• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train from SdC to Madrid

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'll need it for June. Do I get it now? Do I have to join a Renfe club or something?
in an earlier thread ‘High Speed train Santiago to Madrid’. there was discussion about the faster trains being booked out ahead in the busy times . Generally the earlier you book the cheaper the journey but I’m not sure about this route in June.
You can go to the RENFE website, they do have an app in English but if you read the earlier thread it seems a little difficult to use unless you have PayPal. You can book with booking sites such as Europe Rail for a small fee, apparently their site is easier to use. Have a look at the discussion on that thread .

I'll need it for June. Do I get it now? Do I have to join a Renfe club or something?

As others have mentioned, it is always cheaper if the ticket is purchased further in advance. I've found PayPal works great on the Renfe site. N American credit cards not so much.

You can also download the Renfe app. Some classes of tickets can be cancelled (thru the app) up to 5 minutes before the train departs. There is a small penalty incurred if you cancel, but I have no direct experience with the process - I've never had to utilize it. I don't know if the third party websites have the same proviso for cancellation. Anyone know?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
in an earlier thread ‘High Speed train Santiago to Madrid’. there was discussion about the faster trains being booked out ahead in the busy times . Generally the earlier you book the cheaper the journey but I’m not sure about this route in June.
You can go to the RENFE website, they do have an app in English but if you read the earlier thread it seems a little difficult to use unless you have PayPal. You can book with booking sites such as Europe Rail for a small fee, apparently their site is easier to use. Have a look at the discussion on that thread .
You can also use Trainline. No issue’s with USA credit cards.

€46,-
We use trainline as well. The June tickets are plentiful for now. We're waiting for the July release though.
I was checking daily- June only released yesterday. The alert from Rail Europe came through just after I booked on Renfe so it is probably worth settling up .

I was checking daily- June only released yesterday. The alert from Rail Europe came through just after I booked on Renfe so it is probably worth settling up .
Yes. I am also checking daily. I could see the routes and times for several days before they were available for purchase though.

As others have mentioned, it is always cheaper if the ticket is purchased further in advance. I've found PayPal works great on the Renfe site. N American credit cards not so much.

You can also download the Renfe app. Some classes of tickets can be cancelled (thru the app) up to 5 minutes before the train departs. There is a small penalty incurred if you cancel, but I have no direct experience with the process - I've never had to utilize it. I don't know if the third party websites have the same proviso for cancellation. Anyone know?
At least the trainline app has the cancellation option depending on which ticket you purchase. Don't know about the other services.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes , initially it says no trains available, then trains full, then “bingo” up they pop. It’s torture for control freaks like me. 😉
I've done this enough now not to worry too much, but our very first train trip in 2019 in Spain we tried to buy tickets upon arrival in Madrid at the Renfe ticket counter at T4 and found seats to Santiago almost booked up. We had to wait until late that day and then sit in 2 different cars.. Another time in 2018 we couldn't get tickets at all over a holiday and had to rent a car for our Hospitalero time in Zamora in order to make it to our return flight. It depends on when you are traveling and how much flexibility you have in your schedule.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always use Trainline to book my tickets; very simple website to use in English and using a credit card is no problem. I don't mind paying a few dollars more because it is a real convenience and worth it to me.
I used Trainline to buy train ticket Madrid to Pamplona a couple weeks ago for May 16. Super easy and quick and has a phone app to keep track of ticket. Going to purchase Santiago to Madrid in the couple of days.

Trainline; as well as having the same cancellation options as RENFE-direct also now passes through your email to RENFE such that you get notification of delays and cancellations.

I’ve used the cancellation option through Trainline (and ALSA - which has a very straightforward app) and had a refund within minutes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I paid $56 for the high speed train from Santiago to Madrid in late May booked ten weeks in advance.
The fares differ vastly depending on when you are travelling and how long before the dates they open the bookings. June bookings only opened last Saturday. I have been checking the site daily since early March and had the RailEurope alert set ( it came through). The fares are set by RENFE . $56 is very cheap . Well done.

Yes, I checked for mid month and could take a late train for about 15 euros, but trains in morning ormid-day were much more. I have a Dorada card for sr citizens so get a significant discount off the regular price.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, I checked for mid month and could take a late train for about 15 euros, but trains in morning ormid-day were much more. I have a Dorada card for sr citizens so get a significant discount off the regular price.
I had researched getting a Dorada card but it seemed that they can only be applied for iinitally in person in Spain. Renewals can be done online so I will definitely get one once I arrive. Is this right J Wihaus?

You have to buy it in person at a Renfe station. It lasts a year and I think you have to renew in person. I will report back if you can somehow renew online. We will renew ours this summer while we are there. I bought my first one in late June last year.

You have to buy it in person at a Renfe station. It lasts a year and I think you have to renew in person. I will report back if you can somehow renew online. We will renew ours this summer while we are there. I bought my first one in late June last year.
This indicates that you can renew online.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
CC can I asked where you purchased the ticket. Searching from Aus shows very high pricing.
I purchased the ticket from Trainline on March 12th, 2023 for a May 23rd departure from Santiago at 10:20am, arrival in Madrid at 13:42pm.
I'm sure there are many variables depending on how early or late you make your booking, the time of year and also the time of day you choose.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This indicates that you can renew online.

Thanks for this. I will try it, but I have never had much luck with Renfe or the App as it has never accepted my US credit card number. I will report back if it works. Otherwise I will renew when we are in Spain this summer. By the way, my Dorata is a little slip of paper and not the sleek credit card shown in the photo.

Thanks for this. I will try it, but I have never had much luck with Renfe or the App as it has never accepted my US credit card number. I will report back if it works. Otherwise I will renew when we are in Spain this summer. By the way, my Dorata is a little slip of paper and not the sleek credit card shown in the photo.
Try PayPal for the RENFE site.

Searching from Aus shows very high pricing.
Some routes may vary more than others, but I have been watching the route from Madrid to Valencia, over weeks now. The basic price (with Tarjeta Dorada discount) for the specific train I want, have fluctuated from €10 to €75 without any obvious pattern. If you have time, you can look through different days for the range of prices, watch the one you want, and then pounce when the price is good. I bought it at €10 :). If the next train goes down to that price, I might buy a ticket for it as well, in case I miss the first one.

€46,-
Some routes may vary more than others, but I have been watching the route from Madrid to Valencia, over weeks now. The basic price (with Tarjeta Dorada discount) for the specific train I want, have fluctuated from €10 to €75 without any obvious pattern. If you have time, you can look through different days for the range of prices, watch the one you want, and then pounce when the price is good. I bought it at €10 :). If the next train goes down to that price, I might buy a ticket for it as well, in case I miss the first one.
That’s interesting- I had assumed that prices didn’t go down once the tickets were released - only up, worth knowing .

How do you sign up for alerts? I'm traveling in Sept and want to purchase tickets as soon as they become available.
There may be a way, but I just keep checking back every few days. I use Trainline mainly because it is in English, but there may be a way to set alerts.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back