• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train questions

CSmith

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2017
Hey all,

My husband and I are beginning our Camino in Ponferrada. We fly into Madrid and plan to travel by train to Ponferrada.

My first question is, do I need to buy train tickets in advance?

Secondly, the train connects through Leon and on Renfe.com, the itinerary says under Leon, "1hr 13 m interchange, Intercity #283." Do you think that means we need to change train stations in Leon?

Thanks, all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No you don't need to buy tickets in advance. You do need to buy tickets before boarding.

Worst case scenario is you wait for the next train.

If you do buy tickets in advance you may save money.

If you buy tickets in advance the worst case scenario is you miss your train and you eat your tickets.

I have had flights arrive more than 3 hours late; I wouldn't buy in advance for same day travel.

There is only one train station in Leon. The transfer is from one train to another.

Are you using the Renfe (service provider) website? Perhaps the 1hr 13 min refers to travel time and there are transposed digits? The Renfe site says the trip duration from Leon to Ponferrada is 1:31

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey all,

My husband and I are beginning our Camino in Ponferrada. We fly into Madrid and plan to travel by train to Ponferrada.

My first question is, do I need to buy train tickets in advance?

Secondly, the train connects through Leon and on Renfe.com, the itinerary says under Leon, "1hr 13 m interchange, Intercity #283." Do you think that means we need to change train stations in Leon?

Thanks, all.

No and Yes

No need to book in advance, but it's often cheaper to do so. However, if you're lucky enough to be over 60, the early-booking discount is about the same as the one you get with a Renfe discount card.

You can also take a bus from Madrid Airport T4 to Ponferrada. It's a long bus ride (5 hours +), but it's worth considering if the departure times line up with your flight arrival time.

Buen Camino to both of you!

Please do try to book your train tickets in advance. Yes you could get the next train...but that could be tomorrow. Or the only seats available might be in first class (DAMHIKIJK). Or they might not have 2 seats available on the same train.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I really recommend you spend the night in Irun. We stayed at a small pension, nothing fancy but very clean. (message me if you'd like details) it was handy for the station, shops and cafés. We bought our senior rail cards and train tickets on arrival ready for the journey next day.
At Leon the station is easy to navigate and from a previous visit there I remember it had a good café for refreshments.

I really recommend you spend the night in Irun. . . . Leon the station is easy to navigate and from a previous visit there I remember it had a good café for refreshments.

Did you mean Irun? Is there another Irun? The one I am familiar with is on the North coast. o_O

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sorry, I was confusing their arrival point with another post where someone was flying in to Paris and travelling onwards to Irun by train. Apologies.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.