• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from Santiago to Madrid

The Anacortesians

Take a walk, its good for your soul
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP 24 April 2016 - Santiago de Compostela 27 May 2016
When we finished our Camino in May 2016 we booked the train from Santiago to Madrid. The train ran about an hour or so and stopped to transfer all passengers to busses then a couple hours on a bus and back on the train before getting to Madrid.

Does anyone know if the train system between Santiago and Madrid has been completed? We’re planning on a Portuguese Camino in 2019 and may fly into Lisbon and out of Madrid and would like to use the trains in country.

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took the train all the way from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid on May 20, 2016. There was not an issue of the "system needing to be completed." Sometimes there is maintenance work being done or oddly timed or located rail strikes. You should be fine in 2019.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A friend took the train from Santiago to Madrid just a few weeks ago - no bussing involved ;-)

BC SY

Train all the way in June 2018 too.

You need to get to the trainstation in Santiago. I think it was line 5 from the bus stop in Santiago center. It will say so on the sign ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In the summer, I'd book the train ticket ahead of time. In 2017, I got into Monte de Gozo at 1:00 and then decided to run to the train station and book a ticket for two days later from Santiago to Madrid. Booked on most days. I had to book a train to Leon, and then a different train from Leon to Madrid. It was a hassle and it was a long day of around 9 hours because of stops. There has to be a better way than the way I did it.

I took that train ride in June of 2015. Must have been maintenance issues in 2016.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also, the train station is no more than a 30 minute walk from the cathedral, as I remember it.

I had to renew my Australian passport in Madrid last year [I won't go into why, as it is too embarrassing]. I could not fly without my passport so took the train, and did the SdC/Madrid/SdC round trip in the one day - no changes either way.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Perhaps someone in Spain can offer more information. This is just my perspective from the USA. The OP was suggesting that the rail system was incomplete between SdC and Madrid in 2016 to explain why they had to leave the train and take a bus for part of the trip. Because I rode the train a week before they did I knew that this could not be true. I vaguely remember mention of rail strikes during that time. My impression and from limited internet research is that various rail strikes can be called to last only a day or two, announced in advance but that only some, not all, service will be interrupted. The point being that the, as each of you have reiterated, the OP need not be concerned about not being able to use the trains. From the standpoint of a foreigner, this is just one of the "cultural quirks" that we learn about Spain. True?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
At first, I thought the need for a "bus-around" in 2016 was due to the train accident that killed 80 people southwest of Santiago, but that was in July of 2013.

From Santiago I took the train not to Madrid, but to Paris which was an unusual experience in itself...

When we finished our Camino in May 2016 we booked the train from Santiago to Madrid. The train ran about an hour or so and stopped to transfer all passengers to busses then a couple hours on a bus and back on the train before getting to Madrid.

Does anyone know if the train system between Santiago and Madrid has been completed? We’re planning on a Portuguese Camino in 2019 and may fly into Lisbon and out of Madrid and would like to use the trains in country.

Thanks
If you are going straight to the airport, the bus from Santiago goes there. Only one transfer in Madrid, and the buses are side-by-side so very straightforward. It 's longer and overnight but I used it the last time without any issues.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi , I took the 7:48 from Santiago to Madrid on 18 September last with no problems. Arrived in Madrid-Chamartin at 13:10. I did notice quite a bit of work upgrading the line after Ourense.

I traveled by train from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid and back late October, 2017. Had to change trains at Ourense, a very easy few steps across the platform. The trip from Madrid back to SdC was the same, with an easy change in Ourense. The locomotives used from Santiago to Ourense were diesel-powered. We changed trains at Ourense, and it seemed the same - no overhead electric lines, and a very mountainous ride from Ourense to Zamora. As we approached Zamora, I noticed overhead electric lines, and when we stopped, I watched the diesel-powered locomotives "become" electric-powered, by raising the connectors to the overhead electric lines. These were dual-mode locomotives, diesel to Zamora, electric to Madrid. After Zamora, the train speed was noticeably faster.

My feet enjoyed the break from walking...the train ride was a nice break after walking the Camino Frances.

Buen Camino,

--jim--

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks

That may have been for one of two reasons - track work or industrial issues. I have travelled this route twice - 2015 & 2017. In 2015 it was a straight through service (I think it was a 9.25 am departure. I 2017 it was an earlier train (around 8.30 am - different time of year no 9.25 service) and we changed trains around Zamora, but it was straight on to another train and with Spanish efficiency we just went to the same carriage number and same seats. If your Spanish is up to it have a look at the RENFE web site for info on track upgrades etc. I recall there was AVE (the Spanish equivalent of a TGV) track-work going on as we passed in 2017. Cheers

Took the 9:30 AM to Madrid-Chamartin from Santiago on Oct 27th this fall.
I had one transfer at Ourense which was a snap.
5 hours total.
Then took the commuter train to from Chamartin to Madrid-Barajas Airport.
Easy and fast.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back