• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Paris to SJPdP in January

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
I am now having a problem seeing any train from Paris (CDG) through to St. Jean on 13 January.
It was there a short time ago but I can not get the schedule to show now. It simply says there is no service.
I am wondering if this is a winter thing....but it did show before for 13 January.

I need to sort out a simple way to get to SJPdP... if the train is not running. (walking is not an option)

Anyone have any insight or experience in this time frame?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My observation is the SNCF website doesn't give good information for a query asking Paris to SJPdP.

SNCF site works for Paris to Bayonne TGV and Intercites trains for date provided.

The service from Bayonne to SJPdP is SNCF TER --- regional train/bus service. The best information is found on SNCF TER Aquitaine website. If you look up the schedule for TER #62 there are currently two schedules available. One is valid 17 Oct - 21 Nov, the other 22 Nov - 12 Dec.

SNCF TER Aquitaine
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine

October sked
http://cdn.ter.sncf.com/medias/PDF/aquitaine/62-AFFICHE_du_17_oct_au_21_no_ 2015_tcm50-9018_tcm50-35237.pdf

November sked
http://cdn.ter.sncf.com/medias/PDF/..._nov_au_12_dec_2015_tcm50-9016_tcm50-9017.pdf

So its too early to find the TER schedule for January. Try again mid December. The train/bus service runs all year and the schedule never varies ... just whether service is train or bus.

You can't get reservations for TER services ... so no worries till you get to the station. The price remains the same.

The really interesting bit is the October sked shows train to Cambo les Bains and bus to SJPdP. The November sked indicates train for the entire journey ... perhaps the tracks are repaired.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is running just checked using the DB BAHN website.....I also know the trains are running because I was checking the TGV from Paris for a non-forum member for the 9th Jan. also just checked the 13th on the rail Europe site.good to go

remember to type the Paris to Bayonne section only..then

The tracks are now repaired also

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Whariwharangi...Thanks, amigo.

I wonder how I found the schedules and printed them out a month or so ago.

It shows the times, train numbers and date of 13 Jan 2016, including the Bayonne to SJPdP section.
I have one from CDG and one from the Gare Montparnasse but can't remember where I got them.
Glad to hear that the service is still in place.

Whariwharangi...Thanks, amigo.

I wonder how I found the schedules and printed them out a month or so ago.

It shows the times, train numbers and date of 13 Jan 2016, including the Bayonne to SJPdP section.
I have one from CDG and one from the Gare Montparnasse but can't remember where I got them.
Glad to hear that the service is still in place.

I guess you could contact SNCF and ask them. Anything else I could provide would be pure speculation.

If you go to Capitaine train you can type in Paris Austerlitz to SJPdP and there are up to 4 trains /day. The night train runs 4 nights / week as far as i remember,

I am thinking of getting it in February and stopping off in Lourdes for about 8 hours on the way

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
According to an email I received from Voyages-sncf.com, this route has just not been updated yet. (strange, non?) They advise that you call them directly to reserve at...

+33 892 35 35 35 (coût d'un appel international, hors surcoût éventuel selon opérateur).

Another alternative would be to reserve from Paris to Bayonne, then either take your chance that there will be a connection to SJPP based on previous train schedules (i.e. the one you were able to print out that disappeared) or use Express Bourricot. apcaroline@hotmail.com

There is also the possibility that within the next couple of weeks they will update the site to include this route.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the update. I actually rarely reserve unless time is a problem and buying a ticket at the station is an additional time restraint or it sounds like reservations are needed.

I now see that the simple thing will be to leave from CDG2 through Bordeaux.
Hopefully, there is a simple ticket office there. I have froblems with ticket kiosks in France and Spain. It just isn't intuitive to me and my language skills are very limited in this area.

I have also had problems when using kiosks in France because they don't accept chipless American credit cards.

