• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train (renfe) mystery solved!

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
I tried multiple times to buy train tickets today. (I'm not in Spain yet, still in the U.S.). I tried 3 different credit cards, and each time it rejected my payment. I called the bank to make sure they would approve the international purchase, and it still didn't work. After doing some digging, I learned that the renfe site is fickle. I found this https://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_buy_train_tickets_for_Spain and was finally able to purchase tickets.

:)
Susan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I tried multiple times to buy train tickets today. (I'm not in Spain yet, still in the U.S.). I tried 3 different credit cards, and each time it rejected my payment. I called the bank to make sure they would approve the international purchase, and it still didn't work. After doing some digging, I learned that the renfe site is fickle. I found this https://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_buy_train_tickets_for_Spain and was finally able to purchase tickets.

Susan
I had trouble last year buying tickets on the RENFE site, despite the fact that I had registered and used my credit card on the site the year before. I found that using PayPal for payment was the trick.
I have the RENFE app on my phone, and bought tickets on it with PayPal last year quite easily.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
RENFE! It's even more stupid here in Spain. I am trying to book a ticket from SDC to Madrid in June. But renfe changes from winter timetable to summer on June 12. So, the new timetable is not on line even at renfe offices! How they succeed is a little beyond me at times.

Susan

Petrabax is US sales point for Renfe.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola Isca, thanks for the tpi, but still won't let me book for June 12, I can have June 11 or 13. I will renfe office in Leon next week. Cheers
Try the website www.loco2.com I think the 'Guy in Seat 61' refers to it on his website, if renfe have tickets out loco2 will sell them on their site, they also plan and sell journeys across countries and different rail providers.

Hola Isca, thanks for the tpi, but still won't let me book for June 12, I can have June 11 or 13. I will renfe office in Leon next week. Cheers

Let us know how it goes. This is the slowest schedule update I've seen. Its causing conniptions for more than a few travelers.

Try the website www.loco2.com I think the 'Guy in Seat 61' refers to it on his website, if renfe have tickets out loco2 will sell them on their site, they also plan and sell journeys across countries and different rail providers.
Yes, that's what I ended up using--www.loco2.com. I found out about it on the website I posted.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A pilgrim just brought the GO EURO app to our attention. You tell it where you want to go, and it brings up bus and train options. Then you can buy your tickets through the app and print them out. Worked well for us today when we had to buy a train ticket to Madrid. If I hear of any problems I'll post again, but for now I'd recommend it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've booked RENFE tickets on-line 3 or 4 times - most recently, 3 days ago, using my phone, and have never had problems. I use PayPal for most pmts in Europe. Always works for me.
PS I don't have the app.

I called up the CEO and said 'Oi do you know who i am??? I am Irish Bernie and i'm a Caminoista'!!!!!,not only did he get my ticket sorted but he paid for it and gave me his sisters mobile number.The Camino provides ;)

I've booked RENFE tickets on-line 3 or 4 times - most recently, 3 days ago, using my phone, and have never had problems. I use PayPal for most pmts in Europe. Always works for me.
PS I don't have the app.
I think the key to booking with Renfe while in the U.S. must be using PayPal.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is there any reason to buy Renfe tickets in advance? I was planning to buy my ticket from Madrid to Leon when I arrived at the airport/train station. I'm concerned about committing to a specific train which,
if delays happen, I could miss.

Is there any reason to buy Renfe tickets in advance? I was planning to buy my ticket from Madrid to Leon when I arrived at the airport/train station. I'm concerned about committing to a specific train which,
Yes. If you are positive of your dates, you can get very good deals by booking in advance. I bought tickets for Madrid to Pamplona the day that they became available for early July, and got Preferente (first class) tickets for just 24 Euros each.

Price is usually lower if you buy in advance.

If you have a ticket you don't have to line up at the station.
(Lines can be long while automated ticket machines go unused)

You have to weigh that off with potential for late arrival which means you eat the fare.

I'd buy at the station ... and if that doesn't work ... there are buses.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think the key to booking with Renfe while in the U.S. must be using PayPal.
For people with US credit cards, wanting to make reservations from anywhere - even in the country where you are making the reservations, I think it's wise to have and use a PayPay account. The day I booked the RENFE reservation I was in the U.K.

Following on from Ivar's advice I now have the renfe app on the iPad. So at least I can see my train I even now now the dep time from SDC, renfe even tells me there will be a change of train in Ourence. But as for booking a seat, forget it. To book it wanted me to register, provided proof of idenity docs email & phone no's. It did not matter as noon of this worked. Still won't let me book $ pay for a seat. Anyone suggest what I am doing wrong??? Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back