• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Pain Camino Del Norte

Juno

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino French Way (2012 - 2014)
SJPDP - Sahagun (June 2015)
Sahagun - Muxia (June 2016)
Why can’t I find accurate train times on any of the websites, even for a week ahead?
I’ve tried adding via’s, and Madrid all stations, instead of Madrid Chamartín yet half the times are not shown! Yet on Google I can see them. I want to get the 11:48 train from Madrid Chamartin to Avilés via Oviedo in June on a Tuesday. I look for next week and Renfe did show it but not today. It’s not showing on Loco 2, Train line and others. I put in Madrid to Oviedo and it’s still missing. Also what has happened to the five hour direct train from Santiago de C to Madrid Chamartín at 0900 hours which was available in 2014? Now if I look, the 0939 only goes to Ourense and I will have to change trains! You’d think with the increase in pilgrims the service would be better but it’s got worse. Can anyone advice me if there’s a way of getting the information with more accuracy? I’ve even tried loading Adif but haven’t got a clue what it’s for other than to show how amazing the railway network is! Booking six weeks ahead doesn’t seem to work anymore either. Is there a simple solution as I don’t want to fly or go by bus?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not finding a train from Oviedo to Avilés, only a bus. I did find the Madrid to Oviedo train that you are looking for.

Screenshot_20190421-080442_Firefox.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm not finding a train from Oviedo to Avilés, only a bus. I did find the Madrid to Oviedo train that you are looking for.

View attachment 55618
I discovered after your reply, that putting zero hours instead of 11:00 produced the time I wanted, though not logical. Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply. As to my second question re the return from Santiago de C to Madrid Chamartin, perhaps in May there will be a Summer timetable with a direct train, I hope.

I use rome2rio.com to find out about all my options in getting from point A to B. It will tell you if you can go train the whole way, or bus, pr plane or any combination thereof. You can drill down on the options to see how the alternatives work out best for you. It's the best one stop problem solver I've come across.

I discovered after your reply, that putting zero hours instead of 11:00 produced the time I wanted, though not logical. Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply. As to my second question re the return from Santiago de C to Madrid Chamartin, perhaps in May there will be a Summer timetable with a direct train, I hope.
Yes, you have to put in 00:00 hours to get the entire schedule for the day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are using the RENFE website then I understand your frustration, it is hopeless. Once it told me that there was no direct train between SDC and Madrid. I just went to the actual SDC station and booked a ticket there for the next day on the 'non-existent' train. Someone above suggested using Rome2Rio and I can endorse that.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.