• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Paris to SJPP

GGHHI

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Can you take the train all the way? Any suggestions for booking? Traveling on 6/6/23.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes. Change in Bayonne to a local TER train (not possible to reserve that part). Easiest to book Paris to Bayonne with a third-party app like Trainline. But you are probably too early yet - SNCF don't accept reservations that far in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sure it is, I've done it! True, it's not a reserved seat like the TGV, but I buy both tickets at the same time just for convenience.
I thought that was what I had said - it is not possible to reserve a seat for that part of the journey. You can of course buy a through ticket from Paris to SJPDP if you wish but the reservation part will only cover Paris to Bayonne.

Yes. Change in Bayonne to a local TER train (not possible to reserve that part). Easiest to book Paris to Bayonne with a third-party app like Trainline. But you are probably too early yet - SNCF don't accept reservations that far in advance.
I booked both legs together on Raileurope.com.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sadly, the Paris-Lourdes Night Train isn't as good of an option as it should be, and used to be many years ago. Unless you're starting at Lourdes, or wish to spend a day and night there, then a very early train to SJPP.

Give yourself a little extra time to find the right track/train if departing from Paris-Montparnase station. We found it fairly confusing, but we don’t speak French either. We asked several people and eventually found our train (there were two trains on the same track that were preparing to depart at almost the same time). It’s all part of the adventure! Just give yourself a few minutes to figure it out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's easier and faster to fly from CDG to Biarritz on EasyJet, then Express Bouricot transfer to STJPP.

You don't have to do everything like in the movie!

-Paul

Worth lookng now on sncf website. and if necessary signing up for a notification of when tickets are available. I booked three days ago for Paris to Bordeaux and TGV to Hendaye on 3 June

It's easier and faster to fly from CDG to Biarritz on EasyJet, then Express Bouricot transfer to STJPP.

You don't have to do everything like in the movie!

-Paul
I reached out to Express Bouricot for a transfer from Biarritz airport to SJPDP on May 15, but they advised that so far there are no other passengers, so cost would be 96 euro. I'm guessing/hoping I can just sit tight and reach out to them closer to the date to see if they have additional passengers? The alternative would be to take the train from Biarritz to Bayonne, and then another train to SJPDP, which I may end up doing - whichever is more convenient (at a reasonable cost).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I reached out to Express Bouricot for a transfer from Biarritz airport to SJPDP on May 15, but they advised that so far there are no other passengers, so cost would be 96 euro. I'm guessing/hoping I can just sit tight and reach out to them closer to the date to see if they have additional passengers?
I can guarantee you that there will be more passengers on May 15th. May is a super popular month, and they may add extra shuttles as they fill up.

I can guarantee you that there will be more passengers on May 15th. May is a super popular month, and they may add extra shuttles as they fill up.
Yeah that was my thought as well. I'll ignore their request to pay the 96 euro and reach out to them again in a couple months.

Yeah that was my thought as well. I'll ignore their request to pay the 96 euro and reach out to them again in a couple months.
I don't think that you need to pay when you make the reservation.

Their website says:

You can pay in cash or in french check upon arrival. We may ask for a deposit in some cases. If you want to pay by credit card, it is only possible through internet until 3 days before the transfer. Please request the payment link if you want to pay by credit card.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Worth looking now on sncf website. and if necessary signing up for a notification of when tickets are available. I booked three days ago for Paris to Bordeaux and TGV to Hendaye on 3 June
Wish I were that fortunate-- I am trying to book 2 tickets (2 seniors) for train leaving Paris to Bordeaux, St.-Jean station on Sunday, May 27th late morning on sncf site and was not successful. Looked on Rome2Rio site and gave several possibilities, ad when you click on it, it comes up with a long ride on ALSA bus, also expensive flights on Air France-- clicking back to trains, it gives information that no trains are available. Very distressing! Not sure what is going on-- never had this kind of problem before when attempting to book trains.

Wish I were that fortunate-- I am trying to book 2 tickets (2 seniors) for train leaving Paris to Bordeaux, St.-Jean station on Sunday, May 27th late morning on sncf site and was not successful. Looked on Rome2Rio site and gave several possibilities, ad when you click on it, it comes up with a long ride on ALSA bus, also expensive flights on Air France-- clicking back to trains, it gives information that no trains are available. Very distressing! Not sure what is going on-- never had this kind of problem before when attempting to book trains.
Jim,
Your post mentions Paris to Bordeaux. Are you planning a stop in Bordeaux and to walk from Bordeaux ?
Usually from Paris one takes the TGV train to Bayonne and then the TER to SJPdP.

Last edited:
Jim,
Your post mentions Paris to Bordeaux. Are you planning a stop in Bordeaux and to walk from Bordeaux ?
Usually from Paris one takes the TGV train to Bayonne and then the TER to SJPdP.
Yes, I'm planning a multi-day stop in Bordeaux with my sister before involving myself with other plans. I signed up for alerts on when train schedules would be available.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jim,
It may have to do with the public French holidays in May 2023 . Check out this list. May 28, 29 this year is the weekend of Pentecôte. Almost everyone travels then.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In checking into this further, it seems that not all train schedules for the dates I need are currently published.
From an article on "Connextion" (which gives French news in English) regarding train schedules and ability to purchase tickets for departures from 27 March 2023 to 31 May 2023:

Not all stations included​

However, Certain TGV INOUI tickets are not yet available for all dates and routes, the SNCF has warned.

