• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

train from Paris to St jean pied de port

mille327

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot but i can't find it on any of the forums.

I'm trying to plan a one day trip from Paris(CDG) to St jean pied de port on Sept 3 2010. It's a Friday, but will it cost more/will there be less trains running on the weekends?

Is there a way to do it in one day and if so how? links to sites, first hand info, anything is welcome!

Thanks a ton form a first-timer,
claire

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Claire!
Welcome to the forum and don´t hesitate to ask any kind of questions you might have!
The members will kindly help you and willingly share their experiences.

Here some earlier threads that might be helpful
traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic6234.html
traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic6572.html
traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic6706.html
el-camino-frances/topic6382.html
The thread no 6832 guides you through the SNCF- site by translating it from French to English - very helpful if you don´t read French.

And the train tickets can be bought here:
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/
http://www.raileurope.co.uk/

I checked the SNCF- site quickly and it looks there are 3 trains Sept 3 from Paris Montparnasse all the way to Saint Jean Pied de Port:

Aller le Vendredi 03/09 entre 07h15 et 15h50 - prix total pour 1 passager
Départ à 07h15 15h50
A partir de 90.70 € 75.20 €
Durée 09h10 06h29

Aller le Vendredi 03/09 entre 15h50 et 23h10 - prix total pour 1 passager
Départ à 23h10
A partir de 95.10 €
Durée 10h27

And finally the train services from Bayonne to SJPP have been cancelled due to renovations and repairs on the tracks until June 30. There has been a scheduled bus instead.
el-camino-frances/topic7341.html#p51307
Don´t know the situation whether you have to take a bus or if the train is already running...Don´t worry just get yourself to Bayonne and you´ll see.

I have travelled from Paris to SJPP by train and it is a wonderful way to reach SJPP travelling through the beautiful French landscape, getting youself mentally prepaired for the next day´s hardship when walking across the Pyreneés.

Buen camino - bon route!
annie

I checked the SNCF website for a train from Paris to SJPP September 10 and there is apparently only one train leaving at 13h37: CHARLES DE GAULLE 2 TGV (95) - ST JEAN PIED DE PORT (64)? Does that sound right? I thought there was an overnight train. THe one leaving at 1330 also takes over 8 hours, so won't arrive in SJPP til after 10pm, so I worry about finding a hostel that late.

Is the train station located at CDG?

tHanks a lot!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a night train leaving from Paris Austerlitz at 23.10 arriving at 09.32 in SJPP. You have about 46 min in Bayonne when changing to the local train taking you to SJPP.

Correct only one train from the airport to SJPP.

Three trains from Paris Montparnasse to SJPP
Départ à 07h15 12h10 15h50
A partir de 47.80 € 73.70 € 75.20 €
Durée 09h13 07h27 06h33

In Paris you have to be really sure to get to the right train station (they have about 6 big ones).

Bon voyage!
annie

PS A Metro planner for Paris: http://map.metro-passes.com/paris-metro-map.htm

Thank you Claire! I am navigating these train websites much better now.

Does anyone have experience using the SNCF youth card? Because the adult and youth prices appear to be the same on raileurope.

~so many questions~ thanks again!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The train from CDG airport goes directly to Bordeaux. You will find there is a train just after 10 am which leaves from Paris Montparnasse and it is easy to get a shuttle or train from airport to Monparnasse. This will get into St Jean around 18.30 pm I think, may be even earlier. Pre book a bed at Esprit du Chemin and you won't have problems, Gitti

Hey does anyone know if it is a big production to switch trains at Bayonne before heading out to SJPP?

My train arrives in Bayonne at 15h03 on Sept 27 and departs Bayonne 7 minutes later at 15h10 for SJPP.

Hello,

The SNCF train station in Bayonne is relatively small. To go from the TGV track to the SJPdP track you simply go down the platform stairs and up again at the local track which is closest to the main entrance and parking lot. The actual number of the platform is shown on the information screens visible throughout the station.

Each of the past five times that I have taken this route the local train has waited for the TGV to arrive.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back