l'Adour - this time flying into and out of Toulouse. Looking at the scnf website for the return journey to Toulouse from Aire sur l'adour it looks like a bus to Pau and then change to train for Toulouse. However I notice 2 different addresses for the bus station in Aire. If anyone has taken public transport from Aire to Toulouse I'd appreciate some advice.
I would not be able to plan this wonderful chemin without all the advice from contributors to this forum
Thank you all very much.

You can buy tickets at the station, they may be cheaper online though, they always have been for me. Of course you run the risk of a full train.
Thanks Siobhan, I'm going to check out the on line option I may be able to get an open ticket that allows me to take any train.

Looking at the SNCF site and your arrival time on August 25, there is only one train for you. It leaves Lyon Part Dieu station at 17.06 and arrives in Le Puy at 19.17. The Rhone Express will stop at Lyon Part Dieu. So you will have two hours to deplane, go through French immigration and customs, walk to the Rhone Express station, and take the Rh. Expr. into Lyon.

I purchased my tickets online and directly from SNCF until my last trip. Then my U.S. credit card would not work. Through comments on this board I became aware of Capitaine Train and used them to buy my ticket (and my wife's) last May. With Capitaine Train you just print your ticket on your home printer and present it to the conductor. Capitaine Train will answer your question about the ticket's validity for a future train (in case you are delayed). They respond to questions in English and, based on my experience, do so promptly. I recommend you query them and you can also ask whether a seat on the 17.06 train can be reserved (I don't think there are reserved seats on this train).

Bon chemin.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Bon chemin.
Thanks, I will check it out with Captaine Train to see if there is an open ticket that I can purchase. I think I should be able to make the 17.06 train but am concerned that there could be a delay. Will keep you posted. Thanks

Yes, it is easy. And at the train station there is a very friendly and helpful information office, we used it in 2014 when we were there.
Maggie Ramsay

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
If all else fails there's a very helpful and multi-lingual enquiries department at Lyon Part Dieu station.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, I will check it out with Captaine Train to see if there is an open ticket that I can purchase. I think I should be able to make the 17.06 train but am concerned that there could be a delay. Will keep you posted. Thanks
Thanks have checked it with Captaine Train, you were right they did provide a quick response. Apparently the train is TER and there are no reserved seats and a ticket will be valid for up to 7 days so no need to worry re possible delay.

Yes, it is easy. And at the train station there is a very friendly and helpful information office, we used it in 2014 when we were there.
Maggie Ramsay
(My Camino in France - Amazon)
(The Italian Camino- Amazon)
Thanks Maggie that is very helpful. I also checked this with a Captaine Train they advise that as the train does not have reserved seating a ticket would be valid for up to 7 days. I like your idea of using a friendly and helpful information office so will probably wait until I arrive. Best regards Bobmar

I have taken the SNCF bus from Aire sur l'Adour to Pau. It makes more than one stop in Aire. Both addresses are probably good.

The most likely stop you'll be using is right alongside the bridge that the GR65 crosses as it enters Aire.

If you have time, Pau is a fine place to spend a decompressing overnight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have taken the SNCF bus from Aire sur l'Adour to Pau. It makes more than one stop in Aire. Both addresses are probably good.

The most likely stop you'll be using is right alongside the bridge that the GR65 crosses as it enters Aire.

If you have time, Pau is a fine place to spend a decompressing overnight.
Thanks for that Bill - I hadn't considered a night in Pau but it's an option if time permits. We have 16 days from Figeac to Aire taking the Cele route. We will take each day as it comes booking accommodation along the way.

That's "enough" time, but much will depend on your pace and the weather.

If you arrive in Aire in time for the last bus at 13:14, I'd recommend skipping rather unremarkable Aire and spending that night in Pau. The views of the Pyrenees are exhilarating.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back