• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

train price?

aoife.x

:-)
Time of past OR future Camino
Im walking the camino with my other half in may 2015 :-)
Hi, can anyone tell me how much the train from paris to st jean is please. . :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

It varies depending on time, date, and type of train.

Try the SNCF website for Paris Montparnasse/Paris Gare d'Austerlitz/CDG2/Massy to Bayonne and SNCF TER Aquitane website for #62 from Bayonne to SJPdP. It works better if you separate the trips.

TER #62 now consists of train from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains and bus (autocar) from Cambo les Bains to SJPdP. The tracks got washed out in April 2014.

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

SNCF TER Aquitaine
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Aoife, we just booked train tickets for April 1, leaving Paris, Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and we paid 72euros for 2 people, one way.
Add to that roughly 10 euros each for continuing from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port on the local line.

Thank you all for getting back to me, you've been a great help :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Be aware that trains have the same annoying tariff system than the airlines -so the same route may have different prices in the same week, or even the same day. That's the way it is.

Obviously we don't know your age. But as a general note the Spanish have the "Tarjeta Dorada" for the over 60s. For (I think) 8 euros a year you get discounts on train travel that can be quite significant. Maybe someone knows if there is something similar in France?

Obviously we don't know your age. But as a general note the Spanish have the "Tarjeta Dorada" for the over 60s. For (I think) 8 euros a year you get discounts on train travel that can be quite significant. Maybe someone knows if there is something similar in France?

Anyone in France over 60 can get a discount on most French trains as long as they do not travel at peak times. You need not be French but simply show your national id or passport when you purchase a ticket.

Another alternative discount method is to purchase a Senior card which is good for discounts for a year. (The current price for the card is 50 euros) Both French methods as described in Frenchtourism.com are printed below.

"Persons aged 60 years and over are eligible for a 25% discount from SNCF (French Railways System). The discount apply only for travel beginning in a "blue" period, when traffic is light, i.e., times other than Friday and Sundays afternoons, Monday mornings and holidays. Please check the SNCF calendars, which are available in France. Or you can consult the "Calendrier Voyageurs" on French National Railways website at: http://www.sncf.fr .

If you plan to travel frequently in France over the course of a year, the Carte Senior may be for you. Reasonably priced, the Carte Senior will allow discounts of 25-59% for one year from the date of purchase. This card is ONLY SOLD in FRANCE."

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The slow overnight train Paris Bayonne is very cheap (35€) inc couchette/bunk, first class 20€ more. Train goes slowly overnight 2145 Paris 0837 Bsyonne next morning. Plus 8€ Bayonne to SJPdP on local train.

loco2.com is a good website for European ticketing in English.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I have booked tickets to Irun on the 3 June returning around the end June and it cost me 51 euros first class for the trip down booking it with Voyages-sncf.com
and the return journey I booked with idtgv.com and it cost me 37 euros for a first class seat

I have booked tickets to Irun on the 3 June returning around the end June and it cost me 51 euros first class for the trip down booking it with Voyages-sncf.com
and the return journey I booked with idtgv.com and it cost me 37 euros for a first class seat

I always buy a over 60 ticket most of the time when the booking is made in advance their is very little or nothing of a difference and a first class seat is just a few euros more expensive and sometimes even cheaper than second class

French TGV high speed train prices rise the closer you book to departure. Thus if you had waited to purchase/book on the day of departure the ticket price would be much higher. All TGV trains DO need to be booked, however. You can NOT board without a reserved ie booked seat.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A couple notes for those booking train travel from Paris-SJPDP (or anywhere in France) from outside of Europe:
- going directly to the SNCF (French railway) site, rather than raileurope.com, will get you much better rates. You will need to pick up the ticket at a SNCF station, however, if you buy online...more on that...

- I saw mention of the senior discount, but if you're a young person who is combining your Camino with other travel in Europe, it may be worth your while to get a Carte 12-27 from the SNCF (you need to be between the ages of 12 and 27 to get it), which costs less than 50 euros and gets you up to half off ticket fares. You need to apply in person with an ugly photobooth photo, but, as far as I remember, you don't need to prove residency.

- some credit cards issued in North America/Australia do not have the metallic chip on the side (called a "puce" in French). When you get to Gare Austerlitz (like me, a little tired and dazed with the fact that you've actually made your connection from the Eurostar through the Paris metro with your backpack and all) at 9 pm, there will be no customer service staff to help you out when the yellow machine refuses to issue your paper ticket because your credit card is, for whatever reason, puce-less (thanks, *bank name redacted*). You will line up for the train with any number of other pilgrims and explain your plight to the conductor, who will send you to another conductor, who will sigh at your puce-less card and your incomprehensible Anglo-Quebecois accent, and issue another ticket to you for whatever the going rate is that day (118 euros, for me). The next morning at Bayonne, after you've shared a car with a snore-y French retiree (did you know that once you've retired from the SNCF, you ride free for the rest of your life?) you and the rest of the North American/Australian puce-less pilgrims will line up at the customer service desk to show proof that you did buy a ticket at a reduced rate. With hardly a hiccup, you will get the more expensive rate refunded! However heart-racing and good for pilgrim bonding this all is, if you can get ahold of a credit card with a chip from your bank before leaving home, it will save a lot of trouble. Indeed, when I got back home, in my pile of mail was a new card from *bank name redacted*, complete with...you guessed it...a shiny gold puce!

I just bought the ticket for about $30 Paris - Bayonne for Aug 25th. This is the express 5 h train.
Here is the website where you can check prices and schedule for other days.
www.loco2.com

A couple notes for those booking train travel from Paris-SJPDP (or anywhere in France) from outside of Europe: - some credit cards issued in North America/Australia do not have the metallic chip on the side (called a "puce" in French).
It is the same thing with automatic machines that sells tickets to the Air France buses at CDG. A lot of frustrated tourists trying a card, then another. As I discovered, you can pay to the driver. But you will need "de la petitte monnaie"; don't try paying with a 100 euro bill.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh I will be only two days behind you. Maybe I'll catch up if you decide to take a break.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.