The advantage of buying in advance is that you can get the cheaper fares. I tend to stress about making connections, so I add the insurance which is minimal (3,20) and will put me on the next train if my flight is delayed or I miss it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
BTW, have you considered walking from Orthez? You can get a train there from CDG as well. There is a bus from Orthez to St. Palais, (as well as a bus from St. Palais to SJPP, but there isn't a good connection). I walked from Orthez in 2013 and it was gorgeous - well marked and no other pélérins. In fact, one of my top 2 favorite gites was in Hopital Orion, just 10km from Orthez. Not too sure about winter walking, though. But I must assume that since you've obviously got a lot of experience and you're starting in January, you are prepared for this...

I have also had problems when using kiosks in France because they don't accept chipless American credit cards.

The advantage of buying in advance is that you can get the cheaper fares. I tend to stress about making connections, so I add the insurance which is minimal (3,20) and will put me on the next train if my flight is delayed or I miss it.

My problem has not been the chip requirement....it is just that my Spanish and French is not adequate to understand what I am buying.
I seem to get by in most other things but not the train/ metro ticket machines.
A long standing problem.:confused:

tickets kiosk-machines/train timetables/chipless cards

spent three days in France recently ( went up over the alleged banned Napolean route.met up with five Malmutes dog teams,one owner a French police man from the near by town of St Jean-le-Vieux)).....no problems with the train winter timetables and the ticket machines are very simple to use for international tourists (who uses chipless cards these days)when most American are getting the chip & pin cards. I was very shocked to hear that one bank in Arizona has never heard of a chip & pin card(friend of mine has received her new card now) and other states are up to speed with these cards, there not new..been using them in the UK since 2005.I think most states staring using chip & pin in 2010

its also easy to take cash 200 Euro(the big yellow notes) like I have do mostly(10 x 200 notes will keep you gong for a while) break one down every few days in a large town, start out with a few 50s /couple of 20s & 10s and 5s.

I took a flight to Paris then train from CDG to Bayonne..and spoke to the information clerk in person..some site are confusing during the inter change over.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Grayland

There is Easyjet flight from CDG on the 13th departing 08:30 am landing 10:00 am Barittiz 59 euros/$63. there is a easyjet flight also next morning 08:30 am from CDG to Biarittz landing 10:00 am..price 57 euros/$61..

Dang!!! Who knew those silly high school foreign language classes would come into use one day? ;)
Barb
Retired French teacher

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Flew Easyjet out of five different airports with a group of students, all wearing backpacks of various sizes as carry ons, without a problem.

Ryananir very difficult unless its exact .Easyjet more relaxed,, you need to keep liquids to 100 ml...or buy them in St Jean,you can as I have seen keep your rucksack profile tight.....so it fits in that allowance device.just walk straight to security with your boarding pass ,go through security process and at the boarding gate and if any problems remove and wear stuff..if your taking poles etc I would go for hold luggage

its $21 for hold luggage if you book on line now.....still much cheaper that the $130.o5 train booking online now,just checked for the train leaving CDG for 10 pm departures..
print boarding card up to one month before hand

do you want to spend all day after a long flight getting to St jean...

train from Bayonne 11:10 am and another at 14:55 pm both days.just checked your make the 11:10 am perhaps without a taxi.

having lots of problems on the forum after I log in when I reply to a post sometimes it fails..

recently I have been checking the flight arrival of a daily flight from Philadelphia to CDG which is consistently late.....so spent time searching for other option for someone arriving at CDG, Janaury 9th.........watching this can help to assist.your flight might have a performance of getting in on time...the American Airlines flight from Philadelphia is normally late in the morning. also the terminal your landing at in CDG.....for time to the station for the TGV. so Easy jet looks good even if a night is needed to stay in a hotel in CDG

Easyjet use T2D at CDG

Thanks for the update. I actually rarely reserve unless time is a problem and buying a ticket at the station is an additional time restraint or it sounds like reservations are needed.

I now see that the simple thing will be to leave from CDG2 through Bordeaux.
Hopefully, there is a simple ticket office there. I have froblems with ticket kiosks in France and Spain. It just isn't intuitive to me and my language skills are very limited in this area.

Grayland, if you do decide on the train, there is indeed a ticket office at the TGV station at CDG. If the queues are long, there are also several of the yellow ticket machines out in the main part of the station, and they have an option to choose an English language interface when you start using it, so no need for French. You just have to choose the UK flag (Union Jack) symbol for English I'm afraid!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back