• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Reservation - Barcelona to Le Puy

Florida Bill

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 did Frances and plan to Le Puy in 2023
Can someone tell me the best way to book a train to Le Puy for Via Podiensis? Should I use Rail Europe, SCNF, TGA and what’s the policies regarding cancellation or schedule changes? Also, I guess it’s best to get a hotel in Le Puy at least first night since train may arrive past or near curfew of gites.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As you’re dealing with two separate national rail companies I’d go with Rail Europe. That said “if I were going there I wouldn’t start from????”
That’s London to Amsterdam via Madrid. Starting in Kochin for a short walk in the Hindu Kush. Couldn’t you just fly into Paris?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Barcelona to le Puy is a long haul by train or bus. That is because a very mountainous region in France "blocks" rail travel through it - the Massif Central. Even flying doesn't cut the travel very short. Here is what I found on the useful travel site Rome2Rio.

If you were to fly from the US to France and walk the Via Podiensis across the Massif Central to at least Cahors, you would be much more easily able to get to Barcelona.

I only know this because I once persuaded my daughter to travel from Grenoble, where she was studying, to the Dordogne region. As the crow flies and looking at a map of France, this is a more or less direct route and seemed doable to me. But it was an arduous train ride and our first two days, for both daughter and parents, were painful. (She had brought with her two pairs of skis for us to schlep home.)

I have hiked the entire le Puy route, some of it twice. Loved it. Love Barcelona. So I am not trying to dissuade you.

Bon chemin.

Paris or Lyon for starters, maybe Toulouse but don't even consider trying to get to Le Puy from a Spanish airport, unless you are a masochist and want to take the bus ride through hell for 24+ hours.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Flying from Barcelona to Lyon is quick and inexpensive. There is a train from the Lyon airport to the Lyon train station and there are several trains each day to Le Puy. You can purchase a ticket at the station. If you want to purchase in advance my favorite app is Omio https://www.omio.com/ . I've used Omio to purchase tickets minutes before a train was departing because the station kiosk was giving me troubles. It's great!

If your desire is to take the scenic route by train from Barcelona instead of flying (the cost is about the same). Again, train to Lyon and then to Le Puy. If you break up your search on Rome2Rio or Omio, you will get better results.

https://www.demeure-du-lac-de-fugeres.fr/ in Le Puy is a lovely place to rest after a long journey.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back