• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train reservations and weather

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Is it possible for us to make train reservations from Santiago to Irun for August, in case we decide to walk this route instead of the VDLP?

Is the weather hot or foggy or mixed in August on this northern route?

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm sure Ivar can help you with the train reservations.
Read Annette's diary of her walk on the Norte in August.

http://raunsbjerg.dk

Edit: I've just tried the link and it doesn't work.

Here is Annette's diary in word format.

Attachments

• A Raunsberg Camino Norte Diary.doc
    105.5 KB · Views: 126
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
mdefrayne said:
Hi Silvia,

Who is Ivar? My wife and I were thinking about taking the train back to Madrid after the pilgrimage.

Gracias,
Mark
Hi Mark,

I am Ivar (I run this forum) and i also run the Camino Travel Center in Santiago de Compostela. I am working on getting set up with RENFE to book train tickets, but as of today I can not. I would have a look over at their website:
http://www.renfe.es/horarios/english/index.html
This said, I can book bus tickets in Spain.

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

mdefrayne said:
the train back to Madrid after the pilgrimage

Mark,

Santiago to Madrid is a real treat on the night train hotel. Leaves around 23h00 and gets in Madrid Chamartin around 08h00. The total package includes a sumptuous dinner(champagne to start), beautiful breakfast the next morning and a quiet berth with shower for two persons.
You will enjoy and remember. Go ahead and treat yourself after the walk. You deserve it.

I have done it many times alone and with friends. Always a success!

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Hi Ivar,

I apologize for not recognizing the founder of this wonderful board. This is a really great site, very well organized and probably the most informational site on the Internet. Thank you very much for all your effort.

Most Sincerely,
Mark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jean-Marc,

I looked at the Renfe TrenHotel, very nice. The Cama Gran Classe would certainly be a wonderful end to the journey. I'm going to hold back a bit on making reservation in hopes the exchange rate may move more in my favor. The last month has been brutal on the US Dollar.

Are reservation required a long time in advance?

Thanks a lot,
Mark

mdefrayne said:
Rate of exchange brutal on the US Dollar.

Are reservation required a long time in advance?

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the club on the brutality of the the exchange rate. The C$ is not doing very well either. I just finished doing my reservations for the VDLP at the end of August and I am not looking forward to see how this will all translate in C$ on my credit card account.

Reservations on the Trenhotel to Madrid can be done two or three days ahead of time. At least, that's what I've done in the past without any difficulties, except once when I couldn't get a private room and had to settle for a ''dormitory style'' berth.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Annie,

As of the moment, it is approximately $1.40 per Euro. So, for my wife and I to take the Renfe TrenHotel from Santiago to Madrid, Cama Gran Classe, as Jean-Marc mentioned, it would be 260 Euros. That would work out to $364.00 in US, kind of scary. I would be thrilled if the US Dollar made it back to $1.25/Euro.

Suerte,
Mark

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.