• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Santiago to Madrid

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
We are flying out of Madrid on 28th April. Planning on arriving in Santiago some time around 20-25th April - depending on rest days etc. I would like to spend a day trip to Finisterre and Muxia if possible. We might want to spend a few days in Madrid. Who knows??!?

Given I dont know when we will even arrive in Santiago, how easy will it be to get a train at short notice from Santiago to Madrid at end April? There will be 4 of us. Not keep on flying as I dont trust the budget airlines to get us there in time..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Lance - I was thinking more along the lines of seats being sold out for last minute bookings but I am thinking if there are that may trains we should be ok.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are concerned you could always book tickets when you have more of an idea when you’ll finish.

When I finished the Camino in September 2016 I had no problem getting a last minute ticket from Santiago to Madrid. But last year in August, the trains and many busses were sold out, but I think that was because half of Europe goes on holiday in August. :D

Or, you could take one of the many 1hour flights from Santiago to Madrid. It’s an option.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are flying out of Madrid on 28th April. Planning on arriving in Santiago some time around 20-25th April - depending on rest days etc. I would like to spend a day trip to Finisterre and Muxia if possible. We might want to spend a few days in Madrid. Who knows??!?

Given I dont know when we will even arrive in Santiago, how easy will it be to get a train at short notice from Santiago to Madrid at end April? There will be 4 of us. Not keep on flying as I dont trust the budget airlines to get us there in time..
We waited until we got to Burgos and then planned when we wanted to arrive back in Santiago, given that we wanted to spend our last three days in Muxia/Fisterre. Travel agents in Burgos and in Santiago were very helpful at booking us in Muxia and back to Madrid. Train from Santiago to Madrid, overnight in a beautiful hotel Neuvo Boston, free shuttle to airport, not too expensive.

Don't take the train. It's a long boring ride. Iberia had dependable 1 hour flights for slightly more than the train. I've done both. You can buy the tickets on your smart phone when you know your dates and there are several flights to choose from.

Loved the train - a nice relaxing trip. I guess you could call it boring, but for us it was less hectic than getting to and from airports. I caught up on my blog; my husband slept. We did book it at the last minute, but that was the end of November. I don't know if that's busy season or not; although Madrid was more crowded than I expected, with people coming to the Christmas markets. 5 1/2 hours though; 36.55 Euros.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a major Spanish holiday starting Friday April 27 that will likely impact your travels. Plan to have your reservations made asap or avoid traveling between April 27 & May 2. Maybe try to get to Madrid by April 25 to sightsee a few days, then you can easily bus or metro or train (Cercanias) to the airport. Metro is the slowest way to the airport but very easy. Make your lodging reservations in Madrid now though.

There is a major Spanish holiday starting Friday April 27 that will likely impact your travels. Plan to have your reservations made asap or avoid traveling between April 27 & May 2. Maybe try to get to Madrid by April 25 to sightsee a few days, then you can easily bus or metro or train (Cercanias) to the airport. Metro is the slowest way to the airport but very easy. Make your lodging reservations in Madrid now though.

Thank you so much for this warning. Out of interest, what is the holiday?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Flying is a great option; Europe has loads of cheap flights. If you understand all the requirements (i.e. with RyanAir, you must print out your boarding pass before going to the airport or they charge you a ridiculous fee to print it for you; if you're going to check luggage, make sure you request that WHEN YOU BUY THE PLANCE TICKET to save a bundle, etc, etc, etc.) As much as I like the train, you can get cheap tix if you are flexible about your flight dates.

You shouldn’t have a problem. I traveled by train from Santiago to Madrid in November. I bought my ticket at the Renfe office in the old town a day or so before I took the train.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We bought our train tickets the same day to Madrid last September the train was half full. The train station is about one mile walk from the Santiago Cathedrale.
Buon Camino

I've never heard of it being full . . . but despite being called "express" it takes the whole damn day to get to Madrid, stopping five or six times, E39 airfare sounds like the way to go.

Flying is a great option; Europe has loads of cheap flights. If you understand all the requirements (i.e. with RyanAir, you must print out your boarding pass before going to the airport or they charge you a ridiculous fee to print it for you; if you're going to check luggage, make sure you request that WHEN YOU BUY THE PLANCE TICKET to save a bundle, etc, etc, etc.) As much as I like the train, you can get cheap tix if you are flexible about your flight dates.

Silly me,I pressed the button before booking my backpack on Iberia Express to Madrid.I suppose it will cost lots to add it at the airport ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Silly me,I pressed the button before booking my backpack on Iberia Express to Madrid.I suppose it will cost lots to add it at the airport ?
Not sure, I have no experience with that airline. But on Ryanair, you can go online and add a checked bag. It's more $ than if you had done it when booking the ticket but still less than doing it at the airport. Try Iberia's website for your options. Good luck.

I was in Santiago first week in May 2016 and had to get to Madrid to fly out. I walked to the train station the night before to purchased my ticket. Took a taxi the next morning as the train was scheduled to leave really early. That was it, really easy.

I've never heard of it being full . . . but despite being called "express" it takes the whole damn day to get to Madrid, stopping five or six times, E39 airfare sounds like the way to go.

One person's whole damn day is another person's relaxing decompression. I have been on full trains to Madrid from Santiago more than once. It is best to book your tickets as soon as possible as there are a limited number of trains. If you are over 60, buy the tarjeta dorada at time of purchase for very nice discounts. Another option is the bus. Alsa offers frequent (9) departures and discounts for seniors, as well as first-class buses (with drinks and an espresso machine).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back