• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Paris/Quickest way to SJPDP

frannie z

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: 2022,2023
Apologize -- I'm a nervous traveler, not too concerned with cost - need easiest to follow instructions. Please suggest most direct/easiest way to get from Paris to SJPDP on Sept. 20, 2022. Will leave my Paris Hotel morning of Sept. 20th to meet my walking buddy at a small hotel in SJPDP.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Apologize -- I'm a nervous traveler, not too concerned with cost - need easiest to follow instructions. Please suggest most direct/easiest way to get from Paris to SJPDP on Sept. 20, 2022. Will leave my Paris Hotel morning of Sept. 20th to meet my walking buddy at a small hotel in SJPDP.
Take the morning TGV from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then take the next local TER train to SJPdP.
You must have a reserved ticket for the TGV. The price of the ticket is cheapest the earliest you book it
The transfer at Bayonne for the local train to SJPdP is very simple. The Bayonne gare/train station is small and used to pilgrims.

Last edited:
Check the Rome2rio app for all ways to SJPdP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Take the morning TGV from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then take the next local TER train to SJPdP.
You must have a reserved ticket for the TGV. The price of the ticket is cheapest the earliest you book it
The transfer at Bayonne for the local train to SJPdP is very simple. The Bayonne gare/train station is small and used to pilgrims.
can i book the tgv in advance? will i need to?

Let me double what @mspath said. Take the high speed train from Gare Montparnasse in Paris to Bayonne and then transfer to the regional train to SJPP. To save some money, buy your ticket in advance. In the past, I’ve used the SNCF website both for schedules and for purchasing tickets. From what I can see for 9/20, you could catch a 10 train out of Paris and arrive in Bayonne around 2 pm. With about a half an hour there, you then take the train to SJPP and arrive at 3:37 pm. It’s an easy, comfortable trip. I’ve done it twice and enjoyed both trips south. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are in the USA, there can be issues with using your credit card on the SNCF website. As above, I like www.thetrainline.com which is hassle free, or you can use raileurope.com as well. You buy the ticket, and they send you an email with a .pdf as your tickets. Very much like buying a plane ticket. Print them out, and take them with you, you have to show the QR code on the ticket when you board.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Let me double what @mspath said. Take the high speed train from Gare Montparnasse in Paris to Bayonne and then transfer to the regional train to SJPP. To save some money, buy your ticket in advance. In the past, I’ve used the SNCF website both for schedules and for purchasing tickets. From what I can see for 9/20, you could catch a 10 train out of Paris and arrive in Bayonne around 2 pm. With about a half an hour there, you then take the train to SJPP and arrive at 3:37 pm. It’s an easy, comfortable trip. I’ve done it twice and enjoyed both trips south. Buen Camino!
You're an angel. I'm computer challenged and nervous BUT I can follow these instructions! Thank you.

pretty much repeat of what has been said above but....
just did it on my (WOW.... has it really been a month since i came home?! ) Camino Frances:
booked online March 9th for May 20th departure using raileurope.com
TGV INOUI 8537 - 2. CLASS from Paris Gare Montparnasse dep 10:11 AM arrive Bayonnne 14:05
TER 867309 dep Bayonne @1435 to Cambo Les Bains (arr 14:59) and technically
CAR 405489 from there to SJPdP (dep 15:09 arr 15:52) but they intercepted us in Bayonne proper and put us straight onto the bus and took us to SJPdP so some headaches were saved (although I dont think it would've been too bad... lots of pilgrims in Bayonne so one just has to follow the backpacks, which BTW extends to pretty much the whole Camino "when in doubt".... ;) )
IIRC I was on that bus at 14:15 and we arrived SJ at 15:30

at Gare Montparnasse - the large blue tableau on 1st floor will display all the info and your train should come up roughly 30 mins before actual departure so thats plenty of time to get to proper platform.

Hope it gives you some more info and eases your mind
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
pretty much repeat of what has been said above but....
just did it on my (WOW.... has it really been a month since i came home?! ) Camino Frances:
booked online March 9th for May 20th departure using raileurope.com
TGV INOUI 8537 - 2. CLASS from Paris Gare Montparnasse dep 10:11 AM arrive Bayonnne 14:05
TER 867309 dep Bayonne @1435 to Cambo Les Bains (arr 14:59) and technically
CAR 405489 from there to SJPdP (dep 15:09 arr 15:52) but they intercepted us in Bayonne proper and put us straight onto the bus and took us to SJPdP so some headaches were saved (although I dont think it would've been too bad... lots of pilgrims in Bayonne so one just has to follow the backpacks, which BTW extends to pretty much the whole Camino "when in doubt".... ;) )
IIRC I was on that bus at 14:15 and we arrived SJ at 15:30

at Gare Montparnasse - the large blue tableau on 1st floor will display all the info and your train should come up roughly 30 mins before actual departure so thats plenty of time to get to proper platform.

Hope it gives you some more info and eases your mind
Buen Camino
Thank you. My fellow walker who has done the Camino Frances guided me through the trainline.com site and it was EASY... I've got both the TGV from Pais to Bayonne and inter train from Bayonne to SJPDP... I also went ahead and made my reservation to Madrid.

If you are in the USA, there can be issues with using your credit card on the SNCF website. As above, I like www.thetrainline.com which is hassle free, or you can use raileurope.com as well. You buy the ticket, and they send you an email with a .pdf as your tickets. Very much like buying a plane ticket. Print them out, and take them with you, you have to show the QR code on the ticket when you board.
I know this is an older thread but hoping I can find some help! Planning to purchase tickets from SNCF tomorrow and doing it from USA. What is the problem exactly and what can I do about it?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm not sure if you are going to have a problem. In general, some European websites have problems accepting some north American credit cards. I could not get sncf to take mine, but it's been a while since I tried. As @trecile just suggested, the others will have no problems, but it costs a few bucks more. Try it!

Just wanted to report we had no problem purchasing tickets on SNCF with our American credit card! Thanks for all the advice ...it felt better to be prepared with some other options in case it didn't work! People here are so helpful! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back