• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Lyons to Le Puy

fortview

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances Sept/oct 2012 , Salvador, Primitivo 2013
Cotswold Way July 2014
European Peace Walk August 2014 (John)
Good morning! We are starting the Le Puy route Sept 5th and looking for some help and advice from this wonderful forum , once again....
We saw on a previous thread that there is a problem on the train line between Lyons and Le Puy. Does anyone know how long this is likely to continue , and how long the journey takes. We are debating whether we will need to stay the night in Lyons . Many thanks in advance!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @fortview, we made this journey last week. There was a bus substitution between St. Etienne and Le Puy. It was all very straightforward - when you buy your train ticket, you also get a ticket for the bus. The bus leaves from outside the train station and was waiting for us as soon as we walked outside.

One small point - there were two Le Puy buses outside the station. The first one filled up quickly and we were encouraged to get on the one behind (which had a slightly different number). This bus was more comfortable and less crowded BUT it took a longer and more scenic route. It was a beautiful journey, which we really enjoyed. However, if you want to get to Le Puy faster, I'd suggest getting off the train promptly and going straight to the bus queue. We dawdled quite a bit as were weren't in any particular hurry to get to Le Puy.

Bon Chemin!

Hi @fortview, we made this journey last week. There was a bus substitution between St. Etienne and Le Puy. It was all very straightforward - when you buy your train ticket, you also get a ticket for the bus. The bus leaves from outside the train station and was waiting for us as soon as we walked outside.

One small point - there were two Le Puy buses outside the station. The first one filled up quickly and we were encouraged to get on the one behind (which had a slightly different number). This bus was more comfortable and less crowded BUT it took a longer and more scenic route. It was a beautiful journey, which we really enjoyed. However, if you want to get to Le Puy faster, I'd suggest getting off the train promptly and going straight to the bus queue. We dawdled quite a bit as were weren't in any particular hurry to get to Le Puy.

Bon Chemin!
Thank you so much for your very helpful reply!

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply!

You're very welcome! We haven't walked this route yet, but we travelled to spend a couple of days with a friend from our first Camino. We ended up taking the Compostel-Bus from Le Puy to Conques and were in awe of the natural beauty. As for Conques - wow!
You're in for a treat - this is a very special walk. It's now very much on my list of future Caminos.

Goodness me, is that work STILL going on. As has been said two buses available outside the station one more or less direct and the other by the scenic route. Make sure you know which one you want and don't be persuaded otherwise; when I went they tried to get us all on the scenic route but I was getting hungry.
Ultreïa

I recently made this trip also. My flight was delayed and my baggage took 40mins so I would have missed the call 1st train and arrived in le put at 2300.
Instead I books d ride on blablacar.fr. my driver waited for me at Lyon airport and took me to my hotel in Le Puy for €12. Took 2 hours

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I recently made this trip also. My flight was delayed and my baggage took 40mins so I would have missed the call 1st train and arrived in le put at 2300.
Instead I books d ride on blablacar.fr. my driver waited for me at Lyon airport and took me to my hotel in Le Puy for €12. Took 2 hours
Wow! That's sounds amazing... never heard of blablacar .... wil look into it. Sounds like a great idea. Thank you.
If you get a chance, please could you give us some more information about how this works?
And Bon Chemin

Last edited:
Wow! That's sounds amazing... never heard of blablacar .... wil look into it. Sounds like a great idea. Thank you.
If you get a chance, please could you give us some more information about how this works?
And Bon Chemin

The website is https://www.blablacar.fr/
You create an account,
Look for the trip you want,
book a place in the car,
pay through the website.

When I arrived in Lyon I was late getting out and my driver was anxious to get going.
He phoned me as the contact details for him and me are recorded on the site.
He then came into the terminal building to meet me and off we went.
No money changes hands as its paid through the website.

Hope this helps

Peter

Thank you Peter- that is really helpful. Will try that. It sounds like a really good solution, Helen

Hello Fortwiew ,

I also use Blablacar many times but my collegue told me about reliable and cheap transfers from Lyon airport , you can contact Mr Binh in Lyon airport , if you are 3 or 4 people , it will be faster and cheaper than train

The blablacar worked brilliantly. We met a lovely couple who drive regularly between Lyons and Le Puy. It went smoothly, and cost us 10 euros each.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back