Certain trains that are running from Montparnasse and Massy stations in Paris do not currently have tickets for purchase available for the weekends of Ascension (May 18 – May 21) and Pentecost (May 26 – May 29).

These two stations primarily serve the regions of Brittany, Normandy, the Loire and Nouvelle-Aquitaine.

Bordeaux and Bayonne are in the Aquitaine region. The key words appear to be "NOT YET AVAILABLE" which indicates to me that trains on Ascension (May 21st) and Pentecost (May 28th) weekends will be scheduled later. So I will do a daily check hereout to ensure that I get the tickets I need.

HI @Jim , Often, you'll need to wait until 8-12 weeks before the date you want to travel, and yes it can be complicated by the public holidays. But your trip should open up soon.

One thing you can do is to the search for the date and route of travel, on one of the sites, e.g. SNCF, and then create an alert, and you will receive an email as soon as booking is possible. Saves you checking every day.

I recently did this (from Australia) for four different train trips we are making in France throughout April including from Paris through to SJPP. Worked like a charm. I received the emails and then made the bookings.

I usually book via Trainline as the app is very easy to use, and I have created an account and don't have to re-enter information. But I created the alerts via the SNCF website as they are the originator of the schedules. All the best.

Last edited:
HI @Jim , Often, you'll need to wait until 8-12 weeks before the date you want to travel, and yes it can be complicated by the public holidays. But your trip should open up soon.

One thing you can do is to the search for the date and route of travel, on one of the sites, e.g. SNCF, and then create an alert, and you will receive an email as soon as booking is possible. Saves you checking every day.

I recently did this (from Australia) for four different train trips we are making in France throughout April including from Paris through to SJPP. Worked like a charm. I received the email and then made the bookings.

I usually book via Trainline as the app is very easy to use, and I have created an account and don't have to re-enter information. But I created the alerts via the SNCF website as they are the originator of the schedules. All the best.
Thank you so much for that info! (and also the Trainline app). I’ve reached the point of calm now that I know that trains will be available- just need to be patient about it since I arranged my schedule as such that I need to travel on a holiday weekend.
The people on this site are among the best at pointing others in the right direction!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you so much for that info! (and also the Trainline app). I’ve reached the point of calm now that I know that trains will be available- just need to be patient about it since I arranged my schedule as such that I need to travel on a holiday weekend.
The people on this site are among the best at pointing others in the right direction!
PS. Everyone has their preference for train bookings but another benefit for me with Trainliine is that it covers many countries in Europe, eg. France Spain Italy … whereas SNCF is for France and Renfe is for Spain.

Even though Trainline is a ‘third party’ in my experience it is rarely more expensive and it offers changes, cancellations, refunds - all very transparent in its terms and conditions. My credit card is linked and, over the years. I’ve had to make changes or cancellations and have promptly received refunds. All the best. 😎

Hi

We booked through the SNCF Connect App on our iphone from our home on the Central Coast Sydney Aus April 2022.
Paris Montparnasse to SJdP ; yes changed at Bayonne & Cambo-Les-Bains then a bus from Cambo-Les-Bains all booked before we left home -

If two 80 plus year olds can do it so can you ——

enjoy the adventure

An excellent independent website, for anyone planning to travel by train is https://www.seat61.com/

It is particularly good on the best ways and times to book tickets, and on alternative routes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I plan to fly from Orlando, FL to Paris (arriving morning the next day) then take the train to Bayonne and St. Jean. Is it possible? I plan to give myself a two hour window between the flight and first train ride. If Air France is late, how easy is it to change my rail ticket (Bayonne) to a later time?

I plan to fly from Orlando, FL to Paris (arriving morning the next day) then take the train to Bayonne and St. Jean. Is it possible? I plan to give myself a two hour window between the flight and first train ride. If Air France is late, how easy is it to change my rail ticket (Bayonne) to a later time?
You might be better off flying to Biarritz since you will already be at the airport (of course make sure that the Biarritz flight departs from the same airport!). From there you can get a ride with Express Bourricot to SJPdP.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
SNCF Connect opened bookings today through to end August at least. Sorted our TGV seats to Bayonne this evening. Happy days

The window depends on what station you are departing from.

Last Sept I arrived CDG at 6am and got through customs and baggage claim fairly quickly (under 1 hour I think). So, catching a train at CDG within 2 hours is possible. My wife arrived same time 6 weeks later and it took her almost 3 hours so give yourself a bit of time for the unexpected.

If planning to depart from Montparnasse in Paris, then plan for a 3 - 4-hour window. I arrived at the station about 8:30 am after encountering several long stops on the RER that morning as well as all passengers had to depart the train at Gare de Nord for some reason. Waited for 2 more trains to arrive (1st was packed) to complete the trip to the Denfert-Rochereau station.

There are limited options at the train station at CDG.

Most trains arrive and depart at a Paris train station, with a few continuing on the CDG airport. You will find more frequent and faster train options by first going directly to the appropriate Paris train stations.

-Paul

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back