• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

train from paris

katharina0107

Time of past OR future Camino
planning on walking the camino de santiago in june of 2013
hello everybody!
I am just trying to figure out the best way to st. jean pied de port....
I either could fly to biarritz or to paris. for sure biarritz is closer but more expensive to fly to and also I need to buy some hiking poles and I am not sure if its possible to get them in biarritz. does anybody have informations about the train (-time,-price,-location,-how to book) from paris? I thought its probably easier to get the hiking poles in paris and the flight would be cheaper as well. only thing that stresses me out about paris is the fact that I cant speak french and that its hard to find your way without speaking french.
that all might sounds a bit confusing :?
if u have any suggestions that would be really great!!!!!!! :wink:
love,
katharina

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
katharina,

Welcome to the Forum!

Relax. I would not fly to Paris ONLY to buy hiking poles! You can EASILY buy hiking poles when you arrive in SJPdP. They are available at these two boutiques owned by the same helpful veteran pilgrim; Boutique du Pelerin, 32 rue de La Citadelle and Direction Compostelle, place Floquet. Here is their French web >> http://directioncompostelle.com/directi ... ments.html

For your journey to SJPdP it might be SIMPLER to fly direct to Biarritz, then take the airport bus to the BAYONNE railroad station (Gare SNCF) to get the local TER line 62 train to SJPdP. This train cost roughly 10 euros. There is no need to reserve; seating is open as on a tram or metro. SJPdP is the last stop.

Nevertheless since you asked here is some basic info regarding trains from Paris to SJPdP..
There are many trains each day from Paris to Bayonne and SJPdP. You can see schedules up to 3 months in advance at this SNCF (French National Rail Road ) link. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/.

1. There are trains that depart from CDG airport. These are SNCF TGV (Tres Grand Express) from CdG Paris 2 airport to BORDEAUX and which then connect with another TGV to Bayonne and a TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

2. The route is generally a TGV train from the Paris Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then a regional TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Generally there are 4 TGV trains to Bayonne from Paris Montparnasse each day and many TER line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP.

3. If you wish you could take the regular overnight train from Paris Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne to connect with a morning TER line 62 train to SJPdP.

Prices vary by your age, the type of train and how far in advance they are booked. You NEED a reservation for any TGV train and it is cheaper to book the ticket well in advance; you do NOT need a reservation for the TER line 62. You can buy tickets on-line. However you can also book everything with a live clerk at the station the day of departure if you wish. If you take the mid morning train from Paris you can be in SJPdP by late afternoon.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

You've already received excellent advice from the pros, Katharina, especially about NOT going to Paris just for hiking poles.

My two cents:
Your decision(s) will be guided by where you arrive in Europe, from where you're flying, and how jet lagged you'll be.

My usual journey is Vancouver, to London Heathrow and, if then heading to the Continent, take the Eurostar to Paris on arrival day. It works for me because I fly on Air Canada Miles and from Vancouver, London is the easiest & direct, connection to Europe. I also usually have business to do in London, Paris or Brussels before heading south to Pays Basque so slightly different motives.

If the Eurostar train ("Chunnel") from London to Paris is booked well in advance, there are cheap prices and good timings to Paris (Gare de Nord) from London (St. Pancras). By then I'm usually knackered, so overnight in Paris at a decent 1* near Montparnasse Station.

From Paris, Montparnasse Station, take (an early) fast SNCF/TGV train to Bayonne (5+hrs) which allows you a pleasant ride south through beautiful country before arriving at Bayonne with plenty of time to get the 1+ hour milk train to SJPdP the same day (and get your bed/buy your poles in SJPdP)

If you're booking the Eurostar Train (London to Paris) or the TGV Train (Paris to Bayonne), try to stay away from the generally expensive "RailEurope" site --use "Eurostar's" own site (print your ticket at home" and the "SNCF" site with similar options for getting your tickets). Although I checked one ways on both RailEurope ($140) and SNCF (100Euros), Paris to Bayonne, on June 21, so it looks like their fares are roughly comparable for this trip that day; I was surprised.

If you decide to fly from the UK or Paris to Biarritz/Anglet (Bayonne) airport (another good choice) you have several options of from where and with whom to fly. The advantage is you get to Bayonne and the connection to SJPdP quickly by air; albeit with some possible running around in the UK or elsewhere from airport to airport once you're on the ground from your original departure in NAmerica, Auz, etc.

All that said, your profile indicates you're planning the Camino in June 2013, so time's a wasting, and travel prices are rising. Don't worry too much about language issues at the French train stations, generally the folks behind the counters at Montparnasse and Bayonne do just fine "en Anglais".

A suggestion: in France, if your French is lacking, write down in advance on a brief itinerary where your're going (train station/"gare"; hotel/"hotel"--with the address) in the event you wind up in a taxi; the driver will know. This would only apply in Paris, as Bayonne and SJPdP Stations/Gares, require no navigation skills; especially the latter...:=)

Have fun, no worries; sign language, patience and a sense of humour will get you through.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buy telescoping walking poles before you leave. For travel, tie them to your pack or better yet put them in your pack. That way you get to shop around rather than buy whats there. REI and MEC are good places to buy on line.

If you buy there buy in Spain; prices will likely be lower.

I had one pole. I tied it to my pack because it was cool weather and the pole radiated heat away from my hand. You don't really need walking poles; they are 'nice to have' items.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back