• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Madrid to Pamplona

SMTuppy

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
Hello!

My name is Simone. I am travelling from Brisbane, Australia, arriving in Madrid on Sunday 13 May. My plan is to catch a train from Madrid to Pamplona the following day, where I will start my first Camino. Wow, how incredible to be writing this!! I am travelling to Spain on a ticket that is not confirmed, therefore I do not want to pre-book the train travel in case I do not arrive on the date planned. Is it possible to purchase train ticket on the day of travel, or am I running the risk of not being able to get on?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some advice on this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are many buses right outside the Madrid Airport door on that day. Here is the schedule. If you wanted to book the bus ahead, you can go to the Conda website:

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 8.28.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-17 at 8.28.01 PM.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Simone, you can check the train schedules on Renfe.com
They are several trains that go to Pamplona each day. The trip is about 3 hours long. You can take a bus from the airport to the Renfe stations or take a taxi (30 Euros) there. A nice and fast train. I took it last year and taking it again April 26.
Buen Camino

Simone, you can check the train schedules on Renfe.com
They are several trains that go to Pamplona each day. The trip is about 3 hours long. You can take a bus from the airport to the Renfe stations or take a taxi (30 Euros) there. A nice and fast train. I took it last year and taking it again April 26.
Buen Camino
Many thanks! Did you prebook your ticket or just get one when you arrived at the station?

I pre-booked. I believe you can buy a ticket and for an extra fee change the train time. You can send them an email and make an inquiry about changes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Simone, you might also take the metro or a train to Atocha station from the airport, I have done that twice. Either are much cheaper than a taxi. Last year we took the train from Atocha to Pamplona then a taxi from the station to our hostel. You could buy your ticket for the next day when you arrive in Madrid.

Buen Camino

Hi Simone, you might also take the metro or a train to Atocha station from the airport, I have done that twice. Either are much cheaper than a taxi. Last year we took the train from Atocha to Pamplona then a taxi from the station to our hostel. You could buy your ticket for the next day when you arrive in Madrid.

Buen Camino
Thank you. I will do that when I arrive at Atocha on Sunday. Appreciate your advice!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When you say you're planning to stay overnight in Madrid, are you coming into Madrid proper to stay? If so, you can get a train ticket at Atocha and I think you can get a bus ticket as well which gives you some options so you wouldn't have to go back to the airport (for a bus). The closer to your departure date you buy a train ticket, the more expensive it will be and, if course, fewer choices. If you're staying overnight near the airport ( eg, Barajas), you could just go back to the airport & take the bus from there.

When you say you're planning to stay overnight in Madrid, are you coming into Madrid proper to stay? If so, you can get a train ticket at Atocha and I think you can get a bus ticket as well which gives you some options so you wouldn't have to go back to the airport (for a bus). The closer to your departure date you buy a train ticket, the more expensive it will be and, if course, fewer choices. If you're staying overnight near the airport ( eg, Barajas), you could just go back to the airport & take the bus from there.
Many thanks. I am staying near Atocha, so will try the train first from there.

Simone it was pretty easy to take the train from MAD to Atocha. I also took the train from Atocha to Pamplona, and the bus from Pamplona to St. Jean. Make sure you are in the right line if buying your ticket at the station or use a kiosk. Also, they only post the platform about 15~20 minutes before departure, so just keep an eye on the listing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No one has mentioned that for those over 60 the tarjeta dorada costs 6 Euros and good for discounts up to 40% off train fares. It can be obtained at the train station when buying the ticket.

Simone it was pretty easy to take the train from MAD to Atocha. I also took the train from Atocha to Pamplona, and the bus from Pamplona to St. Jean. Make sure you are in the right line if buying your ticket at the station or use a kiosk. Also, they only post the platform about 15~20 minutes before departure, so just keep an eye on the listing.
Ooh, thank you for those really helpful hints!

No one has mentioned that for those over 60 the tarjeta dorada costs 6 Euros and good for discounts up to 40% off train fares. It can be obtained at the train station when buying the ticket.
Great thanks! I don't qualify yet, but one day....:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back