• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Lisbon to Porto?

Lmsundaze

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2016), CP (2017)
I am flying to Lisbon and starting to walk from Porto after spending a few days in Lisbon. My thought was to take the train or bus, if I take the train to I need tickets in advance? Which train stations should I use? Thanks for the help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Lmsundaze.
We did just that last year. Booked the "big train" tickets in advance. From memory I think we used the Loco2 website. Try looking on Seat61.com for advice.
From the airport to the train station we bought a ticket on the day at a platform machine. Easy enough.
However, the train ride from the airport to the train station took far longer than I'd imagined! We ended up running the length of several platforms and boarded moments before the doors closed. Give yourself more time than you'd expect for the transition.
Other than that it was a nice trip up to Porto.
Bom Caminho

I am flying to Lisbon and starting to walk from Porto after spending a few days in Lisbon. My thought was to take the train or bus, if I take the train to I need tickets in advance? Which train stations should I use? Thanks for the help!

Hi,

The Portugues railway system has a site in English...
https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/buy-tickets
Just give in the dates and follow the instructions.

Good luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi, Lmsundaze,
I have bought tickets at the last minute for this route without any problem. The trains are frequent enough that you shouldn't have a problem, but if you will worry, I'm sure buying it upon your arrival a few days before departure will be fine.

You have two train station choices. One is the in-town Santa Apolonia, it's the older station, near the Alfama and the river. The other is the new modern Oriente train station designed by Calatrava and quite a sight to behold! It is at the edge of town at the Expo site, near the riverwalk and all its amenities. All trains will stop at both stations (I'm virtually certain about that), the Oriente stop will be a few minutes after the Santa Apolonia stop. If you are going to be staying in central Lisbon, Santa Apolonia is obviously easier. There is a metro stop at both, but the metro out to Oriente is a LONG ride, so I wouldn't go there unless you are staying in the Expo area.

I too have bought tickets last minute with no problems.

All trains will stop at both stations (I'm virtually certain about that)
Two trains do not stop in Santa Apolónia because they are coming from south (Faro) and they go through Entrecampos station and then Oriente station; other then that, you are correct :p

I would buy the tickets online only because (sometimes) you can get really good discounts and can choose the seat; but buying the tickets on the spot is not a problem.

€46,-
I would buy the tickets online only because (sometimes) you can get really good discounts and can choose the seat; but buying the tickets on the spot is not a problem.

Hi, I have also got huge discounts on the trains in Portugal by buying at least 4 days in advance, either online, or at a train station ticket office.
Jill

For the benefit of older pilgrims, if you follow the link provided by @SabineP you will find age-related discounts available for travel by train in Portugal.

For the benefit of older pilgrims, if you follow the link provided by @SabineP you will find age-related discounts available for travel by train in Portugal.
That is my plan, I am OLD and have reservations in both Lisbon and Porto. Thanks to all for answering my question

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walked it in May this year (2017). Had some very rainy days!

I purchased bus ticket the night before. Just to have it. Bus was about half full.

I rode the bus. Had three stops: Fatima (been there before, so was nice seeing it again from the bus), Leiria, and Coimbra (been there many times before).

Journey time is 4.5 hours. A single ticket from Lisbon to Porto costs €19/€9/€15 (adult/child/senior) and can be purchased online at www.rede-expressos.pt or at the Sete Rios Bus Station.

Bus departs Sete Rios Bus Station in Lisboa and arrives at Casa da Musica in O Porto.

If you ride bus to O Porto, you can catch metro at Casa da Musica to center of Porto.

About the walk: I rode the local train a few stops out of O Porto. To avoid the traffic, factories, etc. I did not do the coastal route.

First stop was Casa Julia. She is wonderful! Good place to stay. Cafe around the corner from Casa Julia to eat at. When entering town watch for the signs for Casa Julia. It is one block off the main street in town.

Walking tours Lisboa and O Porto are great. If you have time I recommend them.

Good luck..

Last edited by a moderator:
You could consider my favourite option flying to Porto from Lisbon daily flights with Ryan air are very competitive price wise ( as long as you have only carry on baggage ) not sure when you are going but checking prices for September the average is between 16 and 20 euro with some dates as low as 10 euro .
Alan

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back